Recruiting Updates | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting Updates

No insider information just a prediction, he has a good case he has lost over a season of games due to two injuiries, and he only missed the medical redshirt by three games this year. There is a history of granting these by the NCAA with players with multiple injuries. More of a hope than knowing anything.

I would think the NCAA would give Coleman an special exception on a medical redshirt, so he may be coming back as a Sophmore.
I think he will need to wait until his Sr year to apply for a medical hardship redshirt year.

For those cases that do not meet the requirements of the medical hardship rule, such as a student-athlete that competed beyond 20% of the season only because of a medical misdiagnosis, an institution always has the
option of requesting that its conference apply to the Administrative Review Subcommittee of the
NCAA for a waiver of the medical hardship rule. To be successful in such an application, the
conference must show that granting the request is in the overall benefit of the student-athlete, is
consistent with the intent of the medical hardship waiver and does not provide the institution
with a competitive advantage. In the next session, we will discuss extensions of the five-year
clock for eligibility.

I think he would have a case since he has missed over 50% of two seasons, and this season only missed it because he was diagnosed with a knee bruise.

I've just absolutely never been more excited to be an SU fan in my life! With the football class coming the way it has to being one of the best in recent years and the way JB and staff is keeping up their end of the bargain... all I can say is that it's good to be a true orange fan!!

I've just absolutely never been more excited to be an SU fan in my life! With the football class coming the way it has to being one of the best in recent years and the way JB and staff is keeping up their end of the bargain... all I can say is that it's good to be a true orange fan!!

Things keep going this well and the university might need to sell me lifelong season tickets to the Dome. Truly is a great time to be an SU athletics fan, lets not forget lacrosse this year too. What a year if SU can be lucky enough to win 2 championships and a bowl game, lets hope.

Hey Francis. PrimeTime shootout is this weekend at Roselle Catholic.

Saturday, February 8, 2014 at Roselle Catholic
350 Raritan Road, Roselle, NJ.

12:00 pm | Gill-St. Bernards vs. Plainfield
1:30 pm | Chester (PA) vs. Lakewood
3:00 pm | Trenton Catholic Academy vs. St. Anthony's
4:30 pm | Riverdale Baptist (MD) vs. Linden
6:00 pm | Pace Academy (NC) vs. St. Joseph's
7:30 pm | St. Benedict's Prep vs. Benedictine Prep (VA)
9:00 pm | Half Hollow Hills (NY) vs. St. Raymond's (NY)

Sunday, February 9, 2014 at Roselle Catholic

12:00 pm | Chester (PA) vs. Union Catholic
1:30 pm | Pace Academy vs. Our Savior New American
3:00 pm | Commonwealth Academy [MA] vs. Pt. Pleasant Beach
4:30 pm | Patrick School vs. Pt. Pleasant Beach
6:00 pm | St. Benedict's vs. Pope John XXIII
7:30 pm | St. Peter's Prep vs. Roselle Catholic

Seriously itching to pull this one off. Decisions, decisions. Timing not great for GSB even though I really wanted to see Battle, but that Malachi game on Saturday seems like a decent chance.

Hey Francis. PrimeTime shootout is this weekend at Roselle Catholic.

Saturday, February 8, 2014 at Roselle Catholic

12:00 pm | Gill-St. Bernards vs. Plainfield
1:30 pm | Chester (PA) vs. Lakewood
3:00 pm | Trenton Catholic Academy vs. St. Anthony's
4:30 pm | Riverdale Baptist (MD) vs. Linden
6:00 pm | Pace Academy (NC) vs. St. Joseph's
7:30 pm | St. Benedict's Prep vs. Benedictine Prep (VA)
9:00 pm | Half Hollow Hills (NY) vs. St. Raymond's (NY)

Sunday, February 9, 2014 at Roselle Catholic

12:00 pm | Chester (PA) vs. Union Catholic
1:30 pm | Pace Academy vs. Our Savior New American
3:00 pm | Commonwealth Academy [MA] vs. Pt. Pleasant Beach
4:30 pm | Patrick School vs. Pt. Pleasant Beach
6:00 pm | St. Benedict's vs. Pope John XXIII
7:30 pm | St. Peter's Prep vs. Roselle Catholic

Seriously itching to pull this one off. Decisions, decisions. Timing not great for GSB even though I really wanted to see Battle, but that Malachi game on Saturday seems like a decent chance.
No local TV coverage of the games out in Jersey?

No local TV coverage of the games out in Jersey?
Have to check again. For a while, they had a bunch of the same games over and over. I hope they bring in the new, but I fully expect them to. Last year, same thing happened and then they added playoff games, TOC etc, so I hope they hook it up again.

http://cusebballrecruiting.blogspot.com/2014/02/28-news-and-notes.html
Updates for this weekend. Malachi dropped 22pts, 14rbs, and 7ast in a victory last night. Primetime Shootout takes place this weekend at Roselle Catholic. Notable players involved are Richardson, Diagne, Battle, Silva, Briscoe, and Diallo.
Going with the boy. Not sure how detailed the writeup will be but we are going to cheer on Mali in full SU gear, the both of us.

Just FYI - GSB beat Plainfield 50-37. Battle scored 21 in his second (?) game back after hurting his wrist in mid-January. His coach was quoted as saying, "He’s still not 100 percent, but this was great for him because they (Plainfield) have athletes who would put some pressure on him and force him to work a little bit harder. It takes time. Three weeks in basketball is like being out six months. It’s good to have 60 percent of him.”

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/article/20140208/NJSPORTS0150/302080016/

Tied with St Ants 22-22 at the half.
Malachi is 0-5 right now missed a three and a few deep twos. Rebounding well and looks to have three plus assists. His coach is on him. He is doing some things well but struggling with his shot.
Thanks Tee. I read Malachi played better in the 2nd half and finished with 12pts. St. Anthony's is always tough, so it's a good look for him to eventually step up and help his team to a victory over them.

Francis, what is the deal with the diange/Bryant spot? I honestly thought Diange would of committed by now.
Man I thought it would've been a wrap by now as well, but I thought the same after Midnight Madness back in October, so what do I know. Anyway I think his HS coach prefers him to visit other schools outside of the NY/NJ area before making a final decision. Cincy, Kansas are some of the schools that he has mentioned before about wanting Diagne to visit. Don't expect things to end early with Bryant. He loves the attention from the big name schools and won't decide until he does his due diligence on the majority of the schools on his list.

Thanks Tee. I read Malachi played better in the 2nd half and finished with 12pts. St. Anthony's is always tough, so it's a good look for him to eventually step up and help his team to a victory over them.
Absolutely. He started to score in the third quarter, lead changes with Ants and were down in the fourth to a tough team. Malachi took over the last few minutes and down one, took it to the hole with a nice little floater to put TC up for good. Decent sized upset even though TC has the talent. Some tough young guards on TC. Malachi effectively plays the 4 and they have a decent big who contested a few shots.

When Malachi was cold, he looked flustered but still had the mind to find his teammates for a bunch of early assists. Also had a good rebounding effort in the beginning and his defense picked up a little towards the end. And yup, I had 12 points on my score sheet as well even though I was juggling kid, pretzel, twizzlers and water bottle as well. :)

Fyi Francis and company: Malachi's best effort came when he started putting the ball on the floor and dribbling left into the lane. Very good to know that he's learning to open his shot up with a little penetration. His handle is decent enough and he towers over all guards, looked to be all of 6'5/6'6. Gets his shot up in the lane easily and sometimes over interior defenders.

Last edited by a moderator:
To add, he took over when it counted but this was not one of his best nights. Started out very cold, some looks were decent enough, but shot didn't fall. He converted a lot better in the second half, but was picked up by his teammates, guards especially #11 and another combo guard were in attack mode the whole game. Still, he got it together when it mattered most.

Absolutely. He started to score in the third quarter, lead changes with Ants and were down in the fourth to a tough team. Malachi took over the last few minutes and down one, took it to the hole with a nice little floater to put TC up for good. Decent sized upset even though TC has the talent. Some tough young guards on TC. Malachi effectively plays the 4 and they have a decent big who contested a few shots.

When Malachi was cold, he looked flustered but still had the mind to find his teammates for a bunch of early assists. Also had a good rebounding effort in the beginning and his defense picked up a little towards the end. And yup, I had 12 points on my score sheet as well even though I was juggling kid, pretzel, twizzlers and water bottle as well. :)

Fyi Francis and company: Malachi's best effort came when he started putting the ball on the floor and dribbling left into the lane. Very good to know that he's learning to open his shot up with a little penetration. His handle is decent enough and he towers over all guards, looked to be all of 6'5/6'6. Gets his shot up in the lane easily and sometimes over interior defenders.
Good stuff as always my man. I especially love the notes about handle. Dribble penetration was something that he had to improve upon, so I'm glad to know that improvements have been made in that area.

Is Myles Powell, the guard that puts up a lot of points along with Malachi a high-major player or is he just a shooter? I think he's only sophomore, so he could be worth a look down the line.

Last edited:
Good stuff as always my man. I especially love the notes about handle. Dribble penetration was something that he had to improve upon, so I'm glad to know that improvements have been made in that area.

Is Myles Powell, the guard that puts up a lot of points along with Malachi a high-major player or is he just a shooter? I think he's only sophomore, so he could be work a look down the line.
Thanks pal. Yeah, funny you mention Powell as I believe he's the #11 I was watching. Just like Saintil last year, he had an and one, bumped hard in the lane while driving and stared down his defender (a big forward) something fierce. Something about these Jersey kids. Tough, very physical for high school ball and really prepares the high major kids for competitive play on the next level.

Not certain about Powell. He's a scorer, can do a lot with the ball and I would definitely liken him to a Brandon Triche type with the potential to be a better scorer. We'll see but as he's young, he might just be the real deal. What I like especially is that he can play with any level. He's put up big numbers against some great teams this year.

I think he's worth a look, but really hope he ends up 6'2+

Last edited by a moderator: