Recruiting Updates | Page 38 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting Updates

Goodman is probably just basing that off rankings. Even though it doesn't matter at the end of the day, we probably won't have a consensus top 25 player coming in unless we get Bryant or Jones. For whatever reason Malachi, who was our top dog in the rankings has seen his numbers in the rankings dip to a point where he's on the outside looking in at the top 25. Zona already have a pair of top 25 guys committed and are strong favorites for Ivan Rabb, Allonzo Trier, and Briscoe. All three ranked in the top 20. If Zona can land those guys then it could definitely rival UK's class of last year. Sean Miller still has to prove that he can do something with all of the talent he's been getting. Elite 8 trips aren't going to cut it over the next few years.

FWIW, ESPN has Malachi at #2 on the committed list (15 overall)

2. Malachi Richardson, Syracuse

When it comes to dead-eye shooting, look no further than Richardson to knock down a shot. This big guard, who is the No. 15-ranked prospect in the ESPN 100, has fluid footwork and a high release with great rotation on his jumper. Most great shooters are good in catch-and-shoot situations, but Richardson is actually better taking a dribble in rhythm and gaining momentum into his shot. He does it with comfort from beyond the arc. In trying to become more than a shooter, Richardson received this praise from his AAU coach Rob Brown: “Malachi has really become a better rebounder and needs to be better on the glass whether he plays in the back or the top of the Syracuse zone," Brown said. "We have challenged him on that and he has responded."

Credit to Diagne. He went up against two sets of nationally recognized front court tandems. Shot 5/7 this morning, 50% I the final with 6 rejections tonight and rebounded the ball very tough, good positioning. He doesn't get a ton of looks but makes them count. Great run by the Playaz.

Goodman is probably just basing that off rankings. Even though it doesn't matter at the end of the day, we probably won't have a consensus top 25 player coming in unless we get Bryant or Jones. For whatever reason Malachi, who was our top dog in the rankings has seen his numbers in the rankings dip to a point where he's on the outside looking in at the top 25. Zona already have a pair of top 25 guys committed and are strong favorites for Ivan Rabb, Allonzo Trier, and Briscoe. All three ranked in the top 20. If Zona can land those guys then it could definitely rival UK's class of last year. Sean Miller still has to prove that he can do something with all of the talent he's been getting. Elite 8 trips aren't going to cut it over the next few years.

Good post. True about Miller but lets not forget they were a basket away and some bad luck in those games from being in the F4 two straight years. I'll gladly take E8s consistently.

Good post. True about Miller but lets not forget they were a basket away and some bad luck in those games from being in the F4 two straight years. I'll gladly take E8s consistently.
Elite 8's are cool but when you start rolling out top 3 recruiting classes every year expectations become much higher. We all may hate Cal, but he has taken UK to three final fours and winning one of them since 2011 with all of those top recruiting classes. Miller will catch a lot of heat if he doesn't start doing the same soon.

Elite 8's are cool but when you start rolling out top 3 recruiting classes every year expectations become much higher. We all may hate Cal, but he has taken UK to three final fours and winning one of them since 2011 with all of those top recruiting classes. Miller will catch a lot of heat if he doesn't start doing the same soon.

It's possible. No question their recruiting is very elite. Better than SU so the bar should be higher. I personally think he is safe if he keeps going very deep in the Tourney and avoids getting bounced early. This past season should validate Miller as a coach if anyone has doubts. Losing Ashley and then a play or two away from beating Wisconsin to go to the F4.

It's possible. No question their recruiting is very elite. Better than SU so the bar should be higher. I personally think he is safe if he keeps going very deep in the Tourney and avoids getting bounced early. This past season should validate Miller as a coach if anyone has doubts. Losing Ashley and then a play or two away from beating Wisconsin to go to the F4.
Oh yeah I don't think he's in any danger of being fired and I actually like Miller. Like you pointed out they were one 3pt shot made and one defensive stop from going to a couple of final fours.

I could coach Kentucky and get to three final fours too! Not really but I hate Cal so much I can't give him credit for being the good coach he actually is.

http://cusebballrecruiting.blogspot.com/
If you want to catch up on anything from over the past week on the live period just hit the link above.

Cuse Commits and Targets Overall Peach Jam and UA Finals Stats

Malachi Richardson 5 games-15PPG, 41% FG 22-53 overall, 3.8RPG, 2.6APG, 32% 3PT 9-28 overall, 73% FT 22-30 overall.

Franklin Howard 5 games-13.6PPG, 55% FG 26-47 overall, 3RPG, 2.6APG, 27% 3PT 3-11 overall, 50% FT 13-26 overall.

Moustapha Diagne 8 games-9.3PPG, 55% FG 31-56 overall, 8.1RPG, 2.8BPG, 65% FT 13-20 overall.

Thomas Bryant 6 games-12.8PPG, 57% FG 26-45 overall, 9RPG, 2.2BPG, 85% FT 24-28 overall.

Harry Giles 6 games-14PPG, 53% FG 34-64 overall, 8.3RPG, 1.1BPG, 56% FT 14-25 overall.

Derrick Jones-7 games-11.7PPG, 71% FG 35-49 overall, 4.2RPG, 73% FT 14-19 overall.

Tyus Battle 7 games-15.2PPG, 44% FG 36-81 overall, 3.5RPG, 45% 3PT 19-45 overall, 72% FT 16-22 overall.

Jamal Murray 5 games-14PPG, 37% FG 24-64 overall, 5.2RPG, 2APG, 28% 3PT 9-32 overall, 86% FT 13-15 overall.

Frank is going to be handling the ball a lot in late game situations. So hopefully that free throw percentage will be much better as time goes along.

No excuse for us to not atleast get back to the final four within the next 3 or 4 years.

No excuse for us to not atleast get back to the final four within the next 3 or 4 years.
Except there are many schools recruiting just as well if not better than we are. And they arguably have better coaching depending on who you ask.

Except there are many schools recruiting just as well if not better than we are. And they arguably have better coaching depending on who you ask.
Not saying i agree with popular belief, but if boeheims really a top10 or even 15 coach then i think with the talent we're bringing in theres very little excuse for short lived tourney runs.

You think the old man will be around for the next 3-4 years?
I think 3 tops but ive been surprised before. 2015 and 2016 are his shots to leacve with a bang and with hop in as best a position as possible

If you want to catch up on anything from over the past week on the live period just hit the link above.

Malachi Richardson 5 games-15PPG, 41% FG 22-53 overall, 3.8RPG, 2.6APG, 32% 3PT 9-28 overall, 73% FT 22-30 overall.

Franklin Howard 5 games-13.6PPG, 55% FG 26-47 overall, 3RPG, 2.6APG, 27% 3PT 3-11 overall, 50% FT 13-26 overall.

Moustapha Diagne 8 games-9.3PPG, 55% FG 31-56 overall, 8.1RPG, 2.8BPG, 65% FT 13-20 overall.

Thomas Bryant 6 games-12.8PPG, 57% FG 26-45 overall, 9RPG, 2.2BPG, 85% FT 24-28 overall.

Harry Giles 6 games-14PPG, 53% FG 34-64 overall, 8.3RPG, 1.1BPG, 56% FT 14-25 overall.

Derrick Jones-7 games-11.7PPG, 71% FG 35-49 overall, 4.2RPG, 73% FT 14-19 overall.

Tyus Battle 7 games-15.2PPG, 44% FG 36-81 overall, 3.5RPG, 45% 3PT 19-45 overall, 72% FT 16-22 overall.

Jamal Murray 5 games-14PPG, 37% FG 24-64 overall, 5.2RPG, 2APG, 28% 3PT 9-32 overall, 86% FT 13-15 overall.

Frank is going to be handling the ball a lot in late game situations. So hopefully that free throw percentage will be much better as time goes along.

Murray's field goal percentage is low (believe it has been out of each period). Could this explain lack of offer (concerns of shot at next level)?

Murray's field goal percentage is low (believe it has been out of each period). Could this explain lack of offer (concerns of shot at next level)?
No clue. He has shot it well in other events but I guess he can be streaky at times. Before the Peach Jam, Tyus Battle's percentage was mostly 40% and under in each session. Seems to me that they won't offer unless they feel Battle is totally out of the equation.

As far as Frank's free throw percentage, was it just a rough stretch and just one of those things or does he consistently struggle? Because you're right, not the position we need a struggling free throw shooter.

I have to say difficulty of shots. He plays the scorer when needed and this seems to be often, watching a bunch of his games. He's also very aggressive getting his shot, not exactly a full on Dion type, but he's certainly not shy. :)

As far as Frank's free throw percentage, was it just a rough stretch and just one of those things or does he consistently struggle? Because you're right, not the position we need a struggling free throw shooter.
If Thomas Bryant is shooting 85% from the line, he might end up being our late game ball handler haha.

Hopefully it's just shaking out the rust. This month has been the first time he's been playing these games at full strength.

Miller could turn into Rick Calhoun if he doesn't make a Final Four in the next couple years. I would compare him to Jamie Dixon for peaking at the Elite Eight, but Dixon doesn't get the recruits that Calhoun and Sean Miller do.