Rio2016 Basketball Thread... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Rio2016 Basketball Thread...

Something tells me there might be an upset brewing in Pool play these guys just aren't that sharp. Good thing Klay Thompson finally got his stroke going today.

Something tells me there might be an upset brewing in Pool play these guys just aren't that sharp. Good thing Klay Thompson finally got his stroke going today.
The offense stalls at times, but when you score 100 in a 40 min game, that isn't the issue.

This team doesn't suffocate the opposing guards like we typically see. Those 120-70 scores occur when the game turns into a layup drill because the opponent can barely get the ball across midcourt before a steal/strip. We have no perimeter D besides Klay.

Kyrie, Lowry are bad defending PGs.

This team needs to play Thompson, George, Butler, Green and Durant/Anthony when they need to play their best D team.

Coach K was interviewed (on espn iirc) regarding the team's "struggles". He made some good points.

1. This team has only played together for a month. Their opponents have played together for several years.

2. The rules are a bit different and allow for more moving screens.
I think this is why we see our defensive weaknessess exposed. It's just harder to defend.

2a. Some of the international teams play great team ball and are in constant motion without the ball. Constant motion. This in contrast to the nba's isolation business. Players like Kyrie, who some call a great 1on1 defender bc he's quick and gets steals, isn't so great defending against superior team basketball.

So there is a serious learning curve for our players after playing one way all year and now with a new group. And yet, they win.

Coach K was interviewed (on espn iirc) regarding the team's "struggles". He made some good points.

1. This team has only played together for a month. Their opponents have played together for several years.

I think this is why we see our defensive weaknessess exposed. It's just harder to defend.

2a. Some of the international teams play great team ball and are in constant motion without the ball. Constant motion. This in contrast to the nba's isolation business. Players like Kyrie, who some call a great 1on1 defender bc he's quick and gets steals, isn't so great defending against superior team basketball.

So there is a serious learning curve for our players after playing one way all year and now with a new group. And yet, they win.
In regards to No. 2 he must not watch the NBA then cause there are plenty of moving screens and you see it in college too.

Thank you JB for telling it like it is about the Round Mound of Foolish Sound.

1458596955-Pittsburgh-North-Carolina-Basketball.jpg

In regards to No. 2 he must not watch the NBA then cause there are plenty of moving screens and you see it in college too.

Our guy Baye Keita used to set some of the worst and moving screens I've ever seen. Not all the Pitt guys.

The difference between Baye and the Pitt moving screens is that the ones Baye perpetrated were actually called.

That may be true but I am just tired of hearing that it is only Pitt who are guilty of these.

Melo is really struggling from the line.

He really is struggling in all facets. Bricking threes which is all he does just camping out there. Doesn't look like he has any lift either. Fortunately Klay has picked it up.

He really is struggling in all facets. Bricking threes which is all he does just camping out there. Doesn't look like he has any lift either. Fortunately Klay has picked it up.

He just hit a 3, hopefully that gets him going.

That may be true but I am just tired of hearing that it is only Pitt who are guilty of these.

SoBe, if that's your takeaway, then I don't think you are "hearing" the complaint properly.

People point to Pitt--justifiably so, IMO--because they get away with blatant moving screens. All. Game. Long.

I don't care whether our guys get called for it when they commit the infraction. But it drives me nuts when teams are allowed to set the screen and then move into the player to deter their movement without it being called, only to have a guy like Baye get called for an illegal screen by a referee halfway across the court, nowhere near the play, from 35 feet away while teams like Pitt do it with impunity all the time. And get away with it all the time.

I've never seen anybody claim that Pitt is the "only" one who is guilty of this, but they are blatant / chronic / flagrant offenders.