Rio2016 Basketball Thread... | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Rio2016 Basketball Thread...

SoBe, if that's your takeaway, then I don't think you are "hearing" the complaint properly.

People point to Pitt--justifiably so, IMO--because they get away with blatant moving screens. All. Game. Long.

I don't care whether our guys get called for it when they commit the infraction. But it drives me nuts when teams are allowed to set the screen and then move into the player to deter them without it being called, only to have a guy like Baye get called for an illegal screen by a referee halfway across the court, nowhere near the play, from 35 feet away while teams like Pitt do it with impunity all the time. And get away with it all the time.

I've never seen anybody claim that Pitt is the "only" one who is guilty of this, but they are blatant / chronic / flagrant offenders.

I heard the complaint fine and thanks for the lecture. It's also the same narrative from those who say Pitt and Louisville hold and grab on every possession and that is why we lose to them. Bunk. You need to have the guards to exploit that pressure instead of backing up and/or moving sideways. Just tired of it.

That may be true but I am just tired of hearing that it is only Pitt who are guilty of these.

Pitt does it a lot, but it goes on all over college bball, you watch a full game and you might see 20 illegal screens at least.

I heard the complaint fine and thanks for the lecture. It's also the same narrative from those who say Pitt and Louisville hold and grab on every possession and that is why we lose to them. Bunk. You need to have the guards to exploit that pressure instead of backing up and/or moving sideways. Just tired of it.

It wasn't a lecture--not sure why you're getting so testy over this subject.

Do you disagree that Pitt sets illegal screens all the time as part of their offensive strategy, and that they get away with it often? If so, I vehemently agree to disagree.

PS--Pitt / Louisville clutching and grabbing isn't "why we lose to them," but a lot of what they do defensively is illegal. Which is why people complain about their tactics going uncalled. These two programs are egregious examples of teams that have turned the college game into scrums, daring refs to call fouls and gaining an undeserved advantage when they don't do so.

Last edited:
It wasn't a lecture--not sure why you're getting so testy over this subject.

Do you disagree that Pitt sets illegal screens all the time as part of their offensive strategy, and that they get away with it often? If so, I vehemently agree to disagree.

PS--Pitt / Louisville clutching and grabbing isn't "why we lose to them," but a lot of what they do defensively is illegal. Which is why people complain about their tactics going uncalled. These two programs are egregious examples of teams that have turned the college game into scrums, daring refs to call fouls and gaining an undeserved advantage when they don't do so.

It was a lecture. We're both not idiots. That's fine.

I do think Pitt gets away with them and sets them often. SU does too. Almost every possession it seems Pitt, SU, or any other team in the country is setting them. I think it is more erosion of fundamentals and the guards not using them properly as well.

I know they bump and hold cutters. Illegal for sure. Our problems with them has had little to do with that, imo. More that our guards the past five years or so cannot even bring the ball up the floor many times and initiate offense and/or get us into any sets. Also, the zone and our tempo is perfect for Pitt who generally have inferior NBA talent but good zone offense and brutes on the boards. Louisville has mostly had more bodies, better players, and another coach who can shred a zone. Times will be changing however as our recruiting has really picked up and we will have a stable of guards sooner or later who won't be bothered by these teams.

Mike Krzyzewski was right Olympic coach at right time for USA Basketball

This guy writes a whole article about how awesome K is for the Hoops team in the Olympics and then mentions all of his assistants over the last 12 years...mentioning everyone but JB.

"Krzyzewski has appreciated this experience because of more than just representing the USA and coaching the best players in the world. His assistants have included Mike D’Antoni, Nate McMillan, Monty Williams, Tom Thibodeau."

Add Zillgitt to Gottlieb list. He's a MSU alum which could explain this huge oversight.

It was a lecture. We're both not idiots. That's fine.

I do think Pitt gets away with them and sets them often. SU does too. Almost every possession it seems Pitt, SU, or any other team in the country is setting them. I think it is more erosion of fundamentals and the guards not using them properly as well.

I know they bump and hold cutters. Illegal for sure. Our problems with them has had little to do with that, imo. More that our guards the past five years or so cannot even bring the ball up the floor many times and initiate offense and/or get us into any sets. Also, the zone and our tempo is perfect for Pitt who generally have inferior NBA talent but good zone offense and brutes on the boards. Louisville has mostly had more bodies, better players, and another coach who can shred a zone. Times will be changing however as our recruiting has really picked up and we will have a stable of guards sooner or later who won't be bothered by these teams.

No, it WASN'T a lecture.

Just like criticizing pitt and officiating appear to be hot button items for you, illegal screening and how inconsistently college basketball is officiated are two of mine.

Nothing drives me more nuts on this board than seeing posts [yours above doesn't fit into this category--just speaking generally] that confuse how complaining that refs cost you the game is different than pointing out that games are officiated poorly. Because there is a major difference.

As a former player, I think that complaining that the refs cost you the game is bush, because even if it were true it is such a rare thing. In recent years, I guess maybe you could levy that complaint about that game @ Duke where they called a charge on CJ, applying the rule wrong. And in a macro sense, that OSU game in 2012 where the refs allowed them to shoot a whopping 45 free throws. But in general, games don't come down to one call.

But the product at the collegiate level has suffered as a function of poor officiating, at is has been getting steadily worse for YEARS. Jay Bilas rails against it, and he is right. When the NBA game was suffering through similar difficulties, they changed the rules and the way the game was officiated, and their product is better off today for it.

Last season, a poster who is a known referee talked bout how refs intentionally / situationally choose what to call, because they don't want to bust the flow of the game. That reveals the level of subjectivity that has really hampered the college game, and let many contests devolve into scrums.

Again, not calling you out specifically, but when I see posts that pretend that these things aren't an issue, it pushes my buttons. Not a lecture, just a response about issues I feel passionately about.

Have a nice weekend.

No, it WASN'T a lecture.

Just like criticizing pitt and officiating appear to be hot button items for you, illegal screening and how inconsistently college basketball is officiated are two of mine.

Nothing drives me more nuts on this board than seeing posts [yours above doesn't fit into this category--just speaking generally] that confuse how complaining that refs cost you the game is different than pointing out that games are officiated poorly. Because there is a major difference.

As a former player, I think that complaining that the refs cost you the game is bush, because even if it were true it is such a rare thing. In recent years, I guess maybe you could levy that complaint about that game @ Duke where they called a charge on CJ, applying the rule wrong. And in a macro sense, that OSU game in 2012 where the refs allowed them to shoot a whopping 45 free throws. But in general, games don't come down to one call.

But the product at the collegiate level has suffered as a function of poor officiating, at is has been getting steadily worse for YEARS. Jay Bilas rails against it, and he is right. When the NBA game was suffering through similar difficulties, they changed the rules and the way the game was officiated, and their product is better off today for it.

Last season, a poster who is a known referee talked bout how refs intentionally / situationally choose what to call, because they don't want to bust the flow of the game. That reveals the level of subjectivity that has really hampered the college game, and let many contests devolve into scrums.

Again, not calling you out specifically, but when I see posts that pretend that these things aren't an issue, it pushes my buttons. Not a lecture, just a response about issues I feel passionately about.

Have a nice weekend.

We have our hot button items for sure. I'm not pretending they aren't issues. Agreed re: Bilas and I agree wholeheartedly how inconsistent officiating has become policing this. It's like the NFL trying to decide what a catch is these days. It's a problem.

My point is and will always be that our matchups with these teams boils down to the personnel (usually guard) and defensive scheme, imo. I'm not really worried about this in the near future however.

Our guy Baye Keita used to set some of the worst and moving screens I've ever seen. Not all the Pitt guys.

I never could figure out why Baye was a screener. He was razor thin , an easy guy to get around who was certainly not a threat rolling to the basket nor stepping back for a shot. Loved him but he just wasn't an effective screener.

Mike Krzyzewski was right Olympic coach at right time for USA Basketball

This guy writes a whole article about how awesome K is for the Hoops team in the Olympics and then mentions all of his assistants over the last 12 years...mentioning everyone but JB.

"Krzyzewski has appreciated this experience because of more than just representing the USA and coaching the best players in the world. His assistants have included Mike D’Antoni, Nate McMillan, Monty Williams, Tom Thibodeau."

Add Zillgitt to Gottlieb list. He's a MSU alum which could explain this huge oversight.

Why would him being an MSU alum automatically make him a JB/Cuse hater? They haven't played Sparty since Dec. 2010.

Why would him being an MSU alum automatically make him a JB/Cuse hater? They haven't played Sparty since Dec. 2010.

There is quite a bit of SU bias I have been exposed to in my time living in Chicago. Lazy college basketball fans and journalists that associate SU as being dirty due to the Fine scandal and the probation. Rather than look into what actually happened it's easier to perpetuate these negative stereotypes. JB himself isn't exactly the easiest coach to like on the surface. Syracuse fans know him for the charities he represents, his love for CNY and his blunt take or leave it opinions. He's not perfect but he's certainly mis-characterized more often than not by media members who have felt his scorn. Maybe I'm reading too much into this article but I've seen and heard too many things out here to think any SU slight is simply an oversight without an agenda.

Durant is playing awesome. Second team unit was great with Cousins, Klay, and George. 52-29 H. First team unit didn't do anything and Melo struggled. Durant with the second team was lights out.

Last edited:
Melo has been quite off lately. I bet he's just tired.

Coaches don't get medals anymore do they? I believe that changed a couple Olympics back right?

96-66

Our work is done here.

CqaPFcBWIAAx51_.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors