Roberson... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Roberson...

Rak will be a first rounder. He has perfect PF size and athleticism and the most polished low post game since Otis. He will be the perfect role playing PF for some lucky team. I can absolutely see him as a 12/9/1 guy.

The first round part is the easy part as SU fans well know. The 12/9 is the harder part. I don't see it. I think he lacks the motor and bball iq required to get it done. That prolly sounds more harsh than I intend but making it in the NBA is extremely hard- the competition is fierce particularly with all of the foreign players coming over here.

Well, not as a rookie...Seriously, I am bullish on Rak. If you are looking for a PF to be a role player with an all around game, and a smart guy with a great character, who do you think would be better? I see him filling a Dale Davis type role or as a guy to compliment a center who is better on the perimeter on offense. If I'm the Knicks and I end up with Okafor or Towns, I try to pick up a 20-30 pick and nab him. I could ride with Melo, Okafor, Rak up front. Use the FA money on experienced guards...

Most power forwards in the NBA are far more versatile than RC at this stage. They can face the basket better, rebound better and defend better. I think people have to keep in mind that the level of competition is light years beyond what the Clemsons, Wake Forest etc have to offer.

in regards to Roberson, he definitely has a knack for pulling down boards... but in all fairness to others, Tyler plays 40 minutes a game. Thats unheard of. His rebounds per minute played are probably on par with guys like Paul Harris, Rick Jackson, etc...

i could be way wrong, didnt look it up... but playing a full game vs teams that shoot lots of 3s due to the zone means lots of rebounding chances. Hell, even Mike G gets 6 a game and he is undersized.

Only after the McCullough injury did Roberson start playing big minutes. And the results are starting to show. Btw playing forty minutes for a Jim Boeheim team is not that unusual.

This kid is going to be a monster before too long. They quoted JB as saying Christmas is going to have a ten year NBA career. JB is a HOFer and an astute judge of talent but I just don't see that happening. Love to be wrong though. But I could sure as hell see Roberson having a ten year NBA run.
Rak ks going to make a very, very good living in the NBA for a long time, as a back up 4/5 man. 5 years in, he will have a very reliable baseline and FT are jumper. Good rebounder, smart, and no headaches. He will be a professional's professional.
He will be a late 1st round pick, which generally means he will go to a good team, with good management and coaching.
Best NBA career since Melo (jury out on MCW and Jeremi).

I wish someone would tell him that he HAS to take those open shots - he's afraid of the hook/too tentative/over thinks it/aims it/whatever you want to say. Just shoot it - heck he'd probably chase down his own miss anyway. You're right that confidence is the key - he CAN hit that shot - he just knows/thinks that's not his job. Give him the confidence of Bus w/his ability and he'd be tremendous.

just not sure why he'd be so tentative at this point given the glowing praise heaped upon him by JB to date.

I wish someone would tell him that he HAS to take those open shots - he's afraid of the hook/too tentative/over thinks it/aims it/whatever you want to say. Just shoot it - heck he'd probably chase down his own miss anyway. You're right that confidence is the key - he CAN hit that shot - he just knows/thinks that's not his job. Give him the confidence of Bus w/his ability and he'd be tremendous.

True and at this stage he shouldn't be worried about the hook. At this stage who is going to replace him?

Rak ks going to make a very, very good living in the NBA for a long time, as a back up 4/5 man. 5 years in, he will have a very reliable baseline and FT are jumper. Good rebounder, smart, and no headaches. He will be a professional's professional.
He will be a late 1st round pick, which generally means he will go to a good team, with good management and coaching.
Best NBA career since Melo (jury out on MCW and Jeremi).

RC is a great credit to the program and maybe if he continues to make major progress your forecast will come true. I can see the first round part but not the long NBA career.

I was told that the NBA was all about potential. How can a guy that has reached his potential be drafted?

This kid is going to be a monster before too long. They quoted JB as saying Christmas is going to have a ten year NBA career. JB is a HOFer and an astute judge of talent but I just don't see that happening. Love to be wrong though. But I could sure as hell see Roberson having a ten year NBA run.

There is a reason Rak is averaging almost 19 ppg. Because he is unstoppable even agianst doubles. On top of that hes our best defender on the team, most physical player. and our best shot blocker as well. Hes also decent defensively as a four in our zone as he closes out pretty well.

Compare that to dnic, gerry, Paul Harris, Rick Jackson, Andy Rautins, or Wes Johnson.
He just needs to fit into a true pf or true center position thats the only question with him.
Probably the least respected star in college right now, he should be getting alot more press.

Honestly Rak could have a Dickie Simpkins like NBA career (9 years as a back up big, some on really good teams), and that would be a nice achievement.

Rak just made a huge jump. Why would anyone think he has hit his ceiling? Is it not possible he makes another jump? What I see is a guy that is improving every game with no end in sight. He is going to be a good pro.

Could you have thought that about Christmas during his sophomore year? Name me three better rebounders that have played on the Hill since DC left in 1990? The kid is just scratching the surface. Rebounds like a grown man. the rest of the game will follow.

He is smart and fundamentally sound too. He just needs to gain confidence right now, continue to develop his Jumper(I have a feeling he's a better shooter than he's shown so far), and improve his handle.

Elite athleticism with some solid fundamentals and a brain is a good combination. I think he'll be a great player here before he's done.

i think Rak is a lock to play many years in the NBA. He is very skilled with both hands. He is a career backup, which is not bad at all.

ex: Maurice Speights, Joe Smith

I'd say Joe Smith was much better and more skilled than Christmas. He was the #1 pick! He was better as a freshman than Christmas is now. He never gained much strength though, which limited him in the pros, but he still had some good years averaging 15-18 ppg and 7-8 rpg a few times. I don't see Christmas doing that.

The first round part is the easy part as SU fans well know. The 12/9 is the harder part. I don't see it. I think he lacks the motor and bball iq required to get it done. That prolly sounds more harsh than I intend but making it in the NBA is extremely hard- the competition is fierce particularly with all of the foreign players coming over here.
JB doesn't agree with you. He said one of the reasons Roc will make it in the NBA is because he can get down the court fast. BB IQ? He is still learning but hasn't done too much out of line this year.

He's averaging 10.5 rebs a game so far in ACC play. Not shabby. Your remembrance of three of those guys was at their peak as upperclassmen. Roberson will be a far better rebounder than any of those three by the time he is a senior if not sooner. The only question is whether the rest of his game can progress at a high level.
Every once in a while I see Louis Orr in this kid...

JB doesn't agree with you. He said one of the reasons Roc will make it in the NBA is because he can get down the court fast. BB IQ? He is still learning but hasn't done too much out of line this year.

Funny though yesterday Sean McDonough said that Hopkins told him that they have to encourage RC to hustle to beat the opposing big man down the floor. That's what I mean by not having the motor. Yes he can run the floor but ya know what? So can just about everybody he will run up against in the NBA. Basketball IQ is instinctual and not really something that's learned very easily.

Funny though yesterday Sean McDonough said that Hopkins told him that they have to encourage RC to hustle to beat the opposing big man down the floor. That's what I mean by not having the motor. Yes he can run the floor but ya know what? So can just about everybody he will run up against in the NBA. Basketball IQ is instinctual and not really something that's learned very easily.

It was said they emphasize that as part of the team's strategy because it helps us get some fastbreak or secondary break looks. It wasn't said that Rak is not willing to run down the court. Don't twist words to fit your argument.

Rak right now, this very moment, has the size and athleticism to match up well with NBA 4's and 5's. Add the fact that he has a low post game more polished than a lot of backup 4/5's in the NBA, an improving jumper that will have to be respected, shot blocking ability, and the quickness to chase around some forwards, and you have a journeyman NBA player on your hands. JB is not saying Rak is going to be a big time NBA player, or even a starter, but you don't need to be either to spend a decade in the League.

I like Roberson, and you could very well be right that he'll be a good NBA player, but I don't see any point in putting down Rak just to prop up Tyler. Right now, Rak is the better NBA prospect. Does Roberson have the potential to be better? Sure. But he has a lot to work on. Rebounding alone does not get you NBA checks.

It was said they emphasize that as part of the team's strategy because it helps us get some fastbreak or secondary break looks. It wasn't said that Rak is not willing to run down the court. Don't twist words to fit your argument.

Rak right now, this very moment, has the size and athleticism to match up well with NBA 4's and 5's. Add the fact that he has a low post game more polished than a lot of backup 4/5's in the NBA, an improving jumper that will have to be respected, shot blocking ability, and the quickness to chase around some forwards, and you have a journeyman NBA player on your hands. JB is not saying Rak is going to be a big time NBA player, or even a starter, but you don't need to be either to spend a decade in the League.

I like Roberson, and you could very well be right that he'll be a good NBA player, but I don't see any point in putting down Rak just to prop up Tyler. Right now, Rak is the better NBA prospect. Does Roberson have the potential to be better? Sure. But he has a lot to work on. Rebounding alone does not get you NBA checks.

You chastise me for putting RC down then you do the same with Roberson. It's not very easy to be a journeyman in the NBA and have a 10 year career. I think some of you guys wildly underestimate the severity of competition in the NBA. You are constantly fighting for a job every year. Several SU guys more highly touted than RC and probably drafted higher than he will be drafted were never able to stick ten years. As McDonough relayed the quote from Hopkins it was clear to me that they were encouraging RC to hustle down the court- there was no other way to take that point. But whatever, just watch Roberson and RC move from the defensive side to the offensive side of the floor. Roberson beats him down the floor every single time and often you can see RC jogging down the floor well behind the pack. I understand he's playing close to or 40 minutes a night but he did that when he was playing half the game.

In a way he sort of reminds me of underclassman CJ, he just needs to gain confidence and a little attitude

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom