Roberson | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Roberson

four guys stronger in the frontcourt, "physical strength wise" :)

Gbinije is no slouch as a senior I expect him to body up more in the lane off the dribble alittle more this year.
Roberson has put alot of strength on from the pictures I have seen.

four guys stronger in the frontcourt, "physical strength wise" :)

Gbinije is no slouch as a senior I expect him to body up more in the lane off the dribble alittle more this year.
Roberson has put alot of strength on from the pictures I have seen.

There are about 100 other words to describe G as before I'd use the word strong, but that's not the point. Again, now that I know what you mean by the word strength, how is this front court "stronger" than last years? Or the year before, or the year before that. Again, I refer to my original question of do you actually follow Syracuse basketball.

I really didn't feel like doing the math, but I am not doing anything so why not. I might be off one or two players.

just look in terms of physical strength-muscle physical power. (of players actually doing something in the rotation for 10 minutes or more)

06-07- Watkins, Roberts,Nichols,Harris ------ (not to bad)
07-08 donte kristoff jackson, onuaku. -----not to bad but all fresh.
08-09 Harris, AO, Jackson, Kristoff, Rautins. ----not bad. but kristoff didn't come on strong to the end.
09-10 Wes joseph Onuaku Jackson. --- Amazing team, but soph Joseph and Wes are not stronger then Roberson or Gbinije(I think).
10-11- Rick, Kjo Fair Keita. --------Not even close.
11-12. Fab, Fair, Keita, Kjo, Southerland. ----not as strong as this year.
12-13-Southerland, grant,Keita, Fair Rak, --- Nope.
13-14- Grant, Keita Rak, Fair,. Roberson. ---nope.
14-15 -Roberson, Rak, Gbinije,. ---not even going to add bj and chinos they barely played.

15-16 Dajuan, Obokoh, Roberson(strong) Senior Gbinije, Lydon.

First off Roberson has put ALOT of strength on. I think he will look like a brick house this year. Second off Gbinije is a 5th year senior. And when a 5th year senior at sf is the fourth strongest in your frontcourt and comes in as a chiseled upperclassmen who knows how to use his weight some as a 5th year leader, that says your team has some muscle. Opponents will have to choose whether to put the physical defender on him or Roberson.
Furthermore our 5th guy Lydon will be a ok rebounder as a freshmen at worst and is a tall Jerami Grant type.

Strongest in the last 8 years Period. I rest my case.
Not saying that will equate to better rebounds or wins, but still.

Last edited:
I really didn't feel like doing the math, but I am not doing anything so why not. I might be off one or two players.

just look in terms of physical strength-muscle physical power. (of players actually doing something in the rotation for 10 minutes or more)

08-09 Harris, AO, Jackson, Kristoff, Rautins. ----not bad. but kristoff didn't come on strong to the end.
09-10 Wes joseph Onuaku Jackson. --- Amazing team, but soph Joseph and Wes are not stronger then Roberson or Gbinije(I think).
14-15 -Roberson, Rak, Gbinije,. ---not even going to add bj and chinos they barely played.

First off Roberson has put ALOT of strength on. I think he will look like a brick house this year. Second off Gbinije is a 5th year senior. And when a 5th year senior at sf is the fourth strongest in your frontcourt and comes in as a chiseled upperclassmen who knows how to use his weight some as a 5th year leader, that says your team has some muscle. Opponents will have to choose whether to put the physical defender on him or Roberson.
Furthermore our 5th guy Lydon will be a ok rebounder as a freshmen at worst and is a tall Jerami Grant type.

So because you say period and you rest your case it equals fact? I read your post twice and I still don't understand what you're trying to say, prove, or anything. But even with the premise of it being the strongest physically you still haven't proven anything and it's extremely debatable.

cYk13uJ.jpg

One thing I have learned from watching Basketball the last decade and a half, is all the little things matter.
I see where you are coming from how does that help the bigger picture.

In a game that often ends with a 1-6 basket differential, the little advantages matter.
I remember watching the national championship game back in 03 and thinking why is Josh Pace in the game because he had the dribble, size, floater, and was able to finish against Kansas physical press and make the shot.

The same physical nature appies to guards Like Kaleb welcoming the contact in the paint as they finish their shot. MCW and Johnny Flynn for example had the same struggle from midrange MCW found his the last quarter of his sophmore year, not sure Flynn ever really found his. Neither of them really invited the contact well I think Howard could from day one even. Fair at 6'8 used a floater in the lane, Gbinije hasn't yet but has a confident midrange pullup that he took 1.5 times a game last year (maybe 3-4 on average this year.)

Want another crazy thought of mine, I think Howard could really step up and suprise people this year
He finishes in the lane with a floater in highschool like a Forward not just a pg, he welcomes the contact. He shoots alot of his jumpers from shoulder level like a forward so he is the kind of guy you can pass the ball shoulder level to instead of waist level. He has shown glimpses of a left hand finish.And he played against the Oak Hills at the highest level of high school ball for a couple of years.

Had Obokoh got back on defense more solidly last year when the ball found its way behind him to the baseline we would all be much more confident in him. But he needed another year hopefully he finds it this year.

Coleman and Obokoh may be our most unproved Center spot in years, but they are arguably also our best box out to rebound center tandem in years. We don't know if that will help but it could, espeically keep opponents off the offensive boards. Roberson and Dajuan like hitting the offensive boards I think Obokoh will be push harder to by the coaches as well with his physical mentality.

The point is all the little things matter as much as the big. When a guy like Eric Devendorf gets his 3rd rebound because the coaches pushed them to, they get a pat on the back from coach.

So your right, I agree with you. No we don't have a Rak or AO to back people down and have his way in the paint,
but Roberson Dajuan and Obokoh are all upperclassmen they aren't freshmen and that iq and strength could be enough to make a couple more plays to win games.

I love this time of year because its so easy to overate everyone you don't know who will devlop what year by year. Rakeem Christmas averaged 17 the most points of any center for us since what Rony Seikly maybe, he averaged I think under 12 as a high school senior. That is something nobody would have logically guessed. :)

Last edited:

Any team with AO and Rick Jackson is the strongest. No offense to DCII, but AO is the strongest frontcourt player we've had in this millennium.

Any team with AO and Rick Jackson is the strongest. No offense to DCII, but AO is the strongest frontcourt player we've had in this millennium.

Great point And agree. I remember that last home game against St Johns they were the story.
But just to rebuttal.
KJO played 29 minutes per game at forward the last 14 games of the season before AO went down, and 27 going back to the beginning of Big East Play.
and Wes averaged 37 mpg for BE play.

Just to compare.
That means Rick and AO on the floor together for 14-17 mpg only 7-8 minutes per half.
I would expect preseason one of our Bigs, Roberson and Gbinije to be on the floor together for atleast 25 mpg Probably closer to 33mpg twice as long.
Although Gbinije could also play some guard.

Last edited:
Great point And agree. I remember that last home game against St Johns they were the story.
But just to rebuttal.
KJO played 29 minutes per game at forward the last 14 games of the season before AO went down, and 27 going back to the beginning of Big East Play.
and Wes averaged 37 mpg for BE play.

Just to compare.
That means Rick and AO on the floor together for 14-17 mpg only 7-8 minutes per half.
I would expect preseason one of our Bigs, Roberson and Gbinije to be on the floor together for atleast 25 mpg Probably closer to 33mpg twice as long.
Although Gbinije could also play some guard.

I'm just really not understanding your point or reasoning for anything you've said in this thread. If you're going to say that AO and RJ don't count because they "only" averaged 20+ minutes a game each that season then what the hell are you expecting from Chino and DC2?

I'm willing to bet you a thousand bucks that at the end of this year that between DC2 and Chino they will play less minute than AO and RJ played in AO's senior season. I'll even give you a 150 minute buffer for Chin and DC.

Dajuan and Obokoh are physical rebounders, and teams know Gbinije is the better ball handler and will try to keep him out of transition by forcing him to rebound more then Roberson. Roberson should be a hustler down the court in transition without the ball though, if we can keep him down to around 28-33 mpg instead of 35-40.

I think Roberson will be around the 7.3 rpg mark I give him a extra board for offense. Him and Coleman enjoy going after the offensive boards.

You would have to go back a long ways to find four guys stronger in the frontcourt then Coleman, Obokoh, Roberson and Gbinije though. Or stronger then Gbinije Coleman and Roberson for that matter.

I can't agree with this. Arinze was a beast! And RJ was averaging 13 RPG his senior year when he become BE defensive POY:

http://www.orangehoops.org/RJackson.htm

2009-10 with both Arinze and Rick was probably our best front court in the last decade. TR has a way to go but I am hopeful!

Last edited:
Good article. I am sure someone from the NCAA is already trying to find a way for the Nike Pro City League to be illegal competition. Pick up games and NPCL.. lets just see how petty we can get putting the screws to SU...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom