Class of 2016 - SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska) | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots off good convo on the lineups and PT with the addition of White. To me it indicates how great a get White would be since we are discussing which obviously talent player plays less. Lets hope we land White and get him on campus soon.
Absolutely, White seems to fill in any gaps we might have had. Another shooter and backcourt depth. We have 7 potential starters and then 3 other guys that could fight for minutes. What a great problem to have.

Yes, clear enough. I would imagine at some point someone will be indicted by the real police or FBI with the Louisville scandal. Probably the FBI since recruits are crossing state boundaries. We shall see.
Doubt it. This kind of thing gets buried in a hurry in Ky (see Fla. State "investigation" of various criminals .. slow-peddling, witnesses not contacted, evidence mysteriously evaporates, etc..).

Yeah, I buy that. If he can manage 25 minutes per game, every game, in beastmode, then that would be great. If he can do more than that, then we are talking a Rodmanesque type player. I know you know, and quite a few others also know, Roberson can be an excellent offensive player with a great midrange game. If he puts it all together this year, look out.

I hear you but I have given up on is midrange jumper. I've just seen no evidence that he will pull the trigger smoothly without hesitation in games. It may happen but I'm not counting on it. Still its invaluable to have a guy who gets you offensive rebounds and put backs. They are like free points and put a tremendous amount of pressure on the defense to keep track of the paint which helps open things up for your play makers. How many times in the tourney to you think opposing coaches were saying, "You cannot help off of Roberson he's killing us on the glass!"

Absolutely, White seems to fill in any gaps we might have had. Another shooter and backcourt depth. We have 7 potential starters and then 3 other guys that could fight for minutes. What a great problem to have.
White could play the 2 in a pinch, but I see him as more of a 3 (6'7" and beefy). Either way, he's the wing shooter we need to complete the puzzle.

I hear you but I have given up on is midrange jumper. I've just seen no evidence that he will pull the trigger smoothly without hesitation in games. It may happen but I'm not counting on it. Still its invaluable to have a guy who gets you offensive rebounds and put backs. They are like free points and put a tremendous amount of pressure on the defense to keep track of the paint which helps open things up for your play makers. how many times in the tourney to you think opposing coaches were saying, "You cannot help off of Roberson he's killing us on the glass!"
Yeah, he thinks too much when he gets the ball in the flow of the offense. When he didn't, the jumper is smooth. But, he sure hasn't shown that he can get out of his own head. I think Roberson on the floor, is very important for Lydon. Like you said, Roberson needs to be accounted for, in a far different way than another shooter. He would open up space for Lydon on the outside.

Agree 100%.

And also, it could be a game-to-game situational thing in terms of minutes in terms of how PT gets distributed any given night. Some games, maybe Roberson is playing better--so he plays 35+. Maybe Coleman is having a good game, so he plays more. Or there's a matchup we can exploit. Or we want to play Chukwu more for defensive purposes. Maybe Howard is dialed in one game and playing better than Battle that night. Etc. Etc. Etc.

The key is having OPTIONS and not being locked into one player having an up or down night. Just like 2012, IMO. Of course, all predicated upon landing White.

Think the key in determining minutes played will be the newbies ability to pick up the nuances of Boeheim's zone. Nothing gets a quick hook as surely as not getting out on a shooter on the perimeter. And the responsibilities of the guard and forward positions are so different that it makes it difficult to think any first year player could master both. The forward position is especially challenging with the increased preponderance of three pointers. While the guards have to pinch the middle at the top to cut off penetration, forwards have to protect the baseline and corners and range all the way out to the three point line past the elbows. With White I agree completely that this might be one of the most talented offensive teams in years. But with half the roster in their first year playing our defensive schemes I think there may be some growing pains.

Andrew White makes us a preseason top 10 team. The ACC would have 4 top 10 teams. Duke, Virginia, North Carolina, Syracuse.

This get would make a legit NC contender. He would provide the Malachi/Wes Johnson offense.

Battle gets the PG. Howard backup PG minutes.
Gillon/White get the SG minutes.
White/Lydon split the SF minutes.
Lydon/Roberson get the PF minutes.
Coleman/Chuwku get the C minutes.
Thompson/Moyer get an education in Boeheim U and start in 2017.
I think we missed that boat which isn't the same as missing the big voyage of the Titanic.Unless there is a solid reason he hasn't committed to us like parents or his graduate instructors with his PHD goals if he has them.

Think the key in determining minutes played will be the newbies ability to pick up the nuances of Boeheim's zone. Nothing gets a quick hook as surely as not getting out on a shooter on the perimeter.

So true and I expect we will see a lot of that during the OOC portion of the schedule. I don't think JB will keep guys like Battle, White, Gillon on the bench for more than a few minutes when that happens but he will use it to teach them the slides and covers. Hey why not when you can come in with guys like Howard, Moyer, Thompson, Chukwu or who ever is not a starter.

I hope Howard doesn't end up being recruited over/ transferred over. I could see him going if we get the class we all want next year, even with all the departures. I think the addition if White would increase the chances of Battle staying a second year. If we got two 5 star guards, Howard could end up the fourth guard in his junior year.

I hope Howard doesn't end up being recruited over/ transferred over. I could see him going if we get the class we all want next year, even with all the departures. I think the addition if White would increase the chances of Battle staying a second year. If we got two 5 star guards, Howard could end up the fourth guard in his junior year.
I'm not going to tell you what you should think, but I ALWAYS hope our guys are getting recruited over. Either they can accept the challenge and work to get on the floor, or not. But better talent is how a program becomes elite.

I'm not going to tell you what you should think, but I ALWAYS hope our guys are getting recruited over. Either they can accept the challenge and work to get on the floor, or not. But better talent is how a program becomes elite.
Understand, and I hope the progression takes place. But am worried as a fan of his after literally not being allowed to shoot last year and more talent coming in this year. He has great potential but may be on a short leash his entire tour.

Understand, and I hope the progression takes place. But am worried as a fan of his after literally not being allowed to shoot last year and more talent coming in this year. He has great potential but may be on a short leash his entire tour.
If I were the coaches, I would love this kid, and I am sure they do. He showed a lot last year, and he is tough. He will be ok, and he will find his role on this years team, and the teams for the next couple of years. He will be a valuable piece to some great teams.

Howard will have to win his minutes by playing well just like everyone else.

Great talent AND great work ethic. this is the winning combo.

So there are a couple of people on KUs message board saying AW has committed to Cuse.

Not the most solid source, and don't want to incite Photobucket burning couchPhotobucket burning couch but I thought it was worth posting.

So there are a couple of people on KUs message board saying AW has committed to Cuse.

Not the most solid source, and don't want to incite Photobucket burning couchPhotobucket burning couch but I thought it was worth posting.

I wonder if they saw those bizarre headlines that are searchable on google from MSN and skowt. Both say he committed here but are blank placeholders. I swear, we have had some of the strangest recruiting goings-on over the past year.

I wonder if they saw those bizarre headlines that are searchable on google from MSN and skowt. Both say he committed here but are blank placeholders. I swear, we have had some of the strangest recruiting goings-on over the past year.

Could be... Boy was that a tease.

I assume the money lineup (final 2 mins) is Gillon, Battle, White, Lydon, PC

There are a lot of potential money lineups with the group we would potentially have if White commits.

Quality depth at every position, and one could argue that any one of three or four players could play at any of the five positions at any moment during a game.

PG - Battle, Gillon, Howard
SG - White, Battle, Gillon, Howard
SF - Lydon, White, Moyer, Battle
PF - Roberson, Lydon, Thompson, Moyer
C - Coleman, Chukwu, Lydon, Thompson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick