SU Offensive Coordinators | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

SU Offensive Coordinators

Agree with a lot of what you say, but can we agree to hold off complete judgement on Lester until we see what he's able to do with an offseason and camp? And at least give me some hope we might be better this year?

Our offense may still stink because of the talent we have but I think we'll know a lot more in October about Lester as an OC than we do based on some numbers from the D3 ranks.
i haven't made a complete judgment. i'm unimpressed with bill cubit, i'm unimpressed with the offense last year, i'm unimpressed by elmhurst. i think the offense will be lousy.

The annual syracusefan.com football board preseason theme song...

You've gotta have heart
All you really need is heart
When the odds are sayin' you'll never win
That's when the grin should start
You've gotta have hope
Mustn't sit around and mope
Nothin's half as bad as it may appear
Wait'll next year and hope

I'll have you know that I played Rocky in the Talent Company's production of Damn Yankees out at the Fairgrounds in '93 ( I think). I am quite the Renaissance man!

no one needed to talk about the size of the denominator trying to justify chip kelly back then because they were at the very top in offense

Yeah - first bunch of years they didn't even finish .500. Best finish was in year 5, where they finished #2. You can't act like Oregon didn't take a giant leap of faith with the guy. There were plenty of questions (that are similar to the ones you ask about Lester) at every promotion - including his current job in the NFL.

I'm not saying Lester is Kelly. But you can't poop on him before he gets his shot.

Your words: "i want SU to keep rolling the dice on young up and coming guys (check) with the right offense (open to interpretation of what exaclty constitutes "right"). preferably one that isn't a moron (Lester doesn't appear to be a moron) and one that can call plays (tons of experience calling his offense). swing for the fences and move on when it doesn't work.(we'll see)"

i haven't made a complete judgment. i'm unimpressed with bill cubit (not relevant), i'm unimpressed with the offense last year (not relevant), i'm unimpressed by elmhurst (not sure why). i think the offense will be lousy. (not enough info to make that determination. you're proving your bias - but that's about it)

mcdonald might've been the best hire of all those guys at the time he was hired even though he's a total fool and i was glad he was fired quick. i want SU to keep rolling the dice on young up and coming guys with the right offense. preferably one that isn't a moron and one that can call plays. swing for the fences and move on when it doesn't work. next time, do a better job interviewing and find out if the guy actually knows the offense

i want to see more variations of bubble screens that take 5 seconds to develop /sarcasm off.

Yeah - first bunch of years they didn't even finish .500. Best finish was in year 5, where they finished #2. You can't act like Oregon didn't take a giant leap of faith with the guy. There were plenty of questions (that are similar to the ones you ask about Lester) at every promotion - including his current job in the NFL.

I'm not saying Lester is Kelly. But you can't poop on him before he gets his shot.

Your words: "i want SU to keep rolling the dice on young up and coming guys (check) with the right offense (open to interpretation of what exaclty constitutes "right"). preferably one that isn't a moron (Lester doesn't appear to be a moron) and one that can call plays (tons of experience calling his offense). swing for the fences and move on when it doesn't work.(we'll see)"
triumph_insult_comic_dog-geeksandcleats.jpg

i haven't made a complete judgment. i'm unimpressed with bill cubit, i'm unimpressed with the offense last year, i'm unimpressed by elmhurst. i think the offense will be lousy.
When the offense is average or better, be sure to come back and apologize.

Until Syracuse brings in an OC from anywhere other than Indiana/Illinois, it's going to be grim. Ever heard of the "Midwest Offense"? I haven't either.

I'm bitter.

I'm a die hard though. Hope springs eternal.

i hereby promise. the sincerity of this unlikely apology will make you weep and reevaluate your life

Don't eat the humble pie, Millhouse. I don't think it will agree with you.

Until Syracuse brings in an OC from anywhere other than Indiana/Illinois, it's going to be grim. Ever heard of the "Midwest Offense"? I haven't either.

I'm bitter.

I'm a die hard though. Hope springs eternal.
No I haven't. I also haven't heard of the North East offense, the South East offense, The plains offense, rocky mountain offense, pacific island offense, tobacco road offense, or anything else other than a West Coast offense. I think you're reaching here.

No I haven't. I also haven't heard of the North East offense, the South East offense, The plains offense, rocky mountain offense, pacific island offense, tobacco road offense, or anything else other than a West Coast offense. I think you're reaching here.
The Ohio St offense worked fairly well, they beat Alabama.

When the offense is average or better, be sure to come back and apologize.

What is this "better than average" offense you speak of?

Isn't that some relic of the 20th century, like Atari or the Spice Girls?

For what?

They both sucked.

You blame Browning for what he had to work with in 2008?

Bet he wished he had Paulus and Mike Williams.

Seemed like the guy following GRob got a pass.

I was thinking about our under-performing offense since the Pasqualoni era, and took a look back at OC's during this period. Please feel free to offer any corrections as this information comes from disparate sources, none of which (including http://www.cuse.com/sports/2008/2/4/020408All-TimeFootballCoachesAlphabetical.aspx) are totally accurate.

Of the eight previous OC's, half came to the job without any previous OC experience. Three of them served under GROB. None of them are currently OC's and only one is a HC and that one is in HS.

I am starting to think that Lester has a better chance of producing an effective offense because of his previous 8 years experience as HC or OC at DIII Elmhurst and St Joseph's. He has also had 2 years of D1 experience. I keep thinking that if we can field just an average offense we can have a winning season. More importantly, continuity under an experienced OC would be a big advantage going forward.

I like the fact that Lester is keeping a low profile and has resisted any temptation to jabber to the press. I have high hopes he will use his available talent wisely and get off to a good start.

View attachment 42859
Excellent analysis - thank you for sharing. Strikes me how many people bang the drum about how SU never hires the hi-profile coaches...as if that was the norm before HCSS. Could you imagine an OC leaving Clemson to take same job at SU now? I think Lester is a smart guy, threw many a completed pass in college and has a been there done that kind of background, cannnot wait to see his offense this fall.

Gooorge!

You blame Browning for what he had to work with in 2008?

Bet he wished he had Paulus and Mike Williams.

Seemed like the guy following GRob got a pass.

Spence was horrible to.

Oh, you mean Marrone. He inherited an offense that went for 270 yds in total offense and 18 pts a game under Browning, which sucks under any criteria. And that was what it was consistently for those four years under Robinson.

Marrone's first year was 330 and 21. Four years later it was 476 and 30.

Why does he need a pass, I'd say a thank you would be in order.

All Browning did was go 180 from White. White was all min protect pass every down 5 guys in the pattern get Arob killed. Puffed up the pass numbers artificially , couldn't run, couldn't score, total offense numbers horrible. Browning was two tight with a full back run, run, run, couldn't throw at all. Same over all level of disaster just artificially puffed up run numbers.

As we've discussed prior - Lester was not just "ok" at Elmhurst. His offenses were in the top percentile with 300+ schools. Rated out that's a top 2o offense. W

Lester was the HC at Elmhurst from 2008 - 2012 which makes up most of the years he coached at the school.
As the HC:
Overall Conf
2008 Elmhurst 7–3 4–3 4th
2009 Elmhurst 4–6 1–6 7th
2010 Elmhurst 6–4 3–4 T–5th
2011 Elmhurst 6–4 4–3 4th
2012 Elmhurst 10–2 6–1 T–1st L NCAA Division III Quarterfinal
Elmhurst: 33–19[9] 18–17

The guy might end up being a great OC, I'm going to take a wait and see. I'm not willing to throw him under the bus nor am I willing to give him a "you're special" sticker either.

Spence was horrible to.

Oh, you mean Marrone. He inherited an offense that went for 270 yds in total offense and 18 pts a game under Browning, which sucks under any criteria. And that was what it was consistently for those four years under Robinson.

Marrone's first year was 330 and 21. Four years later it was 476 and 30.

Why does he need a pass, I'd say a thank you would be in order.

All Browning did was go 180 from White. White was all min protect pass every down 5 guys in the pattern get Arob killed. Puffed up the pass numbers artificially , couldn't run, couldn't score, total offense numbers horrible. Browning was two tight with a full back run, run, run, couldn't throw at all. Same over all level of disaster just artificially puffed up run numbers.

You don't think Paulus and Mike Williams are worth an extra 60 and 3 per game?

Guy was here one year, was handed a walk on QB and a set of WRs who would have struggled to make a Rutgers team in the 1990s. But whatever helps tell the story of what happened in 2012.

qdawgg said:
Lester was the HC at Elmhurst from 2008 - 2012 which makes up most of the years he coached at the school. As the HC: Overall Conf 2008 Elmhurst 7–3 4–3 4th 2009 Elmhurst 4–6 1–6 7th 2010 Elmhurst 6–4 3–4 T–5th 2011 Elmhurst 6–4 4–3 4th 2012 Elmhurst 10–2 6–1 T–1st L NCAA Division III Quarterfinal Elmhurst: 33–19[9] 18–17 The guy might end up being a great OC, I'm going to take a wait and see. I'm not willing to throw him under the bus nor am I willing to give him a "you're special" sticker either.

Agreed. I'm in wait and see mode too. I just hate (too strong a word? No - hate) how people write him off because of coaching trees or being a d3 HC - having not installed or called a game in his system (5 years of exp.).

Lester was the HC at Elmhurst from 2008 - 2012 which makes up most of the years he coached at the school.
As the HC:
Overall Conf
2008 Elmhurst 7–3 4–3 4th
2009 Elmhurst 4–6 1–6 7th
2010 Elmhurst 6–4 3–4 T–5th
2011 Elmhurst 6–4 4–3 4th
2012 Elmhurst 10–2 6–1 T–1st L NCAA Division III Quarterfinal
Elmhurst: 33–19[9] 18–17

The guy might end up being a great OC, I'm going to take a wait and see. I'm not willing to throw him under the bus nor am I willing to give him a "you're special" sticker either.

Yes, I have no quarrel with that. However, my point remains that he has many years of experience and at the very least we should not have confusion getting plays in, game planning and play calls. By now, Lester probably knows what he wants and doesn't want and understands that he has to work with the players on the roster. Let's hope this is correct.
Go Cuse (whatever color we are this year)!

Crusty said:
Yes, I have no quarrel with that. However, my point remains that he has many years of experience and at the very least we should not have confusion getting plays in, game planning and play calls. By now, Lester probably knows what he wants and doesn't want and understands that he has to work with the players on the roster. Let's hope this is correct. Go Cuse (whatever color we are this year)!

I agree with this x1000. Our deficiencies will be more about talent and execution. Rather than talent, execution, system, play calling, playbook, etc.

Guy was here one year, was handed a walk on QB and a set of WRs who would have struggled to make a Rutgers team in the 1990s. But whatever helps tell the story of what happened in 2012.
Handed a walk-on my butt. I looked at the 2008 roster, we had Nassib, Arob, Legree, and Dantley. 3 scholarship QBs, one who ended up in the NFL. Browning and Grob put Dantley under center, whatever happens at that point is on them.

i feel the same way about browning as I do lester. the results have to matter somewhat. SU's offense was 115th in 2008. SU's offense was 116th in 2014. how bad would the offense have to be for browning or lester to take some of the blame?

i keep referring to dave chappelle testifying for r kelly. but that's what this makes me think of. how many good offensive coordinators have ever had years that bad?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom