Sunderland working out now on ESPNU | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Sunderland working out now on ESPNU

I'm going to guess 5 reps. His arms are noticably bigger since his freshman year. If he works out I bet he can do 185lbs a few times. I'm 6'4", skinny and wasn't strong at all freshman year of college. After working out for 2 years I could put up 185lbs a few times and I didn't even work out a lot on a regular basis. I think he will suprise people

bench press has to be the dumbest testing event ever. typical people who can bench a lot are short and stumpy w little flexibility aka not basketball players.

Not necessarily. It helps, yes, but the overall generalization isn't completely true.

I think he'll get it up 2 times, assuming they are allowed a proper warm-up.

James 14-25 from NBA 3 56%. # 1 in his group (small forwards)

Good to hear. I know these are just drills, but shooting a high percentage like that only helps his cause.

Not necessarily. It helps, yes, but the overall generalization isn't completely true.

I think he'll get it up 2 times, assuming they are allowed a proper warm-up.

"the overall generalization isn't completely true" im not sure i understand you there but i don't know any generalization that is completely true.

Yep 185. IIRC, Durant didn't get one rep and he's doing alright.

Not really sure if attempting to compare MCW's lack of strength with Durant's success is on the same plane. Durant at 6'10" or 11" has a very unique skillset, and can really shoot the ball. MCW has an average handle at best, and really can't shoot it well, certainly he hasn't proven to do it with any sort of consistency. Combine that with his weak build...ultimately, we'll have to wait and see.

Durant's lack of strength was a serious factor in the Grizzlies series. No doubt he's a special talent, but with Westbrook out, he did not have the strength nor stamina to carry his team into the next round. Certainly, imo, his weaker frame contributed to him missing that mid-range open look at the end of last night's game. Several critics said he should've driven or gotten closer to the rim, but his relative lack of strength (along with the series' affect) likely convinced him otherwise. In my opinion, Durant needs to work on his strength...

Not really sure if attempting to compare MCW's lack of strength with Durant's success is on the same plane. Durant at 6'10" or 11" has a very unique skillset, and can really shoot the ball. MCW has an average handle at best, and really can't shoot it well, certainly he hasn't proven to do it with any sort of consistency. Combine that with his weak build...ultimately, we'll have to wait and see.

Durant's lack of strength was a serious factor in the Grizzlies series. No doubt he's a special talent, but with Westbrook out, he did not have the strength nor stamina to carry his team into the next round. Certainly, imo, his weaker frame contributed to him missing that mid-range open look at the end of last night's game. Several critics said he should've driven or gotten closer to the rim, but his relative lack of strength likely convinced him otherwise. In my opinion, Durant needs to work on his strength...
No, it's not meant to be a comparison at all skill-wise, I just don't think it's a very important part of the testing process. Plus, with the wingspan that many of these players have, they're already at a huge disadvantage in that kind of strength testing. It really depends more on what kind of player you are. Durant doesn't really need to be big, bulky or strong if he's going to hang out on the perimeter and shoot jumpers. It's all variance.

I think MCW is going to have a hard time getting around those hedges coming up on pick' n roll D. He could easily get bumped and dislodged.

Also a foul in college...doesn't mean it's called consistently in both leagues though.
It's called much more in the NBA. No hand checking on the perimeter

who cares how much a guy whose game is based almost nothing on strength can bench?

The ball weights the same in college as nba doesnt it?

No, it's not meant to be a comparison at all skill-wise, I just don't think it's a very important part of the testing process. Plus, with the wingspan that many of these players have, they're already at a huge disadvantage in that kind of strength testing. It really depends more on what kind of player you are. Durant doesn't really need to be big, bulky or strong if he's going to hang out on the perimeter and shoot jumpers. It's all variance.

I certainly agree that Durant doesn't need to get big or bulky, however, part of his game is also taking the ball to the rak, and, if he wants to be able to do so consistently (especially when it matters...playoffs) and be able to finish, he needs to get stronger. Otherwise, he'll indeed be one dimensional and just hang out on the perimeter...

Is that a safe or bad move by MCW? Both depending on who you ask?

IMO, it doesn't really matter. He'll have to go through those drills in individual team workouts anyways. Probably better to just focus on preparing for the athletic stuff one week and the skills stuff after that.

I honestly think his stock will rise as we move on in the process. It's to the point now where the general consensus on him is that he's the worst shooter as a guard that's come out in a long time and that he's an average at best athlete. I think he'll test well athletically (though bench reps might be an issue lol), and if he even shoots average compared to some of the other guards, his stock will soar. I expect he'll be a top 10 pick by draft day and challenge for being the first PG off the board.

I honestly think his stock will rise as we move on in the process. It's to the point now where the general consensus on him is that he's the worst shooter as a guard that's come out in a long time and that he's an average at best athlete. I think he'll test well athletically (though bench reps might be an issue lol), and if he even shoots average compared to some of the other guards, his stock will soar. I expect he'll be a top 10 pick by draft day and challenge for being the first PG off the board.
Our top end players (Flynn, Waiters, Wes, Fab) of late seem to do really well increasing their draft stock. It's our fringe guys that seem to lose ground once they get in those settings.

I think MCW is more like Flynn/Waiters/Wes/Fab than our fringe NBA talents.

Our top end players (Flynn, Waiters, Wes, Fab) of late seem to do really well increasing their draft stock. It's our fringe guys that seem to lose ground once they get in those settings.

I think MCW is more like Flynn/Waiters/Wes/Fab than our fringe NBA talents.

Man, I almost forgot Fab was in the league lol. Hopefully he gets a chance to play next year. God knows the Celtics may very well be bad enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom