Sure | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Sure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honest question---Does he get to do and say whatever he wants until that point?
He’s the head coach. As I said earlier today, he’s not above discipline if the situation warrants it. But none of us can expect Wildhack to tell JB how to do his job.

I believe every word Williams said. I also believe he’ll change his mind if he feels like JB doesn’t want him to come back.

Remember, Melo wanted to return for his sophomore season. JB convinced him otherwise.

I mean, if you want to sugar coat it, you can argue that JB isn’t up to coaching Williams to his potential and recognizes he’ll thrive elsewhere, and unfortunately this is how he chooses to handle it.
Uh JB convinced Melo to leave because he was going to be top 5 in the draft, are you really comparing Benny Williams to one of the leading scorers NBA history?

What makes you think JB “isn’t up to coaching” Benny? He talks with him basically all game, constantly teaching. You think just because he isn’t improving that means JB isn’t coaching? Maybe the kid isn’t actually a 5 star talent.

You go with the better guy now over potential when it gets you results. When results and the post season are out of reach, you work to start trying to mold that potential for future results.
I don’t disagree with that in theory. I’m sure that’s how most of us would handle it.

That said, JB has never done things that way and I don’t expect him to start now.

I don’t disagree with that in theory. I’m sure that’s how most of us would handle it.

That said, JB has never done things that way and I don’t expect him to start now.

And it's magnified now unfortunately with nothing to hide behind like a national ranking or a chance at the tourney. It's been coming and now it's hear sadly.

Uh JB convinced Melo to leave because he was going to be top 5 in the draft, are you really comparing Benny Williams to one of the leading scorers NBA history?

What makes you think JB “isn’t up to coaching” Benny? He talks with him basically all game, constantly teaching. You think just because he isn’t improving that means JB isn’t coaching? Maybe the kid isn’t actually a 5 star talent.
How in the world do you know what JB is saying to Benny? And not sure you noticed, but when Jimmy finally came out last game, Benny got bumped from the seat of "joy" on the bench.

I never said that Benny is better than Jimmy. I’m not pretending that Benny is better than Jimmy or Swider.

Neither of them are so much better than Benny that they should be playing 35+ minutes while Benny watches the entire game with the coaches. Especially on JB’s worst team ever that plays zeroes defense and doesn’t start even an average athlete 1-4. Sweet strawman, though.
Right now, Williams doesn’t do anything well. He can’t shoot a lick. On defense, he has to rely on his athleticism because he doesn’t know where to be.

I agree with JB that Williams isn’t playable right now. I disagree with JB giving up on him.

Torrence and Anselem deserve more minutes, no question. Williams deserves some playing time, I’ll give you that. We’re talking about a few minutes each half, though. That’s really not enough to help him improve.

I also wish he would cut his hair, just so we can rule that out as being an issue. (Or at least wear it like Bacot.)

He made one mistake the game before last, and then didn't see the floor for a second in the last game. How exactly can he earn his time?

And I think it's very clear that JB has given up on him.
In practice.

Crystal.

How in the world do you know what JB is saying to Benny? And not sure you noticed, but when Jimmy finally came out last game, Benny got bumped from the seat of "joy" on the bench.
And if you noticed, JB continually walked down to speak with Benny, but hey it’s easier to notice a coach talking to a starter right?

It’s not like I’m saying he’s the second coming of Melo, as many did before the season. I’m just reminding you that players can change their minds, especially when head coaches are trying to convince them to change their minds. And that it’s happened here before.

What makes me think JB isn’t up to coaching Benny? How about everything he’s said about him over the last week?

And you’re right, he may have been overrated as a prospect. That doesn’t automatically make him a 1-star prospect. You can see from his film that he has talent. He also has the kind of athleticism that fits in well at SU, even if it takes time. He’s got sophomore leap written all over him.

Nope, but I see how you could think that considering I don’t just assume the coach is purposefully sabotaging the program.
Of course he’s not purposely sabotaging the program. I think it’s fair to argue that he doesn’t want to deal with certain players, though. He doesn’t want to deal with certain attitudes and he may not want to deal with certain projects either. Williams is more of a project than anyone expected.

Nope, but I see how you could think that considering I don’t just assume the coach is purposefully sabotaging the program.

Back up. Where and when did I ever do that? You are projecting something that isn't there if you have ever read a single post of mine around all this. Do better.

You are doing a whole lot of assuming to defend actions you don't know the roots of. There is no insinuation around the criticism simply just disappointment and confusion. It's an illogical approach and the programs results are not good. Very simple. Assuming is never a good thing.

I'm hopeful we survive this season whatever it turns out to be to not have next year be worse. Every year we fail to get back on the wagon hurts the legacy of the man we all really do appreciate for everything he is and has done here.

That’s the thing I don’t think he’s purposefully doing it, which means he is not capable of being competitive anymore as seen by our results. Recruiting is nowhere close to where it has to be and frankly I don’t care if it’s because he recruited and constructed a roster to get his kids the most playing time or it’s a lack of development, something is seriously wrong with the program and it’s been trending this way for awhile.

It’s time to move on.

I've loved Syracuse basketball for decades, but this attitude is precisely why I won't watch Syracuse basketball until JB is gone.

It sounds like the former. I guess we’ll know for sure if he’s still on the team next year.
I'm leaning towards the later. He's getting the full treatment, he has the smarts and skills to get the job done.

He said the same thing about Edwards last year, now he is best payer on them? Hmmm….Only way to get players game experience is to play them. He gets 3, zero, 5, etc,,,Not going to get much improvement tomorrow rest for starters with that model. Terrible

I'm leaning towards the later. He's getting the full treatment, he has the smarts and skills to get the job done.
Maybe. He’s directly responsible for five of our losses so far (Colgate, Georgetown, UVA, Miami, Wake), though. His in-game decisions cost us those games. (Yes, even with some questionable officiating.) Has that ever happened before? Five losses in a season? I know others will say yes, but I won’t. And the season isn’t even over yet.

I’ve always said JB has earned the right to leave on his terms and I stand by that. He’s not above discipline from Wildhack, though.
How would Wildhack discipline him?

JB is a hard ass and has always been so. It is not exactly a secret, so get over it. If you assume that he is easy on his kids, you would probably be wrong. Did you know that he consulted with others to help decide if Jimmy is good enough for Syracuse? Did you also know that it has always been his philosophy that players improve during scrimages and do nof need PT for the sake of learning. Furthermore, Williams shot is a disaster. No coach would play him over Jimmy. This thread is disappointing. Did you posters also know that JB also compared Williams to a player that showed remarkable improvement? I am as disappointed as anyone by the possibility of a losing season and I go back a long ways. Our roster has limitations, and we lost too many recruiting battles. ACC kids do not line up to go to Cuse the way BE kids used to. We are in a difficult position when it comes to recruiting.
Good take however its not about Jim being a hard arse. Its about him publicly putting down one of his players who was his prize recruit and who just a few days ago acted in Jim and the programs best interest.
As to recruiting if Jim doesn't have the energy to compete on that front and decides to let his assistants carry the load than he either needs to step up or make a staff change.
As to Jimmy i think hes a good player. I dont think we have a single player on this team that needs to play if they are not playing well.
Jim is a good coach and would actually be coaching better if he wasn't coaching his kids. Regardless of what he says or doesn’t say its impossible to not coach your kids differently and its obvious.

Good take however its not about Jim being a hard arse. Its about him publicly putting down one of his players who was his prize recruit and who just a few days ago acted in Jim and the programs best interest.
As to recruiting if Jim doesn't have the energy to compete on that front and decides to let his assistants carry the load than he either needs to step up or make a staff change.
As to Jimmy i think hes a good player. I dont think we have a single player on this team that needs to play if they are not playing well.
Jim is a good coach and would actually be coaching better if he wasn't coaching his kids. Regardless of what he says or doesn’t say its impossible to not coach your kids differently and its obvious.
Benny's answer was to me not really that strong. He needs to say, "next year, I'm going to get this straight TODAY, this team needs me playing and contributing today". If your boss says you're struggling, you need to talk to him with no ego and no preconceived notions and say what needs to be done and how do you want it done.

In case you don't already know I'll let you in on a secret. Jim is very insecure always has been and always will. He deals with this by becoming aggressive. He doesn't like being questioned about anything. Heck he made his family take back a Christmas present a few years ago because he didn't want to learn how to use a new phone. The guy can coach with the best of them, but he is a complicated and often caustic individual. Bottom line is he isn't going to change and unless JW takes control which i do think he will do Jim is going to be Jim
I’ve played quite a bit of golf with JB and the asst coaches during my time. Always thinks he gets bad breaks on the course that only happens to him. Doesn’t think any golf course is really spectacular (Augusta included). The asst coaches had to teach him how to text because he didn’t want to so I know exactly what you’re talking about. Unfortunately there’s so much I know that I can’t share

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom