Thamel gives some names | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

Thamel gives some names

Random thoughts catching up to this thread.

1. UCLA has 1 bad loss this year, and just beat USC. They will likely finish 8-4, can't imagine Chip Kelly will be fired.
2. Don't see Marrone thinking we have enough NIL money to compete. And don't see him wanting to take the job without Anselmo (assuming he stays retired).
3. Don't understand why people dismiss Lewis and White as if they they're extensions of Dino. They're not. One left to be a head coach, the other took a job at a bigger program (at least in terms of tradition, fan base, money). They both understand what it takes to win here. Going too far outside the box with someone that doesn't get this program could be disaster. See Robinson, Greg.

Like Go said, Wildhack probably already has his top 3. Maybe lets the "national search" throw a couple more names his way. Needs to plan out thorough interviews where he's prepared to ask the right questions and answer the right questions. It will be a two way street.

It will keep him busy in Hawaii.
Im pretty certain chip is getting fired

It’s NOT a rebuild. It’s a level up job, not start from scratch. All hands this was a nine win roster entering the season. I get injuries happen, but this isn’t picking up from Robinson or Shafer.

Come on and at least understand the situation.

It is a rebuild on O. We have no QBs, WRs, or OL. Can't do much with just Villari and Allen.

I would think it’s more like the nfl with free agency. Not totally reliant on high schoolers. The school would need to commit to providing resources to support talent acquisition.
The school needs to do that with whomever.

He wasn’t really into the recruiting element over a decade ago. I sincerely question whether he is the adaptable type to run a college program. Great brain and strategist, but I’m skeptical he’s at all the right choice.

Im pretty certain chip is getting fired

8-4 with 3 of those losses @ Utah, @ Oregon State, @ Arizona (all 3 good teams and tough places to play)?

Their decision I guess.

1. UCLA has 1 bad loss this year, and just beat USC. They will likely finish 8-4, can't imagine Chip Kelly will be fired.
2. Don't see Marrone thinking we have enough NIL money to compete. And don't see him wanting to take the job without Anselmo (assuming he stays retired).
3. Don't understand why people dismiss Lewis and White as if they they're extensions of Dino. They're not. One left to be a head coach, the other took a job at a bigger program (at least in terms of tradition, fan base, money). They both understand what it takes to win here. Going too far outside the box with someone that doesn't get this program could be disaster. See Robinson, Greg.

Like Go said, Wildhack probably already has his top 3. Maybe lets the "national search" throw a couple more names his way. Needs to plan out thorough interviews where he's prepared to ask the right questions and answer the right questions. It will be a two way street.

I would guess that John has his finalist already. If anything he understands this game from his ESPN days. He didnt fire Dino hoping that someone would take the job

He makes over 6mm per year with a nearly 10 mil buyout and is under contract through 2027…he’s also 60 years old
I think it has been rumored he will be let go from UCLA and therefore is projected to be available.

I don't know if anyone posted The Athletics' list of candidates yet. Excellent research. Out of this list, how about Jeff Stoutland, the Eagles O Line coach??

I think it has been rumored he will be let go from UCLA and therefore is projected to be available.
But that doesn’t mean he is coming here…and he makes 50% more than we pay today

What's a Sluka? I know nothing about Holy Cross or the Patriot League.

I hope this is a national search.

If at the end of a couple weeks of said National Search, the HC coach is the best we can do, then so be it.

Concerned w the names at the top of some of these lists.
He had offers from Charlotte and coastal Carolina

A HC that is fully invested in making SU better, has success, and moves on after 3 years while leaving a full cupboard I am totally fine with.

A HC that doesn't bother establishing recruiting ties and looks at quick fixes, has success, and moves on after 3 years while leaving the cupboard bare I am not fine with.

I feel like Dino was trying to be the latter at every one of his prior stops (including SU). Then he had to figure things out after getting no offers.

I fear Lewis (or any other P5 OC/DC) would be similar to Dino. Going 8-5, 5-7, 7-5 and then bouncing while leaving a complete rebuild behind.

No problem being a stepping stone as long as there is something to build off of when they leave.
Just a come on from the whores on Seventh Avenue.

Thats crazy.
On his podcast today, Bruce Feldman said that people he’s spoken to think the new coach should have a connection to the Coach P years. Someone who knows what it takes to win in Syracuse.

But that doesn’t mean he is coming here…and he makes 50% more than we pay today
Understood, was just highlighting that data point if you had not seen it.

Lewis was here less than 24 months. Not long enough to establish recruiting ties. He was also a part of teams that went 8-16 here. He might understand that it is difficult but does he have solutions? I think he is a very good O mind but he has given no indication that he can have a strong staff and recruit here, ie be successful.

White was here longer but same thing. A very good D mind but why would we expect different than 2021-2023?

I think both are very good coordinators but IMO that isn't our problem right now. Hiring either is a solution to a problem we don't have and does not address our real issues.

On his podcast today, Bruce Feldman said that people he’s spoken to think the new coach should have a connection to the Coach P years. Someone who knows what it takes to win in Syracuse.

I like the thought, but that's not going to be a young guy.
And actually, if his core competency is coaching offensive line, I'm perfectly ok with that. The new guy won't jump ship after 3 years if he's successful, if he's a guy in his 50s or 60s. I'm cool with that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom