Thamel gives some names | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

Thamel gives some names

I would buy two more season tickets just because if Rich Rod or Manny Diaz were hired, I think they would both be fantastic here.
I would really, really like Diaz. He is backpacking James Franklin right now.

Lewis was here less than 24 months. Not long enough to establish recruiting ties. He was also a part of teams that went 8-16 here. He might understand that it is difficult but does he have solutions? I think he is a very good O mind but he has given no indication that he can have a strong staff and recruit here, ie be successful.

White was here longer but same thing. A very good D mind but why would we expect different than 2021-2023?

I think both are very good coordinators but IMO that isn't our problem right now. Hiring either is a solution to a problem we don't have and does not address our real issues.

I don’t really know how you can say that though. You don’t know what they’d do to solve our issues.

Both were very good coordinators, you interview them, and assess their plan. They both know our challenges.

I could see either of them asking Rocky Long to stick around.

Agreed. The only people who think that the new coach has to have a tie to Coach P are the guys who played for Coach P. That’s how you get names like Addazio and Walker.

If Addazio could just be the line coach, that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but I'm sure he would want to at least be a coordinator, and he's just too meathead to be calling plays. But his BC teams could always block like hell.

Kevin was very good here. Completely forgot about him

He didn't do sad bad with Michael Vick, either. Very good offensive mind, still coaching at a high level. Might be available with all the mess in Cleveland (again).

I like the thought, but that's not going to be a young guy.
And actually, if his core competency is coaching offensive line, I'm perfectly ok with that. The new guy won't jump ship after 3 years if he's successful, if he's a guy in his 50s or 60s. I'm cool with that.
I should add that he mentioned that that guy is probably in his 60s and would be a tough sell. He’s pretty plugged into the industry so not very inspiring thinking from his Cuse sources.

He didn't do sad bad with Michael Vick, either. Very good offensive mind, still coaching at a high level. Might be available with all the mess in Cleveland (again).
He’s like 72 years old.

I should add that he mentioned that that guy is probably in his 60s and would be a tough sell. He’s pretty plugged into the industry so not very inspiring thinking from his Cuse sources.

Hey, was Coach Mac such a bad hire? He must have been in his late 50s when he first came here and in his late 60s when he left.

That sounds like Stoutland !!!

Philadelphia Eagles offensive line coach Jeff Stoutland is beloved by the Syracuse football community. He’s also beloved by his players in Philly and regarded by many as the best line coach in football. The 61-year-old Staten Island native started his coaching career at Syracuse and knows exactly what made the program thrive back in the day. Whether he would want to jump back into the college football world after leaving it over a decade ago (he last worked in college on Nick Saban’s Alabama staff in 2012) seems very questionable. Another complication is whether this Syracuse leadership group would want to wait out the Eagles’ playoff run, which could keep Stoutland tied up well into February.

I don’t really know how you can say that though. You don’t know what they’d do to solve our issues.

Both were very good coordinators, you interview them, and assess their plan. They both know our challenges.

I could see either of them asking Rocky Long to stick around.

You can interview them but they better have a damn good answer as to why things would be different if they were HC. They need a plan to bring in talent. They need plan for assistant coaches they would try to bring in. They need a plan for the opposite side of the ball. If they have good answers then they should be highly considered. Same with any OC/DC really.

If Addazio could just be the line coach, that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but I'm sure he would want to at least be a coordinator, and he's just too meathead to be calling plays. But his BC teams could always block like hell.
Is it time for the Dazzler

I get the feeling it will be White for a number of reasons
A few potential reasons why:
  • maybe ADJW thinks he sees a rising coaching star in TW and thinks he has what it takes to be a winning HC at SU - in spite of the program's acknowledged limitations.
  • maybe ADJW also thinks he sees a rising star in Beck but doesn't think he's ready to take over the program yet - however, maybe JW would still like to keep Beck at SU and possibly pair him w/ TW. And since White and Beck have a history, maybe JW thinks both parties would be OK with that sort of pre-arranged Offense/Defense marriage btwn two talented, up-and-coming young coaches eager to make a name for themselves.
  • maybe JW values White's intimate knowledge of the school, program/recruiting landscape and his family ties/New York roots. And maybe bc of those ties, TW has previously let it be known to JW that if the SU job ever became available, he'd definitely be interested.
  • maybe the SU hierarchy - and JW himself - also place some value in having a minority HC; a potential edge in recruiting/program marketing. I'm sure it's not a deciding factor but it is probably viewed as a plus.
  • maybe JW views a White/Beck tandem as a financially low risk/high reward pathway towards vastly upgrading the team's coaching, while also salvaging as best they can, a promising recruiting class - one of the best in years - and convincing the better players currently on the roster to stay on board.
Have no clue what ADJW is actually thinking of course - just pure SNF-watching conjecture.

Last edited:

His options right now are OL coach somewhere else or retire. No one is hiring him as their OC or HC. So why not SU?

His options right now are OL coach somewhere else or retire. No one is hiring him as their OC or HC. So why not SU?

It would be like hiring DeLeone to coach line. You know your team would be able to block and run the football. We haven't had that in ages.

A few potential reasons why:
  • maybe ADJW thinks he sees a rising coaching star in TW and thinks he has what it takes to be a winning HC at SU - in spite of the program's acknowledged limitations.
  • maybe ADJW also thinks he sees a rising star in Beck but doesn't think he's ready to take over the program yet - however, maybe JW would still like to keep Beck at SU and possibly pair him w/ TW. And since White and Beck have a history, maybe JW thinks both parties would be OK with that sort of pre-arranged Offense/Defense marriage btwn two talented, up-and-coming young coaches eager to make a name for themselves.
  • maybe JW values White's intimate knowledge of the school, program/recruiting landscape and his family ties/New York roots. And maybe bc of those ties, TW has previously let it be known to JW that if the SU job ever became available, he'd be definitely be interested.
  • maybe the SU hierarchy - and JW himself - also place some value in having a minority HC; a potential edge in recruiting/program marketing. I'm sure it's not a deciding factor but it is probably viewed as a plus.
  • maybe JW views a White/Beck tandem as a financially low risk/high reward pathway towards vastly upgrading the team's coaching, while also salvaging as best they can, a promising recruiting class - one of the best in years - and convincing the better players currently on the roster to stay on board.
Have no clue what ADJW is actually thinking of course - just pure SNF-watching conjecture.

You might as well have extended Dino then. It is the same system on both sides of the ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom