Thamel gives some names | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

Thamel gives some names

Lots of ppl in here trying to twist this more than it needs to be. All I’m saying is 1- it’s a fact that most football players are black and do identify / relate better to a black male head coach, and 2- Syracuse University, regardless of what you believe, states very clearly on their website their commitment to DEI hiring and minority hires. Just stating facts, no need for anyone to get uptight
I'm not uptight about it, but my eyes glaze over when I read it. I'm not even thinking of you specifically. 8 years of Dino did not bring success. If players relate to him more, then it must only be the 2 stars bc the 5 stars are ending up elsewhere.

Looking forward to the next HC. Hope he is awesome & not some abject, but nice, failure.

5 Realistic Candidates for the SU head football position.

1 Bill O’Brien - NE Patriots

2 Jason Candle - Toledo

3. Liam Coen Kentucky

4. Mark DeLeone - Kansas

5. Michael Hart - UMichigan

I don't know if anyone posted The Athletics' list of candidates yet. Excellent research. Out of this list, how about Jeff Stoutland, the Eagles O Line coach??

I'm an Eagles fan and I'd be depressed for the Eagles if he left, and wouldn't be surprised if they made him the highest paid non-coordinator in the NFL to keep him if it came to it. He's the best OL coach in the world, hands down, He takes diamonds in the rough and schools them up within weeks.

His players say his meetings are the toughest they've ever had, he'll just randomly shout out questions at them in the middle of other stuff and make sure they know their assignments and adjustments. They're SUPER well prepared. They all have great technique and get the absolute maximum out of their talent.

He'd be cranking out first line draft picks on the OL at Cuse within 3 years. He's also been the run game coordinator for the Eagles and their run game has been excellent.

As to whether he can succeed as a head coach and run an offense? I have no idea. It's not like he can be the OL coach himself if he's the head coach, although he could make sure those guys get coached up and help out with it.

Other than a stint as interim head coach at Miami, he hasn't been an offensive coordinator since 1992. He's a Northeast guy, born on Staten Island, went to Southern Connecticut, and his first few stops in coaching were Southern Connecticut, Syracuse, and Cornell.

On the other hand he's 61, and I'd be somewhat surprised if he was actually in the mix. I would be pretty surprised if he were able to navigate the NIL landscape. He hasn't even had to think about anything other than evaluating talent and teaching technique in a long, long time. I highly doubt he'd leave in the middle of the season, too, so you're talking about waiting a while.

It is a rebuild on O. We have no QBs, WRs, or OL. Can't do much with just Villari and Allen.
Qb is obviously a problem. Other than that the offense isn’t a rebuild. It needs to upgrade two OL and one Wr.

3 of the top 6 OL hardly played this year. At least two of three will be back. I think they need to bring in two more Wholabaugh/Bleich type transfers.

WR, getting a Tristan Jackson type would go a long way to fix WR. That and keeping Gadsden. The other guys aren’t ones but they can be solid enough.

Understood, was just highlighting that data point if you had not seen it.
I find it so strange that CFB teams walk from guys like that but alas the times….

You can interview them but they better have a damn good answer as to why things would be different if they were HC. They need a plan to bring in talent. They need plan for assistant coaches they would try to bring in. They need a plan for the opposite side of the ball. If they have good answers then they should be highly considered. Same with any OC/DC really.
Exactlyz. Red said all the right things to JW but until you’re in the saddle it’s all talk…

I'll say this about Stoutland. Regardless of who the new coach is, if they can get Stoutland in as a consultant for a few weeks during the NFL offseason - whether he's working with the OL coach or they can time it for spring practice or something, it would be invaluable. He's a legendary OL coach.

Qb is obviously a problem. Other than that the offense isn’t a rebuild. It needs to upgrade two OL and one Wr.

3 of the top 6 OL hardly played this year. At least two of three will be back. I think they need to bring in two more Wholabaugh/Bleich type transfers.

WR, getting a Tristan Jackson type would go a long way to fix WR. That and keeping Gadsden. The other guys aren’t ones but they can be solid enough.

We don't have anyone to play the most important position. We have no depth and you admitted we need at least 4 new starters, which is assuming that Allen, OG, and Villari are all back.

A few potential reasons why:
  • maybe ADJW also thinks he sees a rising star in Beck but doesn't think he's ready to take over the program yet - however, maybe JW would still like to keep Beck at SU and possibly pair him w/ TW.
Have no clue what ADJW is actually thinking of course - just pure SNF-watching conjecture.
I sincerely hope AD JW is not picking the coordinators.

Hoping for a complete break from Babers & his tree.

I'm warming up by the Candle:
  • Lots of D-1 Head Coaching success.
  • Good recruiter reputation (named the Mid-American Conference “Recruiter of the Year” by Snout.com in both 2011 and 2012).
  • Good Offensive coach, which I think is harder to find than Defensive.

• If you can get Mullen, Fritz, or Cignetti, they would be excellent hires/slam dunks with proven sustained HC success.
  • Lewis ditching his team to be an OC is a red flag to me.
  • I do think White has good potential and would be a good recruiter-just missing the HC experience. High upside.
  • I'm not as psyched about Chesney as others-If he was dominating like Leipold at D-3, I'd feel different.
  • Longo is an interesting name that checks off some boxes.
If I'm Wildhack, I'm meeting with as many people as possible and looking for someone who appears extremely motivated with a good plan for success starting with discipline, continuing with recruiting, and ending with recruiting. This includes a plan for a solid staff.

Last edited:
I'm warming up by the Candle. Lots of D-1 Head Coaching success. Good recruiter reputation (named the Mid-American Conference “Recruiter of the Year” by At their request, this network is being blocked from this site. in both 2011 and 2012). Good Offensive coach, which I think is harder to find. Lewis ditching his team to be an OC is a red flag to me. I do think White has good potential and would be a good recruiter-just missing the HC experience. Longo is an interesting name that checks off some boxes. I hope that Wildhack meets with as many people as possible and finds someone extremely motivated with a good plan for success starting with discipline, continuing with recruiting, and ending with recruiting.

He is 12-1 in his last 13 games. That one loss was a last minute FG on the road to Illinois.

We don't have anyone to play the most important position. We have no depth and you admitted we need at least 4 new starters, which is assuming that Allen, OG, and Villari are all back.
I have no idea what Davis can do or the incoming kid. It would be better if CDRW looked credible but if anything he’s gone backwards. It’s not a good situation, but solvable.

Bradford and Petry should be depth guys, not 12 game starters. That’s what killed the team. If that’s what they are next year the team will be much better.

You always need new starters, it’s the nature of the sport. But it’s not like they have to bring in 22 kids that can play in the ACC. If the three linemen who were hurt all year played 12 games this season looks much different.

Would be a home run.

My #1

I agree. More on him:

Brian Hartline, Ohio State OC

(Adam Cairns / USA TODAY NETWORK)

There’s no hotter head coaching candidate among assistant coaches than Hartline.

The former Ohio State and NFL wide receiver has already been a person of interest for head coaching opportunities at the Power Five level. Expect that to continue. Sources in the administrator world that have interacted with Hartline speak extremely highly of him.

“He’s very impressive,” one administrator source told On3.

“I understand the hype,” another administrator that has interacted with Hartline shared.

After five seasons as Ohio State’s wide receivers coach, Hartline is now entering his first year as the Buckeyes’ offensive coordinator. In addition to having three receivers that went in the first round of the last two NFL drafts and two more that could go in the first round next year, Hartline also continues to be one of the nation’s top recruiters. Since becoming an assistant at Ohio State in 2018, he has served as the lead recruiter on 20 four- or five-star recruits that the Buckeyes have landed.

Hartline, who played seven seasons in the NFL with the Miami Dolphins and Cleveland Browns, finished his NFL career with 344 catches, 4,766 receiving yards and 14 touchdowns.

“Brian has been successful in every football capacity for which he has been engaged,” Ohio State head coach Ryan Day said after promoting Hartline to offensive coordinator. “He has progressed incredibly well from college to NFL receiver and then from quality control coach to wide receivers coach to passing game coordinator. He figures things out quickly and he is more than ready to now transition to offensive coordinator.

“Brian has also developed his receivers at an unprecedented level and he has recruited as well or better than anyone in the country. Now he’ll be recruiting for our entire offense and I think that is something that will be really positive for our program.”

Last edited:
I agree. More on him:

Brian Hartline, Ohio State OC

(Adam Cairns / USA TODAY NETWORK)

There’s no hotter head coaching candidate among assistant coaches than Hartline.

The former Ohio State and NFL wide receiver has already been a person of interest for head coaching opportunities at the Power Five level. Expect that to continue. Sources in the administrator world that have interacted with Hartline speak extremely highly of him.

“He’s very impressive,” one administrator source told On3.

“I understand the hype,” another administrator that has interacted with Hartline shared.

After five seasons as Ohio State’s wide receivers coach, Hartline is now entering his first year as the Buckeyes’ offensive coordinator. In addition to having three receivers that went in the first round of the last two NFL drafts and two more that could go in the first round next year, Hartline also continues to be one of the nation’s top recruiters. Since becoming an assistant at Ohio State in 2018, he has served as the lead recruiter on 20 four- or five-star recruits that the Buckeyes have landed.

Hartline, who played seven seasons in the NFL with the Miami Dolphins and Cleveland Browns, finished his NFL career with 344 catches, 4,766 receiving yards and 14 touchdowns.

“Brian has been successful in every football capacity for which he has been engaged,” Ohio State head coach Ryan Day said after promoting Hartline to offensive coordinator. “He has progressed incredibly well from college to NFL receiver and then from quality control coach to wide receivers coach to passing game coordinator. He figures things out quickly and he is more than ready to now transition to offensive coordinator.

“Brian has also developed his receivers at an unprecedented level and he has recruited as well or better than anyone in the country. Now he’ll be recruiting for our entire offense and I think that is something that will be really positive for our program.”

Not even close to a fit for SU. And their O has been down big time this year. Rather have Lewis for sure.

You might as well have extended Dino then. It is the same system on both sides of the ball.
Not really. First of all, defensively, whether run by White or Long, the 3-3-5 has been successful at SU. When TW was running it, the SU D was one of the tops in the nation. At Nebraska, White's D was top 15 nationally prior to Sat. And while the D may have taken a bit of step back under Long, it's still a solid unit and shows that the 3-3-5 does work at SU.

So if I'm JW and I see a defensive scheme that works well with the type of smaller, quicker athletes up front that Syracuse can regularly recruit, why would I want to scrap it? If Dino got one thing right, it was switching to the 3-3-5 - so there's no need to scrap it if it works. Obviously, White would continue using the now proven scheme, which is likely a signifigant part of TW's appeal to ADJW.

As far as Beck goes, he's still a mystery to me and I'm not sure it's accurate or necessarily fair to call his system "the same" as Babers' "system" - if he even had one after his hyper speed-offense fizzled. In someways you have to give Beck a Mulligan on this year's poor O bc of GS & CDRW's health/injuries, Sellers de-commit and Lamson's transfer - not to mention the o-line injuries. So btwn those things and the lack of receiving talent on the roster, the guy had his hand tied behind his back and hasn't really been able to show what he can do or what his "system" actually is, imho.

But I've been super impressed with how he's scraped together enough offense these last two weeks - with NO healthy QB - to win one game and compete valiantly in the loss. So if the theory - and that's all it is - that JW may be high on Beck, it could be based more on first hand observations at practice and his past accomplishments as an offensive coach before SU.

I just don't think anyone can assume Beck is a bad OC or dismiss his potential to be a really good one based solely on this season. JW may or may not feel the same way - don't know but we shall soon see.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom