Thamel gives some names | Page 34 | Syracusefan.com

Thamel gives some names

It was rumored he had no interest because he couldn't get out of Syracuse fast enough last go round - that he didn't enjoy it here before

Obviously very few people would know if that was true or not
This is true!

I posted a month ago about why Lewis wouldn’t be the guy. He’s not jazzed about Syracuse as he left to get away. He’ll have bigger opportunities, IMO. I’d put him at like a 5% chance.

Dude can play for sure. Also likely to get injured mid season like Dungey and Shrader.
I’ve read on the message board that we shouldn’t hire a HC who was a successful offensive coach because Dino was and now we shouldn’t go after a QB who is like Dungey or Shrader because the might get hurt.

We’ve been through a lot, man. Fan base has some scars and deep issues

I think Lewis is my first choice of realistic choices. I still like his offense. I have a low enough opinion of Shrader's passing to give the scheme credit for making him even a little bit efficient. He wants to throw the ball and he was able to get decent performances from Mahoney.
What does Lewis have to do with Shrader?

Do you mean Dungey?

In other words he left to take a HC job
This isn’t my opinion. It’s from a reporter who has talked w Sean well before our job opened up. I don’t think he wants to be our HC (that part is informed opinion). That he left here to be a HC is public knowledge?

What does Lewis have to do with Shrader?

Do you mean Dungey?
Sorry. My fault. I still like Babers's scheme very generally and I credit it for shrader ever looking ok passing. I like Lewis because of what he got out of our passing game and what he accomplished at Kent and I don't blame him for our problems on defense.

Basically, I'm saying that just because babers had to go, I don't want to toss out the offensive approach. I think babers is a little bit of a fraud (still a good decision to hire him based on what we knew then, it just didn't work out) and Lewis isn't a fraud.

Sorry. My fault. I still like Babers's scheme very generally and I credit it for shrader ever looking ok passing. I like Lewis because of what he got out of our passing game and what he accomplished at Kent and I don't blame him for our problems on defense.

Basically, I'm saying that just because babers had to go, I don't want to toss out the offensive approach. I think babers is a little bit of a fraud (still a good decision to hire him based on what we knew then, it just didn't work out) and Lewis isn't a fraud.
There’s nothing wrong with the schemes on either side.

I understand why Babers slowed down some, I think Gilbert’s approach was painful for him, to not completely hang the defense out to dry.

Babers is still here if he won the wake or bowl game last year or bc or gt. Devito’s ribs, Shrader‘s shoulder/wrist/elbow, Tucker’s hip, Gadsden‘s foot, Wholabaugh’s knee, Ellis’ eating habits did him in, not schemes, game management, FG decisions.

Lewis wouldn’t be my first choice, but the program is in a better position and more attractive than when Marrone or Babers were hired. It’s a much better pool of realistic guys than in the past. More attractive than Edsall, Skip Holtz, and Doug.

Golden certainly did not deny the fact that he is a candidate for the SU head coaching position. He would bring back the Coach Mac look on the sidelines.

IMG_7266.jpeg

Last edited:
Golden certainly did not deny the fact that he is a candidate for the SU head coaching position. He would bring back the Coach Mac look on the sidelines.

View attachment 233534

Al Golden would be a very chalk pick. That's the Addazio to BC decision that will be low ceiling high floor.

I'm kinda ok with it since it's baking in a 6 win season perpetually. He was mediocre at Miami which to me is concerning. if we expect miracles at Syracuse ya kinda want him to succeed at the U which has all the trappings of recruitment enticement.

I'd need to be sold on what upside this is bringing to the program or even excitement. I'm all ears and not snarky about it just wondering why this is suddenly a hot commodity.

Further to that if tie goes to the meathead, i'd rather Doug Marrone 2.0

There’s nothing wrong with the schemes on either side.

I understand why Babers slowed down some, I think Gilbert’s approach was painful for him, to not completely hang the defense out to dry.

Babers is still here if he won the wake or bowl game last year or bc or gt. Devito’s ribs, Shrader‘s shoulder/wrist/elbow, Tucker’s hip, Gadsden‘s foot, Wholabaugh’s knee, Ellis’ eating habits did him in, not schemes, game management, FG decisions.

Lewis wouldn’t be my first choice, but the program is in a better position and more attractive than when Marrone or Babers were hired. It’s a much better pool of realistic guys than in the past. More attractive than Edsall, Skip Holtz, and Doug.
In order to run these kinds of offenses, you have to have a good enough offensive line to hold off the defenses of FSU, Clemson and the rest of the very good defenses in the league, otherwise your QB likely gets hurt trying to run. Then you bring in your backup QB who has very little reps and chemistry with the starting offense and things go real bad.

Al Golden would be a very chalk pick. That's the Addazio to BC decision that will be low ceiling high floor.

I'm kinda ok with it since it's baking in a 6 win season perpetually. He was mediocre at Miami which to me is concerning. if we expect miracles at Syracuse ya kinda want him to succeed at the U which has all the trappings of recruitment enticement.

I'd need to be sold on what upside this is bringing to the program or even excitement. I'm all ears and not snarky about it just wondering why this is suddenly a hot commodity.

Further to that if tie goes to the meathead, i'd rather Doug Marrone 2.0
I don't think you can point to success or failure at Miami to indicate anything anymore. Every coach has "failed" in relation to their resources and recruiting. Diaz, Golden, Richt etc. only one 10-win season since they moved to ACC in 2004.

Yup. Keep this guy in mind
Assume he is someone the players who played for Coach P would get behind and help support.

A lot of the players from the Coach P era have done really well for themselves and are in a financial position to help the program. Pretty sure though that they have largely not done so. Pretty sure the ugly way the Coach P era ended has played a big role in this.

One of the reasons I think it is important to invite Coach P back for a home game in 2024 and honor him at halftime. He deserves that for all he accomplished while he was the Syracuse HC. Do it while he is still with us. Invite all his former players and start to heal the long standing wounds between the university and the players of that era.

Back to Jeff. I think John has talked about the importance of good OL play. Pretty sure it is a really important factor for him. Even though he did not mention it in the presser specifically, he has at other times in the past.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom