Thamel gives some names | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Thamel gives some names

in my opinion this move would be similar to what Hack did with replacing Jimmy B and John Desko. It is akin to walking down the hallway and talking to Autry and Gait. As much as Lewis understands what he is in for at SU, he is still a retread from the coach you just fired. If possible I would prefer they went outside to find a fresh set of eyes. Dino was that and his first few years were a breath of fresh air.
I disagree with this thought some are having on Lewis. The offensive success Dino experienced at BG and early at SU was clearly the work of Lewis and not Dino as evidenced by the direction of the O after Lewis left. Lewis stayed true to those roots and had success at Kent State and early this year at CU. White is from the Rocky Long school that Dino hired into. I don’t think Dino ever had much of a philosophy outside of broad concepts and that’s why he could never sustain success on O or D without Lewis/White-Long. The talent was in the coordinators and not the HC as proved by their success after leaving.

Totally different track of thought - do we just keep Nunzio on as head coach? He’s got P5 experience and the Jersey connections. Probably affordable
I'll entertain this thought because I am the only person I know whom is actually more a cheapskate than the SU Athletic Department.

If he does well against wake and we get him cheap and the contract is limited, maybe.

Seriously concerned by how much it took to get around to firing Dino, that we just bankrupted SU or something.

I can’t believe we would hire anybody with ties to Dino or somebody who has zero power five coaching experience as at least a coordinator in the power 5
Why? I would hire who I feel is best for the job. Why pigeon hole yourself?

Last edited:
Good realistic choice -Jason Candle, Toledo checks all the boxes for me. Offensive coach 64-43, constantly makes bowls and only 44.
Midwest ties where all the linemen are.

NC State with Dave Doeren and Wake Forest with Dave Clawson worked out pretty well.

We can afford Candle.
Edit: plays spread and 4-2-5.

If White or Sean Lewis is hired, I hope the budget allows for a big time OC/DC. My best case scenario for hiring White would be to throw a ton of money at Joe Moorhead to leave Akron to be the OC/AHC (I saw somewhere that he makes $600k at Akron, was making a bit over a mil at Oregon as OC). For Lewis, I’d hope the same with a defensive coordinator.

If White or Sean Lewis is hired, I hope the budget allows for a big time OC/DC. My best case scenario for hiring White would be to throw a ton of money at Joe Moorhead to leave Akron to be the OC/AHC (I saw somewhere that he makes $600k at Akron, was making a bit over a mil at Oregon as OC). For Lewis, I’d hope the same with a defensive coordinator.
Either hire wouldn't be best choice and would really tell me nobody will take the job.

Wait, what does this mean?
He's coached at 'Johns Hopkins' (not lax either), 'Salve Regina?', 'Assumption??', and 'Holy Cross' (finally a name I recognize).

I feel like this is one of the board's insider / payside jokes that I don't understand.

Salve Regina and Assumption play lacrosse and Assumption is in the lax northeast 10. That’s all I got.

It will be interesting though is how much the new coach will get paid. Similar to Dino extension? More than Dino extension? Similar to Dino original contact? All considering inflation.

Ugh - please no Sean Lewis. If Prime thought he was any good, Lewis wouldnt have been demoted. The blind loyalty to SU guys from the past is infuriating
Who knows what Deion’s issue with Lewis was but his O was high flying to start the year, Lewis’ O at Akron was racking up points just like here until Lewis left.

He’s a likable, dynamic guy with a resume. I would take him in a second.

Ugh - please no Sean Lewis. If Prime thought he was any good, Lewis wouldnt have been demoted. The blind loyalty to SU guys from the past is infuriating
Who says "Prime" made the correct move?
The offense has been worse since the demotion, it looks like it was a stupid move.
Lewis succeded at Kent State of all places, look up all the transfers he lost and how well they are doing this year
It's not being "blind orange" he is a good young coach that succeded in the armpit of college football.

Either hire wouldn't be best choice and would really tell me nobody will take the job.

Dont think that is fair. Just because we don't hire Candle doesn't mean he wouldn't take the job it could mean we never interviewed him and never offered him the position. People have to be offered the job before we can determine if nobody will take the job.

My guess is that the choice has already been made by JW doesn't seem like this is a move that you make during the season if you have no clue who the replacement is going to be. The deal is most likely done.

The thing with Chesney is that he has been recruiting all the big northeast schools already. The coaches know him. It would obviously be a huge step-up in terms of talent acquisition and athletes.
Bob doesn’t have to change the pipeline for the big uglies. Nuncio is sticking around for NJ too. HC recruits nationally as a catholic schoo.

I wonder if he could bring Sluka…HC has some players I’d take in a heartbeat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom