Thank you Tyler Lydon for an awesome 2 years | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Thank you Tyler Lydon for an awesome 2 years

Not sure what Lydon could do next year to improve his draft stock. Unless he develops a way to create his own shot, he's already shown NBA teams what he has the last 2 years. If he comes back, he loves college, period.

This OP troll's schitck is old. His last post before this troll job was 3.5 months ago and people "liked" his lost.
The American conference is by a thousand cuts killing the program.
Go back to the UConn board.
I think you are being too hard on the OP. He obviously thinks he is a P-5 poster and he can't go back to a mid major board. He sees what is happening to his mid major program. This year is just the beginning. A lot of UConn fans are worried about the other American schools tossing them out for lack of performance. That is what is behind the UConn going to the Big east talk. Sadly, the old Big East said let us think about this, okay?

Think taxes (that's gross income), NBA lifestyle, and longevity . I'll maintain that it doesn't look like a good decision right now.
You gotta make money to pay taxes. Malachi is doing that. His longevity is an unknown either way. Suppose he suffered the hamstring injury he has now while in college. That could be extremely harmful to his long-term earning potential. Right now, he's getting paid to heal.

Malachi made a great decision.

13 rebounds, 3 blocks, and 3 assists.

He played well. We scored 90, we didn't need him to shoot a lot. He did hit a big 3 that got our second half run going

I was most impressed by his positioning for rebounding and the amount of tough rebounds he made. AWIII was shooting lights out, and Lydon was not forced to shoot/take over. Gillon was also playing like a PG with 10 assists. I think everyone was staying on course for their defined roles.

I was most impressed by his positioning for rebounding and the amount of tough rebounds he made. AWIII was shooting lights out, and Lydon was not forced to shoot/take over. Gillon was also playing like a PG with 10 assists. I think everyone was staying on course for their defined roles.

Yeah, he was solid. Complaining about a guy not scoring enough in a game where we scored 90 and won by 30 is completely losing sight of what matters.

Some of these guys clearly have made it their schtick to ride Lydon at all costs unless he scores 20 and puts the team on his back.

Yeah, he was solid. Complaining about a guy not scoring enough in a game where we scored 90 and won by 30 is completely losing sight of what matters.

Some of these guys clearly have made it their schtick to ride Lydon at all costs unless he scores 20 and puts the team on his back.

I am glad we do not have to rely upon Lydon to carry the team with scoring. Coming into this season, I was concerned that would be the case. That may have helped his draft position, but it would have been too much for him to carry the team for the entire season. I think he was trying to do too much in the first tough losses, and we started to do better when he let the other guys score. I think he should be taking more shots generally, but he did not need to against Tech.

I'd be cool with him just making his bunnies, not turning it over at a 50/50 clip when he puts it on the floor and shooting open shots when he has them.

I'd be cool with him just making his bunnies, not turning it over at a 50/50 clip when he puts it on the floor and shooting open shots when he has them.

He's shooting 49% from the field and turns it over 1.6 times per game.

He's not good at going off the dribble...the only guy on the team who is, is Battle though.

He certainly pump fakes too much, and there are times and games where we need him to take more shots(part of that is on him, part of that is on the guards), and he's not a go to scorer getting 16-18 ppg the way many of us thought he would be, me included.

But the guy is a good overall player. The guy above complaining about him in a game where he had 13 rebounds, 3 blocks, and 3 assists and the team scored 90...come on.

He's shooting 49% from the field and turns it over 1.6 times per game.

He's not good at going off the dribble...the only guy on the team who is, is Battle though.

He certainly pump fakes too much, and there are times and games where we need him to take more shots(part of that is on him, part of that is on the guards), and he's not a go to scorer getting 16-18 ppg the way many of us thought he would be, me included.

But the guy is a good overall player. The guy above complaining about him in a game where he had 13 rebounds, 3 blocks, and 3 assists and the team scored 90...come on.
If his numbers have been legit in ACC play than I'll digress and fall back on the ambiguous "eye test". He seems to get outplayed by every 4/5 he goes up against lately.

I get why he's NBA material due to his range and I don't expect him to take over games anymore... We have other guys capable of that.

I do, however, expect him to not pump fake himself out of the gym, be decisive and take open shots while being tough around the rim on offense.

I think he's a good player but I expect more out of him than we've seen lately. Obviously we didn't need him yesterday but there have been plenty of ACC games where we have.

I think he's a good rebounder and he deserves respect for that.

Last edited:
He may not have had the leap some of us hoped but to say he isn't slightly or significantly better in every category is less than accurate
Screen Shot 2017-03-05 at 2.34.59 PM.png

Doesn't matter , if he has one idiot agent singing his virtues he's gone. Sadly it's the way it is nowadays . I know it doesn't make much since, but it is what it is. I don't even worry about it anymore, I expect players to be gone before they should when they play at cuse . We aren't allowed to have the Justin jacksons or Kennedy Meeks. And yes Chris McCullough would have done a great Justin Jackson impression lol.

True, but hopefully him and his father step back, take a deep breath and are smarter than that at the end of the season.

Lydon should go if he's a first rounder but it may be advantageous to come back if he's borderline or projected to go late in the first due to this being one of the better drafts in recent memory.

His measurables, athletically, won't change a ton. Maybe he gets stronger and develops a dribble drive game? Even if he doesn't, he still possesses the one thing that seperates him from better college players at his position...the ability to rain deep threes. I highly doubt that's a skill he will lose any time soon, and that will always get him drafted, given his size.

If he is, indeed, a first rounder at this point, that tells me this year's draft is weak. If nobody has noticed, the NBA is now professional AAU. Its layups, dunks and 25 ft 3's. No intermediate game. The 10-15 ft jumper is obsolete. Coaches coach to take an uncontested 25 footer instead of a contested 10 footer. The NBA is unwatchable, no defense, and not sure where TL's game fits in with all this.

If he is, indeed, a first rounder at this point, that tells me this year's draft is weak. If nobody has noticed, the NBA is now professional AAU. Its layups, dunks and 25 ft 3's. No intermediate game. The 10-15 ft jumper is obsolete. Coaches coach to take an uncontested 25 footer instead of a contested 10 footer. The NBA is unwatchable, no defense, and not sure where TL's game fits in with all this.

No defense...lol. If Tyler doesn't make it, it will probably be because his defense isn't high level enough.

Honestly, his game probably translates better to the NBA than college.

This post explains a lot. The NBA is unwatchable? I take it you're an ISO ball lover back to the days of Kobe and Jordan.

If his numbers have been legit in ACC play than I'll digress and fall back on the ambiguous "eye test". He seems to get outplayed by every 4/5 he goes up against lately.

I get why he's NBA material due to his range and I don't expect him to take over games anymore... We have other guys capable of that.

I do, however, expect him to not pump fake himself out of the gym, be decisive and take open shots while being tough around the rim on offense.

I think he's a good player but I expect more out of him than we've seen lately. Obviously we didn't need him yesterday but there have been plenty of ACC games where we have.

I think he's a good rebounder and he deserves respect for that.

In ACC play he's shooting .497 % from the field. .387% from 3. An incredible .917% from the FT line. 1.7 turnovers per game. 13.8 ppg, 8.8 rebounds per game, 1.9 assists per game, 1.7 blocks per game.

The guy is a couple made 3's away from doing 50, 40, 90 in conference play. Given that..of course we want him to shoot more. He's limited in being able to get his own shot though. He's a guy who is very efficient when he's set up for good shots by others.

Good all around player. I fully agree that he pump fakes way too much, and it is unproductive and maddening to watch. But we can't lose sight of the overall contributions he's bringing to the table. By far our best rebounder, our only real shotblocker now, second on the team in assists, second leading scorer, and outstanding shooting percentages.

People here still lament the loss of Thomas Bryant and it's interesting that Lydon is out producing him across the board. I think we forget he's a sophomore. Frank Kandinsky didn't put up these numbers until he was a Junior.

In ACC play he's shooting .497 % from the field. .387% from 3. An incredible .917% from the FT line. 1.7 turnovers per game. 13.8 ppg, 8.8 rebounds per game, 1.9 assists per game, 1.7 blocks per game.

The guy is a couple made 3's away from doing 50, 40, 90 in conference play. Given that..of course we want him to shoot more. He's limited in being able to get his own shot though. He's a guy who is very efficient when he's set up for good shots by others.

Good all around player. I fully agree that he pump fakes way too much, and it is unproductive and maddening to watch. But we can't lose sight of the overall contributions he's bringing to the table. By far our best rebounder, our only real shotblocker now, second on the team in assists, second leading scorer, and outstanding shooting percentages.
Agreed. He's judged by his first round grade and that's unfair to him.

If he pulls the trigger more and we stop trying to post him up, I'd lessen the criticism.

I'll also fully acknowledge that Gillon is very much instrumental in his effectiveness, or lack thereof.

Remember, Lydon knows going in to every game that he's not coming out.

I expect that would have some effect on his approach to the game.

I think the one fair criticism is that he's too comfortable pump faking and passing up open looks. He could take 2-4 more good shots per game than he does.

Other than that, he's playing iron man ball and is incredibly efficient. Not sure how much more can realistically be asked of him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom