That was the worst broadcast team to do a Syracuse FB game, right? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

That was the worst broadcast team to do a Syracuse FB game, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe she is a PBP announcer for women's hoops. She probably got a short notice call to fill in. If she calls games, she probably is somewhat of a professional and likely does some game prep as most professionals do. However, as a hoops analyst, she is probably not proficient in football - this was her first time calling a football game - so expecting her to get the calls right is too much.

While I agree, she could have been much better, I think that someone who announces games for a living would do a better job if they had any preparation time. This makes me think she was a late add to the crew. This is especially borne out by the fact that she made the obvious repetitive mistake of referring to the field as the floor, which is what she would naturally refer to the playing surface as in a hoops game, or having an prep time would have worked on calling the field a field.

Add to the fact that this was her first football game, she was also announcing a game in front of arguably the best sports broadcasting school, which means we are spoiled and expect more. we will key in on every mistake because we are used to the highest standards of experts coming from SU.

Anyway, she did her best, it was bad, she will do better if she is called on to do so again. We will not likely have her call any more SU games, she's not tied in with ESPN.
She wasn’t a fill-in announcer. She was the assigned announcer for the game.

I think Fauria played TE on that Colorado team that lost to us in the Fiesta Bowl.

I do think Fauria (?) knows some about the game like I said in the game thread but clearly needs a PBP to direct traffic. Then the targeting review happened and I scaled that back. What were they watching?
He was a player, in case you weren't aware. He has two Super Bowl rings, in the event you missed one of the rare 127 references to the fact. He seemed to like to hear his own voice. He liked to drone on and I wonder if he actually had half the opinions he stated or was just talking to hear himself drone on.

He was a player, in case you weren't aware. He has two Super Bowl rings, in the event you missed one of the rare 127 references to the fact. He seemed to like to hear his own voice. He liked to drone on and I wonder if he actually had half the opinions he stated or was just talking to hear himself drone on.
I want to rewatch this game and listen even closer to this broadcast now. I feel like amidst me watching I was not intently listening like I should have. Missed some gems.

But he lost them in his own knapsack for like 2 years, and then she asked him if he actively used that knapsack for those 2 years to which he replied yes, and at that point I was why are you seriously having this conversation during our game as if anyone cares.

But he lost them in his own knapsack for like 2 years, and then she asked him if he actively used that knapsack for those 2 years to which he replied yes, and at that point I was why are you seriously having this conversation during our game as if anyone cares.
Made him sound like a moron.

Wasn't the "Chris Tucker" comment made by the on-field reporter, not by the PBP announcer? At least, that is who I first heard state it.
Yes. Sry, to be clear I was talking about the whole broadcast team. Sideline reporter a proxy for the whole bad thing.

One thing I will give them: they were very complimentary of the team which was nice.

44cuse

I think fauria had some opinions about how to play against stunts. He only made the same point 30 times.

I don’t mind a pbp being monotone, but the zero prep is just mind boggling. This is your job and you probably have 13 to do in a season. She’s had this game on her schedule for months most likely. To be anything less than fluent is an embarrassment. The only people watching this junk game are dedicated fans of these teams. No casual college fb fan is tuning in. If you don’t know the basic players, you’re just lazy and it’s clear to 100% of the audience.

And Syracuse doubles up by a score of 27 to 7. What? And they let the kickoff go out of bounds (as it goes through the end zone). And don’t get me started that the guy on the field reported about Chris Tucker.
I guess in the industry they call that “creative math”.

And Syracuse doubles up by a score of 27 to 7. What? And they let the kickoff go out of bounds (as it goes through the end zone). And don’t get me started that the guy on the field reported about Chris Tucker.
She used hoops lingo a couple times like saying “floor” instead of “field”. Not going to kvetch. What a game.

Agree on this Fauria comment. Thought he talked way too much -- kept going on and on and on. (like you said, he wanted to hear his own voice). It actually bothered me more than the unprepared PBP woman. It is fairly safe to say that this was the worst crew we will experience this year. When this crew was most likely decided months ago, they figured it was a bad UCONN team vs a mediocre Syracuse team. And they were half right --obviously we are better than mediocre!

The thing is, Mark wasn't wrong. It's one thing to be nervous or to make mistakes. But it is another to not be prepared or seem to care about the game she was doing. Maybe she was called at the last minute to do the game.

Agree on nervous vs unprepared. It seemed like CBS was more interested in bragging about her being the "first something, something, or something to call a college football game" than in making sure she was prepared to call her first college football game.

Too many people giving too much of a break. No media or journalistic standards were met. If she wants to try to do football maybe start with some practice games doing PBP for past games. That's how professional media organizations do it. Even the former player types spend hours and days doing practice games. Whoever scheduled/hired her for the game should be terminated. And unless she was informed of the game around 2 pm today (she wasn't) she failed horribly by not doing her job before the game started.

He did have a couple of interesting points in all the chatter:
  • noted the good route running of SU receivers and how they adjusted speed to help Shrader (did not credit the SU receivers coach, though)
  • noted the good tackling technique of the SU DBs
  • had a funny line when Shrader made that bad pass into the end zone "Sorry about that throw. The old Shrader made that pass. The new Shrader doesn't throw that way anymore."

So, I wasn’t a journalism/mass comm guy, I realize how difficult the job can be. Today, though, made me appreciate the professionalism we all to often take for granted. Things like seemingly instant recall of players by roster number. Or, say, a familiarity with each teams starting lineup and any such obvious deviation from such as the game progresses that may allude to strategic or just injury developments. Tonight was a clear example of the PBP being too deferential (in her defense, Fauria is obviously very boisterous). Also, she may want to invest in readers/bifocals to more quickly read roster numbers on the fly. Wow did I cringe on “Uhhhh, Adams” on D’Marcus’s touchdown as it was obvious she was trying to figure out who 85 was…

Last edited:
When Carlos Del Rio Wilson came in - at an obvious point where the second team gets reps - she was completely surprised. Announced him being in the game after the first play or two. After checking his number.

I don’t even pay much attention to the pbp typically but last night it sounded like it was pbp by committee. No one led.

Thank god this thread existed. I didn’t watch the game live but knew we were up big at the half. Watched the second half late night with headphones on to listen attentively to the commentary . HUUUUUUGE mistake. This was AWFUL. Perhaps the worst since that one hoops game at BC when they called cooney about 5 different names

She NAILED it on the Peña defensive TD though
Absolutely nailed it

Fauria was laughable too. We ran a Naked Boot in the 1st half. Well designed, GS took it 12 or 15 yards. Slick little call. Play fake followed by GS rolling to the wide side where he had a lot of room to work.

Fauria called it a busted play 3 or 4 times, even watching it on the Replay he just kept belaboring that take. Had no idea what he’d just seen. I was completely befuddled that an NFL TE really couldn’t recognize literally one of the oldest plays in football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom