This is going to be a loooooong year | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

This is going to be a loooooong year

What does everyone see in this guy? He's on the floor for 30 minutes and has a hard time scoring 10 points. He's not a scorer. He's a jack of all trades role player not a leading man.

Sort of agree...we were down 22-20 when G drives the lane and misses the uncontested slam...that would've tied it at 22. Very shortly thereafter, we're down 34-20...game over!

What does everyone see in this guy? He's on the floor for 30 minutes and has a hard time scoring 10 points. He's not a scorer. He's a jack of all trades role player not a leading man.

He's a tweener who isn't a particularly good ball handler, shooter or passer. Nice rotation guy, but nothing more, imo

Have you seen the other guys? At least he looks like he belongs - and I agree that forcing him shots is a path to nowhere.

Have you seen the other guys? At least he looks like he belongs - and I agree that forcing him shots is a path to nowhere.
If Joseph can figure out a way to figure out a way to get in the lane, we could be a different team.

If Joseph can figure out a way to figure out a way to get in the lane, we could be a different team.

He has a case of the freshmen jitters. Hopefully they will not last the whole season.

I'm glad its going to be a loooooooooooooooong year. We need it to improve and gel as a team.

No doubt there is much to improve on this team, at this point not sure what their ceiling is. Tonight they looked very poor, biggest problem is simply putting the ball in the basket. They had plenty of decent shot opportunities but could not make their shots, and I am not even talking about three balls.
They will not be as bad as they looked tonight, but it will be an interesting and less fruitful year than we have become accustomed to.

No doubt there is much to improve on this team, at this point not sure what their ceiling is. Tonight they looked very poor, biggest problem is simply putting the ball in the basket. They had plenty of decent shot opportunities but could not make their shots, and I am not even talking about three balls.
They will not be as bad as they looked tonight, but it will be an interesting and less fruitful year than we have become accustomed to.
Wish jb would start doing shootarounds

Time to seriously rethink cooney out there. Looked totally unprepared tonight.
Yes cause option 2 and 3 looked better? BJ was not ready and it showed. Was by far the worst of the 3. Buss didn't show anything either. Took A nba three that wasn't close, then threw a pass to a guy a foot away for a turnover and then instead of driving the hoop for a possible lay up passed to a forward in the corner who turned it over.

What do people really expect from cooney? A go to player? If that's what everyone expected then you all were nuts from the start. Personally, I adidn't mind cooney tonight, he put the ball on the floor a few times and got to the basket. He took some tough threes and didn't hit them, but would it hurt for someone to penetrate and draw his man to kick it to him for a three where he can get his feet set. No one on this team offensively looks good. Rushed through every decision and didn't look comfortable. Tomorrow is a new day and hopefully they look more comfortable out there.

Wish jb would start doing shootarounds
How exactly is that going to help? I'm sure they went over the scouting report in practice. It's not like a shoot around is going to miraculously make them play better. They had time to warm up before the gem and get shots up.

Yes cause option 2 and 3 looked better? BJ was not ready and it showed. Was by far the worst of the 3. Buss didn't show anything either. Took A nba three that wasn't close, then threw a pass to a guy a foot away for a turnover and then instead of driving the hoop for a possible lay up passed to a forward in the corner who turned it over.

What do people really expect from cooney? A go to player? If that's what everyone expected then you all were nuts from the start. Personally, I adidn't mind cooney tonight, he put the ball on the floor a few times and got to the basket. He took some tough threes and didn't hit them, but would it hurt for someone to penetrate and draw his man to kick it to him for a three where he can get his feet set. No one on this team offensively looks good. Rushed through every decision and didn't look comfortable. Tomorrow is a new day and hopefully they look more comfortable out there.
Bj? I'd rather see mike g. See what cooney can do from the bench. Patterson at least gets into space.

How exactly is that going to help? I'm sure they went over the scouting report in practice. It's not like a shoot around is going to miraculously make them play better. They had time to warm up before the gem and get shots up.
I don't know. I just thought shootarounds always got the blood flowing a bit more. Layup lines and jump shots...eh.

I don't know. I just thought shootarounds always got the blood flowing a bit more. Layup lines and jump shots...eh.
I worked at a university and would see the teams come in 6 hours before the game and go over the scouting report, half speed run through their offense and sets and then do a few drills and leave within the hour. I would always think it was such a waste to get the athletes on a bus for an hour and then drive back to the hotel. I guess I'm not a fan of shoots rounds.

I'm eagerly looking forward to seeing if Cooney can break a rim at the Dome this year.

LOOOOOOL. the funny thing is, it wont be on a three, it will be on one of his contested reverse layups over three 6'9" and taller dudes.

How about finding a way to get him a look?

Get open. Make a shot. He's not being asked to create his own shot or absorb much in the way of ball handling responsibilities. He is allowed to free wheel about the perimeter weaving in and out of traffic, pic after pic..and yet he still cant get open. Hasnt been able to get open for a long time now. At some point its a him problem and not an everyone else problem.

So it's okay to criticize a freshman playing his 3rd career game for playing poorly but criticizing a 4th year Junior who is one of the experienced players on the team for playing poorly is scapegoating the kid?
The team as a whole stunk but I think the grading curve for a 4th yr Jr should be higher than for a 3 game Fr point guard.

Without proper floor spacing or any midrange game it wouldn't matter if the two spot tonight for the cuse was Ray allen

I worked at a university and would see the teams come in 6 hours before the game and go over the scouting report, half speed run through their offense and sets and then do a few drills and leave within the hour. I would always think it was such a waste to get the athletes on a bus for an hour and then drive back to the hotel. I guess I'm not a fan of shoots rounds.
Kind of like a thud football practice. I just can't see how an extra "this is what we're gonna do" would hurt.

Bj? I'd rather see mike g. See what cooney can do from the bench. Patterson at least gets into space.
I really didn't like anything Patterson did tonight offensively. I didn't really see him get into space. Do you really want to start you two ball handlers? The good think about mike g off the bench is he can sub as a guard or forward. His role as a 6th man is a good one, but I'm sure he will be in a lot earlier tomorrow.

Christ, you guys. I am not on any ledge. After Sunday I said on the Waters chat, we aren't good. I hope I am wrong but I doubt it.

As far as I know, those chat transcript files were sealed like JFK's autopsy results. I'm not sure we can enter anything supposedly said in the Waters' chat as evidence unless they change their mind and decide to release the transcript.

Get open. Make a shot. He's not being asked to create his own shot or absorb much in the way of ball handling responsibilities. He is allowed to free wheel about the perimeter weaving in and out of traffic, pic after pic..and yet he still cant get open. Hasnt been able to get open for a long time now. At some point its a him problem and not an everyone else problem.
It wouldn't hurt if someone else would make a jump shot to soften up the defense. Cooney works hard setting up screens and coming off them and usually when he catches the big guy helps on d so he can't get that initial look. Teams do key on him as syracuse's only shooter and he doesn't get that many looks with both feet set. I understand he hasn't been good, but I still don't see buss without the same attention doing much to take his spot.

It wouldn't hurt if someone else would make a jump shot to soften up the defense. Cooney works hard setting up screens and coming off them and usually when he catches the big guy helps on d so he can't get that initial look. Teams do key on him as syracuse's only shooter and he doesn't get that many looks with both feet set. I understand he hasn't been good, but I still don't see buss without the same attention doing much to take his spot.

Then he needed to develop a dribble, stop and pop game.

I've seen literally no new tricks in his arsenal in any of the games this year.

He's had 4 years to develop his game and I'm not seeing any improvement whatsoever.

I think Cooney would be an amazing role player with the right surrounding cast. This isn't the cast. JB needs to give other players as much rope as he gives Cooney.

(...and so it's not suggested this is piling on Cooney. Take Cooney's name out and put in Christmas as well. I'm just ready to mix up the minutes a tad. We've seen guys like DNic, Hak, Scoop, among others...you see them come back after the summer and they look like different guys. You watch these guys and these two vets haven't appeared to change a lick for 2 years now.)

Cusefannotindc said:
Human sacrifice! Dogs and cats, living together! Mass hysteria!
This is just a sigh and a shrug. We've had years like it before, it doesn't last forever

Can't win without three pointers. Every basket feels like such hard work because of it

6a00d8341c652b53ef017616adb883970c-800wi

Without proper floor spacing or any midrange game it wouldn't matter if the two spot tonight for the cuse was Ray allen
If the SG were Ray Allen he could have put the ball on the floor and driven to the hole and got to the FT.
Cooney is so easy to defend and gets 35 mpg without question from JB. Cut his minutes down as he is not helping the offense. Kaleb Joseph is expected to have games where he struggles he is a freshman PG, our 4th year junior is suppose to be way more polished offensively, but all you have to do is get in his grill and not let him catch and shoot and he will be shutdown or take an off balanced shot which he misses at a high percentage.
Cooney's defense is not elite it's decent and not bad, but the annoying thing is seeing Mike Gbinije NOT getting as many minutes as him and not having the same patience from JB.
Honestly it is not right how Cooney is immune from legit criticism I want the kid to succeed as he is a legit D-1 player but either his role has to change or we are screwed.
If we had TC 2013-2014 in 2012-13 with MCW and Triche then its perfect. As a lead SG he has stunk since after the ND game last February.
Give Mike G 30 minutes and TC 20-25 minutes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom