This one's on the staff | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

This one's on the staff

This one is on trueblue, tbone and francopizza. There negativity has infected the team and the coaching staff. That's just the way I see it. Also we should play m-2-m and make coaching adjustments, good ones, like scoring more and letting other teams score less. That would be good. Why won't Boeheim do that?

Could've adjusted to man to man, it's not the end of the world. Us jacking up 3s and other garbage shots? We have 0 offensive flow. 0. These kids haven't been playing together for a year yet, it'd help if we had some semblance of an offensive philosophy besides figure it out.
Dude. As much as i hate zone, our m2m is an atrocity. You've seen how bad it was even against the cupcakes we demolished. It's sad (and bizarre) that we can't play m2m, but that's who we are now. Switching to man in this game would have been an early concession and an experiment, and we likely would have lost by 30.

I do agree with the first half of your original post. Two games in a row. By non-HOFers, too. Imagine that.

Our defense right now is down right terrible. The rotations are slow (if at all) and when we trap, we the offside guard isn't getting down into the passing lane to take away the escape pass. I can't count the number of times our center was slow to rotate, leaving a layup.

JB has a lot to work on. The good news is we have time to get it done. My expectation is that we'll get better as the ACC season progresses. I'm not yet ready to call this a bubble team, but our future rests on our ability to play the zone properly.

Our offense, while slightly less terrible than the defense, isn't our major problem (IMHO).

Trueblue25 said:
JB was out-coached and made no noticeable 2nd half adjustments. Thankful Battle saw some time in the 2nd.

Ha. That didn't take long. Take a deep breath, the team will be fine. That's two extremely bad match ups early in the season for a team replacing so much. Give them some time to gel.

This team is one of the most stacked teams when it comes to individual talent. We are though on both ends though, a flat out terrible TEAM. They need to do some team building ropes course, trust falls, pillow fights, anything!! to learn to play nicely together!

Also, it seems that these kids need a longer leash as well. I know JB's m.o. is to pull guys quickly, but some of these kids (Howard, Battle, and Gillon specifically), need to play with some confidence! They're all too tight. Need to let them get some confidence. Coach(yell to them from the sideline.) You don't need to pull them, yell at them and then sit them in timeout. Correct them and then give them a chance to correct it. They make the same exact mistake again, then by all means pull them.

This one is on trueblue, tbone and francopizza. There negativity has infected the team and the coaching staff. That's just the way I see it. Also we should play m-2-m and make coaching adjustments, good ones, like scoring more and letting other teams score less. That would be good. Why won't Boeheim do that?

Im the least negative person on this board. Just not a diehard boeheim guy like many.

Our defense right now is down right terrible. The rotations are slow (if at all) and when we trap, we the offside guard isn't getting down into the passing lane to take away the escape pass. I can't count the number of times our center was slow to rotate, leaving a layup.

JB has a lot to work on. The good news is we have time to get it done. My expectation is that we'll get better as the ACC season progresses. I'm not yet ready to call this a bubble team, but our future rests on our ability to play the zone properly.

Our offense, while slightly less terrible than the defense, isn't our major problem (IMHO).

Great point about our traps. How many did Haap just dribble out of last night? No way a center should be allowed to do that!

I never said they sucked. I agree, we have a team thats played 5 games together. The zone's a system that takes months to click with this many new guys. Was just offering the notion that adjusting to man to man (though I get it JB would never) could have helped make this game much more competitive. Thankfully this is just an early game in November to learn from.

What did you do? Sober up?

Now you are on the right track. Right now this team just isn't very good.

If you agree that you are never going to see M2M. than why bother offering it up as some sort of solution?

The fact we will never switch to a M2M is ridiculous.

The whole SU system is set up around the Zone.

We recruit to it.

It's the only defense we practice except while emulating opposing defenses.

Its the only defense we play although it has many different versions in games.

What's ridiculous is suggesting that on the basis of a couple of bad performances we scrap the system and go to something else to satisfy some frustrated fans at home screaming "Try something different! Anything! Just so its different because the Zone is not working!"

We recruit to it.

What's ridiculous is suggesting that on the basis of a couple of bad performances we scrap the system and go to something else to satisfy some frustrated fans at home screaming "Try something different! Anything! Just so its different because the Zone is not working!"

You are easily in the running for the strangest poster on this board.

South Carolina and Wisconsin schooled us on how to beat the zone.

But beyond that, our offense isn't very good. No chemistry. No ball movement. Too much -- as usual -- iso play. No inside game.

Other than that, we're good. Ha!!
agree. Defense is bad at the moment, but fine as a philosophy. It works very well when the players execute, which they haven't. Offense on the other end, is bad. Fraschilla said many times last night JB likes to keep it simple for the benefit of the players, so they stay loose. While that seems to make sense, it has hurt us at times, when we need to break through, and our guys aren't beating their men by shear athleticism and will. Ironic that like football, perhaps the way to go in college hoops these days is progressively offensive as opposed to defensive. The Pitt coach has made great strides there, and is known as an offensive guy. I watched them play against Maryland and they look very different then they used too.

We recruit to it.

Have you figured out some winter hobbies to fill your time once JB retires?

This team is one of the most stacked teams when it comes to individual talent. We are though on both ends though, a flat out terrible TEAM. They need to do some team building ropes course, trust falls, pillow fights, anything!! to learn to play nicely together!

The whole team needs a Rocky montage, pronto.

Have you figured out some winter hobbies to fill your time once JB retires?
As I said earlier,

If you aren't a JB fan and a fan of the style of play, than what makes you fan?

Did you get a good deal on an SU t-shirt at Sports Authority?

This loss is on everyone.

I am bothered by the body language and effort...and the players own that. Play defense and rebound with more effort and passion and we will stay in these games.

And some of the body language the last two games is problematic...we need an emotional leader to emerge. How the team reacts to adversity will ultimately have a great say on what this team is able to accomplish.

This loss is on everyone.

I am bothered by the body language and effort...and the players own that. Play defense and rebound with more effort and passion and we will stay in these games.

And some of the body language the last two games is problematic...we need an emotional leader to emerge. How the team reacts to adversity will ultimately have a great say on what this team is able to accomplish.

Interesting point, and I'm glad you are spreading this around. Caught a glimpse of GMac on the bench looking more than a little downtrodden last night as well. Anyone else catch that? Seemed like he was considering life choices at that moment. And that's complete speculation.

lol we played a team with 5 starters back on their home floor, a floor they almost never lose on, and it's on the coach not making adjustments. lol okay fine.
and 5 of the 9 have not only never played zone before, but they have never played with the other 4 either.

its tough to watch because battle is not as good as he was talked up to be, Thompson is clearly in over his head, chukwu is clueless and we are not used to having short guys at the top of the zone.

this team will lose less games than last year.

mainly because hop is not going to give us 5 losses, including 1 to that HS team called st johns.

and 5 of the 9 have not only never played zone before, but they have never played with the other 4 either.

its tough to watch because battle is not as good as he was talked up to be, Thompson is clearly in over his head, chukwu is clueless and we are not used to having short guys at the top of the zone.

this team will lose less games than last year.

mainly because hop is not going to give us 5 losses, including 1 to that HS team called st johns.

Nothing else needs to be said.

Has that young man every played basketball before?

Nothing else needs to be said.

Has that young man every played basketball before?

What exactly have they been doing with him the last year? It's astounding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom