Tired? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Tired?

This is the most ridiculous argument I've seen made here ever. Seriously? Because the point guard walks the ball up that means all 9 other players are walking as well? You really have been outside the country for awhile because you have completely forgotten how college basketball works. this isn't 10 over 40 guys at the Y.

Guys jump on every shot taken. Not all of them, but some of them, and they usually are hitting each other in the process. Is there a corner kick every time the ball is taken from one end of the field to the other (if that ever actually happens)? No.

Ten guys over 40 playing basketball at the Y is the definition of fatigue.

When the PG is walking the ball up court, what are the other players doing?

10 pounds less than Cooney, and while he's in good shape, he isn't exactly a bruiser.

There's a lot of contact in soccer, and sliding and tackling of the ball. Basketball is more about leaning on one another.

Ten guys over 40 playing basketball at the Y is the definition of fatigue.

When the PG is walking the ball up court, what are the other players doing?

Well, if you play on SU and are getting back on D, you are typically sprinting, because if you don't the ball goes by you and you give up a score (they don't have the silly offsides rule after all) and then you get to sit down.

If you play on SU and you are going down the court on offense, and if you are Tyler Roberson, you are sprinting (that's right - all 6'8" and 212 pounds of him - EVERY TIME) trying to get out in front for the easy bucket. That's the game I see.

The truly insane part about comparing soccer players to basketball players is that if you took the best from each sport and put them in the other sport they all would die.

Well, if you play on SU and are getting back on D, you are typically sprinting, because if you don't the ball goes by you and you give up a score (they don't have the silly offsides rule after all) and then you get to sit down.

If you play on SU and you are going down the court on offense, and if you are Tyler Roberson, you are sprinting (that's right - all 6'8" and 212 pounds of him - EVERY TIME) trying to get out in front for the easy bucket. That's the game I see.

You are over-stating the amount of movement in basketball and understating the amount in soccer. But that's OK.

In my mind they are both highly active sports. Not much of a difference.

Basketball is played for 40 minutes over a 2 hr period. Soccer is played for 96 minutes over a 2 hr period.

Huge difference.

Townie72 said:
You are over-stating the amount of movement in basketball and understating the amount in soccer. But that's OK. In my mind they are both highly active sports. Not much of a difference. Basketball is played for 40 minutes over a 2 hr period. Soccer is played for 96 minutes over a 2 hr period. Huge difference.
If basketball were 90 minutes no one would be alive at the end.

I admit I don't watch a lot of soccer, but don't strikers/defenders stay on their respective side of the field?

I admit I don't watch a lot of soccer, but don't strikers/defenders stay on their respective side of the field?

Exactly. If everyone came down the court/field like they do in hoops, then maybe we would have a comparison here.

I can jog 7 miles in 90 minutes so easily I wouldn't break a sweat and I haven't run consistently in a few years. But my full court 22 minute running clock halves in my men's league leave me completely worn out, because of the sprinting and constant arm usage for position inside and out.

Last edited:
Townie72 said:
The point was made (attempted to be made) that because of the different body characteristics of basketball players, that running, jumping, etc was much harder for them to do. And therefore, it was more difficult for them to do the same amount of work. I don't buy that. Their body types are more similar than different. I can't think of a better meqsurement than BMI. Can you? (MD or Phd?)

How can you not buy it when people who have done both say basketball is more taxing?

The truly insane part about comparing soccer players to basketball players is that if you took the best from each sport and put them in the other sport they all would die.

You are probably right.

What happens when you put them in a ne
If basketball were 90 minutes no one would be alive at the end.

6 OTs vs. UConn for 70 mins total. At the end of the 5th OT, Devo jumped on the scorer's table to celebrate what he thought was the winning basket.

You are thinking about lacrosse where they have to keep at least three players in the defensive zone at all times.

Do yourself a favor. Watch some of these UEFA games. We are heading into the shank of that season.

Once Peter Crouch was mentioned, this thread should have been locked.

Hard to compare him to Messi as an athlete though. He is more of a direct "target" forward. Brilliant on set pieces. I don't watch a lot of Stoke games but he seems to come off the bench more than he starts. Not sure he has legs to go 90+.

What were we talking about again?

You are probably right.

What happens when you put them in a ne

6 OTs vs. UConn for 70 mins total. At the end of the 5th OT, Devo jumped on the scorer's table to celebrate what he thought was the winning basket.

Pretty sure that Devo hit that shot at the end of regulation. But carry on...

Let's see if we can review the bidding here.

I started off by saying that I didn't think those that were saying that SU player fatigue as a reason for poor performance didn't really have anything to support that claim. I thought it was just an extension of their constant whining about JB's short bench and their other complaints (Stubborness, 100% zone, etc)

I sought to support that by comparing college basketball it to pro basketball and other similar athletic activities to see that could provide any kind of guide.

What we have heard is that there is no possible comparison. College basketball and basketball of any sort is a world unto itself when it comes to exertion and effort. And those SU players are tired, because we say they are tired. (Ignoring Boeheim's and K's statements to the contrary.)

Soccer can't be used as a guide we are told because of body types and the exact patterns of physical exertion. So there is no possible comparison.

So because there is no possible comparison, no one can prove they aren't fatigued and that Jimmy B. hasn't mis-managed yet another SU team. That's about the point, right?

Let's see if we can review the bidding here.

I started off by saying that I didn't think those that were saying that SU player fatigue as a reason for poor performance didn't really have anything to support that claim. I thought it was just an extension of their constant whining about JB's short bench and their other complaints (Stubborness, 100% zone, etc)

I sought to support that by comparing college basketball it to pro basketball and other similar athletic activities to see that could provide any kind of guide.

What we have heard is that there is no possible comparison. College basketball and basketball of any sort is a world unto itself when it comes to exertion and effort. And those SU players are tired, because we say they are tired. (Ignoring Boeheim's and K's statements to the contrary.)

Soccer can't be used as a guide we are told because of body types and the exact patterns of physical exertion. So there is no possible comparison.

So because there is no possible comparison, no one can prove they aren't fatigued and that Jimmy B. hasn't mis-managed yet another SU team. That's about the point, right?
I think that we should put you at the top of the zone as you never seem to tire:)

Exactly. If everyone came down the court/field like they do in hoops, then maybe we would have a comparison here.

I can jog 7 miles in 90 minutes so easily I wouldn't break a sweat and I haven't run consistently in a few years. But my full court 22 minute running clock halves in my men's league leave me completely worn out, because of the sprinting and constant arm usage for position inside and out.

And that's why basketball and top level soccer are very similar. Players are in almost constant motion with lots of sprinting, jumping, body contact, and in soccer, tackling of the ball.

I get the sense that some of you guys have never watched an EPL or other game.

Forget getting along.

I didn't go to SU so I could avoid arguments.

Premiere League football players Steven Gerrard (34), Frank Lampard (36) and John Terry (34) are running 7 miles a game, two and three times a week in 90+ minute games and TC and G can’t run 2 miles a game twice a week without being so tired they can’t make lay-ups.

And this sounds reasonable?

NHL players do a 8 minutes shift and they die (except Alexie Kovalev!!!!!).

Different sports are different. Comparing them in this regard is worthless.

NHL players do a 8 minutes shift and they die (except Alexie Kovalev!!!!!). They can skate all day though at practice.

8 minute shifts in hockey? More like 2 minute shifts.

Totally agree with the bolded part, though.

8 minute shifts in hockey? More like 2 minute shifts.

Totally agree with the bolded part, though.

I know - I just love referencing Alexie Kovalev's 8 minute shift. The greatest thing to happen in NHL history (if you read the back story, etc...)!

NHL players do a 8 minutes shift and they die (except Alexie Kovalev!!!!!).

So the physical exertion required in these different sports cannot be compared?

Comparisons cannot be made even by the brightest among us?

Anyone watching that game will understand that Mike G is tired. Cooney is tired (probably what caused his back problem). Rak is tired. Ah, he's probably more frustrated than tired. Roberson is tired.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom