UConn and the Big 12 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

UConn and the Big 12

They seem to think they're the top choice. Though some of the wackier ones are buying the WVU notion that Colorado, and the Arizona schools want to leave the PAC, so that could put a pause on things.

I laugh at them...but we could easily be them. It's funny and sobering at the same time.
That is beyond laughable that the Arizona schools want out...Haha

Jake said:
Here's the thing...I think no matter what, the ACC would take them as #16 if paired with ND. If ND ever comes to the ACC it will not be from a position of power dictating who comes with them.

Certainly could happen. But (1) I'll believe ND joins for football when I see it, and (2) the ACC had two chances to add UConn in the past 5 years, and was outright encouraged to do so once, and passed each time.

So we'll see.

What was UConn doing for football these past centuries? Flagship state public school too cheap to step it up until the 11th hour... No one to blame but themselves for the flotsam they currently find themselves on...

Here's the thing...I think no matter what, the ACC would take them as #16 if paired with ND.

If ND ever comes to the ACC it will not be from a position of power dictating who comes with them.

The ACC would settle for UConn but would they be THE choice? I don't think they would. Too many schools would be against them. Who really would be in their corner? SU certainly shouldn't be. The football schools shouldn't be. Would UNC and Duke want a another threat to their BBall crown? The Southern schools shouldn't be. And BC is against them. So who does that leave?

IMO West Virginia (if available) or Cincinnati (if available) would be well ahead. Temple should be as well. Heck you can even argue that UCF is far enough away from FSU and Miami, making them a better choice.

Also we have no idea what the conference title game rules will be when ND finally joins. If the ACC, B1G, P12, SEC all end up at 3 divisions of 5 teams then there is no need for a 16th, which for some reason people assume will happen but seems more internet folklore.

They seem to think they're the top choice. Though some of the wackier ones are buying the WVU notion that Colorado, and the Arizona schools want to leave the PAC, so that could put a pause on things.

I laugh at them...but we could easily be them. It's funny and sobering at the same time.

Nah, we were never going to be them. Remember, if it wasn't for Virginia politics, we would have been in the ACC a lot sooner. We were destined to get in eventually.

The ACC would settle for UConn but would they be THE choice? I don't think they would. Too many schools would be against them. Who really would be in their corner? SU certainly shouldn't be. The football schools shouldn't be. Would UNC and Duke want a another threat to their BBall crown? The Southern schools shouldn't be. And BC is against them. So who does that leave?

IMO West Virginia (if available) or Cincinnati (if available) would be well ahead. Temple should be as well. Heck you can even argue that UCF is far enough away from FSU and Miami, making them a better choice.

Also we have no idea what the conference title game rules will be when ND finally joins. If the ACC, B1G, P12, SEC all end up at 3 divisions of 5 teams then there is no need for a 16th, which for some reason people assume will happen but seems more internet folklore.

I think West Virginia would do whatever it takes to make be available for the ACC. $ buys your way out of anything.

Nah, we were never going to be them. Remember, if it wasn't for Virginia politics, we would have been in the ACC a lot sooner. We were destined to get in eventually.

I'd heard from some higher up friends that it was always an inevitability and they kept the relationships knowing that.

UConn went a different route. They're getting exactly what they deserve.

SU2NASA said:
I'd heard from some higher up friends that it was always an inevitability and they kept the relationships knowing that.

UConn went a different route. They're getting exactly what they deserve.

Yep, they were petty and burned bridges and now they sit and cry and wonder why nobody wants them.

Yep, they were petty and burned bridges and now they sit and cry and wonder why nobody wants them.

There may be others that have heard different, but from someone in the room when the ACC offered (and showed me a pic they snapped in the conference room at the LA Coliseum when Swofford officially offered), they'd said "we'd see people from the ACC at academic events all the time. We knew conference expansion was going to come back so we maintained the relationships."

I'd also heard that the first offer was going to be SU and UConn but, led by BC, there was little support for bringing in UConn, so SU was asked who they wanted to come with, and that's what led to Pitt.

SU2NASA said:
There may be others that have heard different, but from someone in the room when the ACC offered (and showed me a pic they snapped in the conference room at the LA Coliseum when Swofford officially offered), they'd said "we'd see people from the ACC at academic events all the time. We knew conference expansion was going to come back so we maintained the relationships."

I'd also heard that the first offer was going to be SU and UConn but, led by BC, there was little support for bringing in UConn, so SU was asked who they wanted to come with, and that's what led to Pitt.

You're welcome Pitt.

We often forget that the ACC considered SU to join when FSU joined (you know, back when SU was a power team). Missed opportunity. Jake was loyal to the beast he helped create, though he maintained good relations.

SU2NASA said:
There may be others that have heard different, but from someone in the room when the ACC offered (and showed me a pic they snapped in the conference room at the LA Coliseum when Swofford officially offered), they'd said "we'd see people from the ACC at academic events all the time. We knew conference expansion was going to come back so we maintained the relationships." I'd also heard that the first offer was going to be SU and UConn but, led by BC, there was little support for bringing in UConn, so SU was asked who they wanted to come with, and that's what led to Pitt.

SU and UConn was suggested but the ACC preferred Pitt. The BC opposition is a bit urban legend. There was no way that BC alone could sway the rest of the conference.

Here's an interesting thought exercise... the Big 12 had a choice between Louisville and West Virginia and short-sightedly chose the latter. If they hadn't and picked Louisville then when Maryland left the ACC the choice would've been between WVU and UConn. I think that would've been a tougher choice for the conference.

The playoffs will expand to eight well before ND ever considers joining a conference. So Uconn will have to hope the Big XII comes calling...assuming the B1G doesn't ask fir-hahahahahahahahahahaha

SU and UConn was suggested but the ACC preferred Pitt. The BC opposition is a bit urban legend. There was no way that BC alone could sway the rest of the conference.

Here's an interesting thought exercise... the Big 12 had a choice between Louisville and West Virginia and short-sightedly chose the latter. If they hadn't and picked Louisville then when Maryland left the ACC the choice would've been between WVU and UConn. I think that would've been a tougher choice for the conference.
Re: the tough choice--

Timing may have had a lot to do with it. If it happened at a time when there was real concern about FSU (and Clemson) jumping ship, WVa may have been the choice, as they have a far stronger football program, and would have presumably been the preference of the football powerhouses.

And supposedly when asked whether SU preferred Louisville or UConn - well you can see who made it.

th

B1G adds OK, Ok St, Kansas & Buffalo

B12 goes to B16 with BYU, Colo St. Cincy, Houston, Memphis, UCF, USF, and Tulane

WhoConn to the SunBelt

UConn better watch out because there were tweets posted on the Ga Tech Business of Sport thread from the TX Governor, LT Governor, and UT's president putting Houston forward as #11. It may have been a ploy on the UT president's part to kill expansion talk. It's on this page and the next.

UConn better watch out because there were tweets posted on the Ga Tech Business of Sport thread from the TX Governor, LT Governor, and UT's president putting Houston forward as #11. It may have been a ploy on the UT president's part to kill expansion talk. It's on this page and the next.

No ploy and not sure why UT would use it as a ploy. As I've said numerous times, the fans are the ones that have overblown this talk that UT would veto Houston only because of recruiting in Houston. UH is already getting recruits on par with UT from Houston. Adding them or not won't change that. And while UT may rule to roost television wise in the Houston market, UH has a large following. It's one of the larger schools in the country (around 42K), so it has plenty of alumni.

Houston, BYU, Memphis, Colorado State make the most sense from a package standpoint

Houston, BYU, Memphis, Colorado State make the most sense from a package standpoint

I think you are 3/4 correct. I's substitute Cincy as a preferred "travel partner" of WVU. CSU is being too easily dismissed by some, as I think the Big Whatever wants back into Colorado and CSU also helps to some degree "bridge" the distance to Utah. Some UCONN fans seem to think they are a lock if the B12 goes with 4 teams but I fear (perhaps too strong a word) they are doomed to be sorely disappointed.

No ploy and not sure why UT would use it as a ploy. As I've said numerous times, the fans are the ones that have overblown this talk that UT would veto Houston only because of recruiting in Houston. UH is already getting recruits on par with UT from Houston. Adding them or not won't change that. And while UT may rule to roost television wise in the Houston market, UH has a large following. It's one of the larger schools in the country (around 42K), so it has plenty of alumni.
UT-Austin wants to build a 300 acre Houston satelitte campus...Houston said they will not fight it if they get in the B12. CPA...you know Texas Politics...

I bet the B12 can't resist the draw of Florida...mark me down for USF/UCF and Cinci and Houston. After the B12 falls apart next decade...the jilted can backfill with BYU/CSU/NM/Tulane...etc...

I linked this 4 month old NY Times story about UConn's situation at the end of the Rutgers thread for reasons that can be read there. They point out that the NCAA lost control of CFB and the conferences started to fracture after the 1984 Supreme Court ruling which returned CFB television rights to the universities. "To enhance its football appeal, the Big Ten grabbed the perennial football power Penn State in 1990. That same year, Notre Dame betrayed an association of football programs it had helped found, signing a deal with NBC for $38 million over four years. After creating the first conference championship game, the SEC signed a five-year, $85 million contract with CBS in 1994." It was interesting to read and noted the Supreme Court decision came 5 years after the Big East basketball conference started, ultimately destroying the conference in its original form. (Personally I hope UConn gets into a power 5 conference but it may be dicey.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/14/sports/basketball/football-drags-on-uconns-power-5-ambitions.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom