UNC Academic Fraud Details | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

UNC Academic Fraud Details

Scrambling huh?

I'll repost what I did earlier for your pleasure.

"Wainstein, however, also found that academic advisers who worked closely with the athletic department regularly steered athletes to these classes for the specific purpose of raising their grades, going so far on some occasions as to advise Crowder what grades were needed to maintain eligibility."

"Wainsteins report makes clear that the motivation was largely rooted in a desire to help athletes."

Not scrambling at all. Care to post what Wainstein said about McCants?

And if you really believe that steering athletes towards easy A classes is unique or confined to UNC, I have a great bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. Where's the outrage when Duke does it? Or Stanford? Or Michigan? Or Auburn? Or Syracuse?

itsbotime said:
Not scrambling at all. Care to post what Wainstein said about McCants? And if you really believe that steering athletes towards easy A classes is unique or confined to UNC, I have a great bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. Where's the outrage when Duke does it? Or Stanford? Or Michigan? Or Auburn? Or Syracuse?

Don't try to rationalize it.

A lot of schools cheat.

The key is to not get caught.

Carolina was caught.

Don't try to rationalize it.

A lot of schools cheat.

The key is to not get caught.

Carolina was caught.

All of the schools that I listed were caught. Carolina is the only one facing such widespread criticism. It is all about the narrative and what you want to believe.

itsbotime said:
All of the schools that I listed were caught. Carolina is the only one facing such widespread criticism. It is all about the narrative and what you want to believe.

Who else was caught?

Who else was caught?

Stanford (caught steering athletes towards easy A classes), Duke (caught steering basketball players towards no-show courses within the sociology program), Michigan (caught steering athletes towards no-show courses taught predominately by one professor), Syracuse (caught doing something shady academically, according to ESPN this evening).

If you actually read the Wainstein report, it says that there is nothing to support any of the claims made by McCants. But, I suppose he is still waiting on his check for $300 million from the NCAA regardless.

Or already cashed the $10 million from UNC that had a non-disclose clause. :oops:

itsbotime said:
Stanford (caught steering athletes towards easy A classes), Duke (caught steering basketball players towards no-show courses within the sociology program), Michigan (caught steering athletes towards no-show courses taught predominately by one professor), Syracuse (caught doing something shady academically, according to ESPN this evening).

What happened to Duke and Michigan?

Don't recall any sanctions.

So, I guess, SU and Carolina shouldn't worry.

What happened to Duke and Michigan?

Don't recall any sanctions.

So, I guess, SU and Carolina shouldn't worry.

Duke and Michigan told the public and the NCAA to off. Carolina bent over, spread them wide, and said, come on in.

itsbotime, I'll make you a deal: if you just admit how badly UNC messed this up, UConn will be nice and let you stay in the 4 NC club.

itsbotime, I'll make you a deal: if you just admit how badly UNC messed this up, UConn will be nice and let you stay in the 4 NC club.

4? We have 5. 4 is for Dookies.

itsbotime said:

Maybe that's because it involved 1500 athletes over 18 years with fraudulent classes set up with the intent of keeping athletes eligible and there was little to no work.

Btw, go read everything McCants said and tell me one by one that he was wrong.

itsbotime said:
Hah!

You don't even read anything someone posts or links. I didn't even know UNC paid off McCants to not talk to Weinstein.

Maybe that's because it involved 1500 athletes over 18 years with fraudulent classes set up with the intent of keeping athletes eligible and there was little to no work.

Btw, go read everything McCants said and tell me one by one that he was wrong.

Where are the lies? From ESPN

Rashad McCants, the second-leading scorer on the North Carolina basketball team that won the 2004-05 national title, told ESPN's "Outside the Lines" that tutors wrote his term papers, he rarely went to class for about half his time at UNC, and he remained able to play largely because he took bogus classes designed to keep athletes academically eligible.

McCants told "Outside the Lines" that he could have been academically ineligible to play during the championship season had he not been provided the assistance. Further, he said head basketball coach Roy Williams knew about the "paper class" system at UNC. The so-called paper classes didn't require students to go to class; rather, students were required to submit only one term paper to receive a grade.

McCants also told "Outside the Lines" that he even made the dean's list in the spring of 2005 despite not attending any of his four classes for which he received straight-A grades. He said advisers and tutors who worked with the basketball program steered him to take the paper classes within the African-American Studies program.​

sdhusky said:
Where are the lies? From ESPN Rashad McCants, the second-leading scorer on the North Carolina basketball team that won the 2004-05 national title, told ESPN's "Outside the Lines" that tutors wrote his term papers, he rarely went to class for about half his time at UNC, and he remained able to play largely because he took bogus classes designed to keep athletes academically eligible. McCants told "Outside the Lines" that he could have been academically ineligible to play during the championship season had he not been provided the assistance. Further, he said head basketball coach Roy Williams knew about the "paper class" system at UNC. The so-called paper classes didn't require students to go to class; rather, students were required to submit only one term paper to receive a grade. McCants also told "Outside the Lines" that he even made the dean's list in the spring of 2005 despite not attending any of his four classes for which he received straight-A grades. He said advisers and tutors who worked with the basketball program steered him to take the paper classes within the African-American Studies program.

90% if what McCants says there was proven and in the report. But ipsofacto claims he lied.

itsbotime said:
Duke and Michigan told the public and the NCAA to off. Carolina bent over, spread them wide, and said, come on in.

Carolyn Cannon

From the Wainstein report: "We are left with no evidence to support those (McCants') allegations."

They bent UNC over and went through millions of documents, and couldn't find a single one that backed up anything McCants said. I told you all that McCants was a liar from the beginning (he complained to the media about being stuck in class all the time while at UNC, then said he never went to class years later; he was asked by three separate coaches in college and in the NBA to seek psychological help; he believes that he has a check for $300 million coming from the NCAA; he teamed up with Willingham, etc).

You don't even read anything someone posts or links. I didn't even know UNC paid off McCants to not talk to Weinstein.

UNC begged McCants to talk to Wainstein. McCants refused and told Wainstein that he did not have anything to say about the allegations. Then he went onto ESPN. Wainstein contacted him again, afterwards, and attempted to interview, but again, McCants declined. McCants wanted money to talk-he is broke.

NKR1978 said:
I can't be the only person who sees the irony in beating up on UNC when we're the other headline for possible major violations.

Yeah, in light of our situation, the Carolina stuff is secondary.

UNC begged McCants to talk to Wainstein. McCants refused and told Wainstein that he did not have anything to say about the allegations. Then he went onto ESPN. Wainstein contacted him again, afterwards, and attempted to interview, but again, McCants declined. McCants wanted money to talk-he is broke.
It seems you're suggesting that ESPN paid McCants.
What leads you to believe that?

ABC News has explicitly banned paying interviewees.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...cle-bans-paying-news-subjects-for-photos.html

Given that the guy behind the ban, Ben Sherwood, is now the # 2 guy at parent Disney, it's hard to believe that ESPN paying for an interview would be anything but a career-ending move.

In the interests of full disclosure, I worked for Ben Sherwood. In all the time I was at ABC doing investigative work, there's only one practice I ever engaged in that could even remotely be considered paying for an interview. On perhaps two or three occasions I flew key people to New York for interviews.

That was done as a matter of self-interest...holding down costs. It was simply cheaper to fly someone in and put him/her up at a hotel for a night or two than it was to fly a producer & correspondent to remote places, put them up for a night or two, pay for car rental and per diems AND hire a local freelance camera person. (The morning talk shows often fly in guests for live interviews.).

I suspect this may be one reason McCants chose to speak to ESPN:

"In the 90-minute "Outside the Lines" interview last month, McCants said he is planning to write a book about his basketball and collegiate experience."

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_...ll-star-rashad-mccants-says-took-sham-classes

I will politely refrain from wondering out loud who will write the book for McCants?

itsbotime said:
From the Wainstein report: "We are left with no evidence to support those (McCants') allegations." They bent UNC over and went through millions of documents, and couldn't find a single one that backed up anything McCants said. I told you all that McCants was a liar from the beginning (he complained to the media about being stuck in class all the time while at UNC, then said he never went to class years later; he was asked by three separate coaches in college and in the NBA to seek psychological help; he believes that he has a check for $300 million coming from the NCAA; he teamed up with Willingham, etc).

Which allegations specifically? All of them? No. No because his report specifically supports many of McCants statements. Almost word for word. You said 100% were false and that's a lie. Read the report. Read what McCants said. Paper classes. Check. No attendance. Check. Etc.

Then go find out who Crowders close friend was. It's out there. Then go check what Crowder sometimes did after a basketball loss. Go check her quotes why she set up the fake classes.