USC and UCLA to the Big Ten | Page 53 | Syracusefan.com

USC and UCLA to the Big Ten

Isn't there a billion dollars sitting there with respect to D1 hoops? Nature abhors a billion dollar vacuum. Not sure how that plays into the whole mess other than possibly encouraging 64 schools being at the big boy table.

So an article I read earlier today indicated that the ACC exit fee is 3x the ACC operating budget. The article from the Courier Journal (Louisville) indicated that would be ~$100 million. That is just the exit fee. Then you have the grant of rights. The article indicated Maryland sued the ACC for the exit fee only and the ACC agreed to 60 cents on the dollar. Again that is just the exit fee.
I would not expect the ACC to agree to a reduced figure less than 90 to 95 cents on the dollar given the potential of 5 to 6 brands could leave and would cripple the ACC. This is not a one off scenario. So that's $500 to $600 million to be split amongst ~9 teams. Now add either a projected GOR payout every year OR a huge payout onetime that is negotiated. That will be a seriously substantial payment.
So why on earth would those schools who will not get SEC/Big offers leave? If Syracuse doesn't get offered and the conference doesn't dissolve due to 10 teams being offered (no idea if that's a magic number), then they are still likely to get some big big bucks(hundreds of millions per team)as a settlement. For those thinking the GOR can be beaten legally you are partially correct, it can be settled legally at likely an obscene dollar value. Unless those teams stay for another 12 years.

Do you still feel this way? Seriously, where do you think SU ends up in the grand scheme of things? Appreciate your thoughts.

I still feel the same. It’ll be rocky on the way but in the very end we will be Ok. I think I went into detail in a couple other posts. I just don’t think 2x16 or 2x20 or 2x24 works in the end. TV, fans, even pols will want more and there will be further shuffling to make things a bit more regional. I think we’d be in anyways if it’s 48. Less and probably not. But in the end I still think it’ll be 4x16. Just my opinion.

So an article I read earlier today indicated that the ACC exit fee is 3x the ACC operating budget. The article from the Courier Journal (Louisville) indicated that would be ~$100 million. That is just the exit fee. Then you have the grant of rights. The article indicated Maryland sued the ACC for the exit fee only and the ACC agreed to 60 cents on the dollar. Again that is just the exit fee.
I would not expect the ACC to agree to a reduced figure less than 90 to 95 cents on the dollar given the potential of 5 to 6 brands could leave and would cripple the ACC. This is not a one off scenario. So that's $500 to $600 million to be split amongst ~9 teams. Now add either a projected GOR payout every year OR a huge payout onetime that is negotiated. That will be a seriously substantial payment.
So why on earth would those schools who will not get SEC/Big offers leave? If Syracuse doesn't get offered and the conference doesn't dissolve due to 10 teams being offered (no idea if that's a magic number), then they are still likely to get some big big bucks(hundreds of millions per team)as a settlement. For those thinking the GOR can be beaten legally you are partially correct, it can be settled legally at likely an obscene dollar value. Unless those teams stay for another 12 years.
Exactly.

ND being quiet so far tells me they are talking w the ACC and doing what they should, being a good partner to the league that has supported them.

I always wonder if all these sacred cows are in play, what would stop the IVY League becoming a player and deciding to issue scholarships? They already issue full rides to families w need. I just wonder if they could dip their toes into this and expand w a Duke and other big time programs and maybe prop other ones up too. Ridiculous theory but why not? usc is a big 10 team now

We should add the remaining Pac 12 schools, call the new league the East-West Connection, and this should be our logo.

05.jpg
A lot of roids in that photo.

I still feel the same. It’ll be rocky on the way but in the very end we will be Ok. I think I went into detail in a couple other posts. I just don’t think 2x16 or 2x20 or 2x24 works in the end. TV, fans, even pols will want more and there will be further shuffling to make things a bit more regional. I think we’d be in anyways if it’s 48. Less and probably not. But it the end I still think it’ll be 4x16. Just my opinion.
Rick has said this since about 2004. The mole was right!

I still can’t believe the ACC trip to Syracuse in like 03 was when I came to find this board and here we are 19 years later doing it again. What a life

I still feel the same. It’ll be rocky on the way but in the very end we will be Ok. I think I went into detail in a couple other posts. I just don’t think 2x16 or 2x20 or 2x24 works in the end. TV, fans, even pols will want more and there will be further shuffling to make things a bit more regional. I think we’d be in anyways if it’s 48. Less and probably not. But it the end I still think it’ll be 4x16. Just my opinion.
I think people are underestimating the political side of this and anti-trust concepts.

Rick has said this since about 2004. The mole was right!

I still can’t believe the ACC trip to Syracuse in like 03 was when I came to find this board and here we are 19 years later doing it again. What a life

Been saying 4x16 since the mid 80s. Lol. It would be silly for me to change my opinion now.

Why would who do what? The mega conferences are expected to expand to 20 teams, possibly 24. That means 16 slots.

"are expected to.." By whom? Certainly not by anyone who successfully predicted the Texas/Okla and UCLA/USC moves.. because such people do not exist.

It is not as clear to me why expanding to that size is a good business for either of these conferences. I hear a lot of talk about the NCAA - and the desire to break from it. What I have not heard is how doing so makes these conferences even more money. If they truly break away, and set their own rules, I am not sure how there will be crossover competition - which I think they need and desire.

I think they want to enrich themselves as much as possible in the current ecosystem. Destroying the ecosystem entirely creates a lot of unnecessary risk.

Here’s where I’ll plant my flag and agree

"are expected to.." By whom? Certainly not by anyone who successfully predicted the Texas/Okla and UCLA/USC moves.. because such people do not exist.

It is not as clear to me why expanding to that size is a good business for either of these conferences. I hear a lot of talk about the NCAA - and the desire to break from it. What I have not heard is how doing so makes these conferences even more money. If they truly break away, and set their own rules, I am not sure how there will be crossover competition - which I think they need and desire.

I think they want to enrich themselves as much as possible in the current ecosystem. Destroying the ecosystem entirely creates a lot of unnecessary risk.
The key there of course is whether any given team out there is worth at least $90-100M a year. Besides Notre Dame, who would that be?

Mention of Cuse and NYC Market. I still think if all hell breaks loose…an ACC PAC merger makes sense…well as much sense as any of this conference BS makes sense.

You just wait for all those 11:00 p.m. tipoff times.

We better get everything in writing.

Mention of Cuse and NYC Market. I still think if all hell breaks loose…an ACC PAC merger makes sense…well as much sense as any of this conference BS makes sense.
The key thing said (from a very experienced source) is that ESPN is behind such early discussions. First notable indication ESPN is looking for the ACC to succeed.

I say we try to be the last team out of the ACC. Collect all the exit fees and GOR all for ourselves. Then take those millions and millions of dollars and move the university to the south.
This is the first post in this thread I can get behind. Close it down!!!

Thank you.

Gotta help ourselves. We’re poised to outperform expectations, whether slightly or moreso, in football this year with our returning vets.

Get to a bowl and put players in the draft.

I do not anticipate a losing season again from basketball. Especially not if Mintz and another frosh pan out to contribute early. Get back to the tournament.

Lax will get it together, thats not even a worry.

Just gotta perform, improve attendance across sports and energize the donors/alumni. I’ve heard from several well connected local business owners that ADJW is a phenomenal fundraiser.

Just gotta be proactive and deliberate.

Sure would be nice if we had a baseball program with the way the SEC and ACC are beginning to invest in the sport. We really don't belong with the southern schools.

Don't really fit in with the B1G either but we're more similar to them than the former.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom