USC and UCLA to the Big Ten | Page 78 | Syracusefan.com

USC and UCLA to the Big Ten

ND wants 75 million to maintain independence.

Wrong link.

"Notre Dame would remain independent if it can earn at least $75 million annually in media rights revenue from current broadcast partner NBC, sources told CBS Sports. The Fighting Irish's deal with the network is set to expire in 2025.

For NBC to feel comfortable raising Notre Dame's valuation to such a level, it is seeking "shoulder programming" from a Power Five conference to enhance its college football coverage.

When that had previously been speculated, the Big Ten was the conference mentioned most often as a target. However, the Big 12 has emerged as a strong option to fill NBC's shoulder programming needs.

NBC's negotiations are expected to extend across the next 2-3 weeks, according to a source. The network has been the rightsholder for Notre Dame home football games since 1991.

The current deal averages $15 million per year, but Notre Dame is currently earning $22 million annually due to the backloaded nature of the contract."

Good for you guys! Get everything you're worth.

I'm sure ND's audience will tune in to see Houston play TCU after their game lol. And the B12 will love being filler. Glad you guys got it sorted, come back when we play you! It will be a fun game week.

- - -

One thing that's certain - ACC needs a way to return to the negotiating table - I think a PAC12 alignment makes a lot of sense. We signed a bad deal and need to get it closer to all of the live sports raises these leagues and conferences have received since.

Good for you guys! Get everything you're worth.

I'm sure ND's audience will tune in to see Houston play TCU after their game lol. And the B12 will love being filler. Glad you guys got it sorted, come back when we play you! It will be a fun game week.

- - -

One thing that's certain - ACC needs a way to return to the negotiating table - I think a PAC12 alignment makes a lot of sense. We signed a bad deal and need to get it closer to all of the live sports raises these leagues and conferences have received since.
Actually the ACC network needs to encompass the Pac 12, and since the Longhorn network is no more.
We need to add the Big 12.
The rest of the Big 12 needs to join the ACC.

Wrong link.

"Notre Dame would remain independent if it can earn at least $75 million annually in media rights revenue from current broadcast partner NBC, sources told CBS Sports. The Fighting Irish's deal with the network is set to expire in 2025.

For NBC to feel comfortable raising Notre Dame's valuation to such a level, it is seeking "shoulder programming" from a Power Five conference to enhance its college football coverage.

When that had previously been speculated, the Big Ten was the conference mentioned most often as a target. However, the Big 12 has emerged as a strong option to fill NBC's shoulder programming needs.

NBC's negotiations are expected to extend across the next 2-3 weeks, according to a source. The network has been the rightsholder for Notre Dame home football games since 1991.

The current deal averages $15 million per year, but Notre Dame is currently earning $22 million annually due to the backloaded nature of the contract."

probablky coincides with the pga tour going back to a normal golf schedule

I'd rather do PAC12 - a better cultural fit - but any way to get back to the table
It's best to take everyone else off the table. That way the 3 leagues get more money, and cam protect each other for a few years. You have the only conference covering the entire country, from east to west and north to south.

It's best to take everyone else off the table. That way the 3 leagues get more money, and cam protect each other for a few years. You have the only conference covering the entire country, from east to west and north to south.
That should have been the alliance, the 3 conferences that were ripe for depredation. If that had happened, the PAC wouldn't have lost their Los Angeles market to the robber barons and that would have been huge for an ACC-Big12-Pac media deal.

I'd rather do PAC12 - a better cultural fit - but any way to get back to the table
I also like PAC10/ACC straight merge. No one gets left behind. Olympics sports, baseball and softball just play as currently play. Two separate west and east divisions run independently. Basketball one division. Each team plays 24 conference game. Football divides into three divisions, 8 teams each. Three division champions and one wild card go to the conference championship game.

West division: Washington, Washington St, Oregon, Oregon St, Cal, Stanford, Arizona, Arizona St.
Central division: Utah, Colorado, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, BC, Virginia Tech, Virginia.
Southeast division: UNC, Duke, Wake, NC State, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Florida St, Miami.

Miami might want to switch place with Virginia though, if both schools want to.

Last edited:
Yep. Scheduling agreement doesn’t move the numbers enough. Could be ESPN favoring an ACC-PAC12 arrangement or it could be a similar outcome where the numbers don’t move enough.

Wouldn’t an ACC/PAC merger void the current conference GOR?

I also like PAC10/ACC straight merge. No one gets left behind. Olympics sports, baseball and softball just play as currently play. Two separate west and east divisions run independently. Basketball one division. Each team plays 24 conference game. Football divides into three divisions, 8 teams each. Three division champions and one wild card go to the conference championship game.

West division: Washington, Washington St, Oregon, Oregon St, Cal, Stanford, Arizona, Arizona St.
Central division: Utah, Colorado, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, BC, Virginia Tech, Virginia.
Southeast division: UNC, Duke, Wake, NC State, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Florida St, Miami.

Miami might want to switch place with Virginia though, if both schools want to.
I like this set up but could see a scenario where Stanford goes independent and joins Notre Dame to provide shoulder content for NBC. This arrangement also protects the conference should the SEC and Big Ten decide to expand to 20 teams.

ACC Division
Virginia
North Carolina
Duke
Wake Forest
NC State
Clemson
Georgia Tech
Florida St

Big East Division
Boston College
Syracuse
Pittsburgh
West Virginia
Louisville
Virginia Tech
Miami
Colorado

Pacific Division
Arizona
Arizona St
California
Oregon
Oregon St
Washington
Washington St
Utah

Not a legal expert, but I suspect the only way ESPN would agree to give the ACC schools more money in this kind of a deal is if the ACC GOR is retained, the P12 effectively is dissolved and the remaining P12 schools join the ACC as full members.

Then ESPN has long term full control over a bunch more P5 schools that they didn’t have control over before. A ton more inventory on the West Coast for football and basketball.

If they agreed to allow this and promised all schools a raise to say $50 million a season, it is a win for everyone. There are enough P12 schools they could effectively continue to run as they always have for Olympic sports. For football there is maybe one game between the East and West divisions a year. And a new championship game….that could generate more revenue.

And some basketball games between the divisions for sure.

A merger with the B12 would not be supported by ESPN. It doesn’t help them get more inventory and control. And we know Fox has no interest in the remaining P12 schools (I believe they has been leaked).

It might which is why this will most likely be structured as an alliance vs full blown merger.

As Sankey and others have stated nobody seems eager or ready to take on the GOR.
Everything i have read is that the ACCs GOR is extremely tight. Of course it could be challenged but the court case would be lengthy, costly, and the school looking to leave could still end up losing. In addition in North Carolinas and Virginia's case they would also be fighting their own state governments.

The GOR at this point is a blessing for SU and the lower valued ACC schools.

I believe that the PAC signs a new deal with ESPN that includes cross conference games with the ACC in football, basketball, and possibly other sports. The ACC will receive a nice increase in revenue for agreeing to the alliance which will keep them in 3rd place for the foreseeable future.

Once the 12 game playoff is approved i believe we might see further movement but not until then.

Yep. Scheduling agreement doesn’t move the numbers enough. Could be ESPN favoring an ACC-PAC12 arrangement or it could be a similar outcome where the numbers don’t move enough.
If you combine the Pac and the Big 12 you still dont have as many viewers as the ACC and you have a zillion schools. The payouts would be low. The deal wasn't accretive.

After 25 years of commonlaw marriage, things get subdued. Happens to the best of us.
Airing out the dirty laundry. So much for keeping it in the locker room and sauna

Last edited:
Wrong link.

So ND values their independence at 25mm per year since they would get 100mm in the BIG? That sounds like a decent trade for them. I wonder if 25mm is made up with the Shamrock series. We should be thankful to ND for remaining independent. It HELPS Syracuse that they remain in limbo and have stalled the remaining allignment for the time being.

ND is the biggest brand in college football. I bet they get what they ask for and they retain their identity which is probably worth more than 25mm but that's how I see it monetarily with the deals being thrown around.

So ND values their independence at 25mm per year since they would get 100mm in the BIG? That sounds like a decent trade for them. I wonder if 25mm is made up with the Shamrock series. We should be thankful to ND for remaining independent. It HELPS Syracuse that they remain in limbo and have stalled the remaining allignment for the time being.

ND is the biggest brand in college football. I bet they get what they ask for and they retain their identity which is probably worth more than 25mm but that's how I see it monetarily with the deals being thrown around.
To further your point, ND has probably valued its academic recruiting, alumni giving, and more particularly athletics gifts ar or about $25MM, making it feasible to stay independent.

Being a school that recruits nationally for academics rather than locally or regionally, ND must factor in its national exposure when considering joining a conference. At a certain point, even ND must face the hard choices, until then, status quo - which is a good thing for SU.

Not a legal expert, but I suspect the only way ESPN would agree to give the ACC schools more money in this kind of a deal is if the ACC GOR is retained, the P12 effectively is dissolved and the remaining P12 schools join the ACC as full members.

Then ESPN has long term full control over a bunch more P5 schools that they didn’t have control over before. A ton more inventory on the West Coast for football and basketball.

If they agreed to allow this and promised all schools a raise to say $50 million a season, it is a win for everyone. There are enough P12 schools they could effectively continue to run as they always have for Olympic sports. For football there is maybe one game between the East and West divisions a year. And a new championship game….that could generate more revenue.

And some basketball games between the divisions for sure.

A merger with the B12 would not be supported by ESPN. It doesn’t help them get more inventory and control. And we know Fox has no interest in the remaining P12 schools (I believe they has been leaked).
From the 2013 ACC GoR:

1658235053130.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom