Virginia Tech AD says ACCN To Launch later This Year | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Virginia Tech AD says ACCN To Launch later This Year

H/T: GTTiger at CSNBBS.com

Things are leaking...but good news

https://floridastate.n.rovals.com/n...ill-bullish-about-channel-negotiations-future

Click on the link and then in the address bar...Take the "o" out of rovals and insert an "i" in the link
I am not sure I am reading anything new. I think the ACC will survive because of ESPN protection but I don't think the network is coming. ESPN is cutting spending left an right they won't do an ACC network unless it would print money.

Methinks:
  1. there will be some sort of network starting in 2017
  2. ESPN will pay a $1M/school increase in 2016 (instead of the $3M per)
  3. official announcement will be made around the pre-season football media days

Methinks:
  1. there will be some sort of network starting in 2017
  2. ESPN will pay a $1M/school increase in 2016 (instead of the $3M per)
  3. official announcement will be made around the pre-season football media days
Is this your gut speaking or do you have information not yet readily available?

(Not asking for sources, just a basis for your analysis)

Is this your gut speaking or do you have information not yet readily available?

(Not asking for sources, just a basis for your analysis)
Just my gut and "reading between the lines" (of this multi-year saga). ;)

Just my gut and "reading between the lines" (of this multi-year saga). ;)
Thanks. I was hoping you had some inside info to build on. Your opinions are intriguing.

How is this network going to work? Is it going to be like the SECN? I just don't see ESPN being able to get another network on DirecTV and other cable providers.

If the ACC and ESPN were smart they would make the David Glenn Show the Paul Finabaum Show of an ACC network.

I hope I am wrong I just never see an ACCN happening. I just hope ESPN gives the revenue to keep the top dogs happen enough.

How is this network going to work? Is it going to be like the SECN? I just don't see ESPN being able to get another network on DirecTV and other cable providers.

If the ACC and ESPN were smart they would make the David Glenn Show the Paul Finabaum Show of an ACC network.

I hope I am wrong I just never see an ACCN happening. I just hope ESPN gives the revenue to keep the top dogs happen enough.

What are the revenue streams on ESPNC and ESPNN? Wouldn't they be able to get more advertising money from live sports? Then there is ESPNU. With the P12N, LHN, BTN, SECN, the B1G/P12/B12 on Fox, and an ACCN what would be left to for ESPNU? So any of those 3 could be rebranded.

Alsacs said:
How is this network going to work? Is it going to be like the SECN? I just don't see ESPN being able to get another network on DirecTV and other cable providers. If the ACC and ESPN were smart they would make the David Glenn Show the Paul Finabaum Show of an ACC network. I hope I am wrong I just never see an ACCN happening. I just hope ESPN gives the revenue to keep the top dogs happen enough.

I'd stop thinking so much about the "how" and think more about the "what"... The only thing that has retained value in the Internet/cord cutter era is live sports. I don't know how it will look or how it will make its way to our devices and TV's - but as long as it has value, people will pay for it, which means ESPN and the ACC will benefit.

Starts at 1:24 mark. Nothing really new.

Last edited:
What are the revenue streams on ESPNC and ESPNN? Wouldn't they be able to get more advertising money from live sports? Then there is ESPNU. With the P12N, LHN, BTN, SECN, the B1G/P12/B12 on Fox, and an ACCN what would be left to for ESPNU? So any of those 3 could be rebranded.
Yup, that's along the lines of my thinking. You could even mix ESPNN with ACCN. The only restriction would be that the only sports programming (live, or otherwise) would be ACC content. This means, no spillover from other ESPN networks when there are conflicts. Make game archives available online for subscribers.

All I can say is I have zero interest in third tier SEC football games (or second tier for that matter). SEC vollleyvall and baseball. No thank you. B1G anything. Couldn't care less.

Give me ACC basketball (third tier), lacrosse, baseball...I am buying. For a reasonable price.

Otherwise I guess I am lukewarm at best about Tier Three conference networks. They basically show crap that I can do without.

But for Syracuse and ACC content? Yeak, for the right price I am paying for that. Will people like me be enough? That's the question.

Some interesting thing is happening:

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/delany-wont-espn-part-big-ten-media-deal-190238721--spt.html

If ESPN is not part of the "Big 10" media package in any substantial way, it lends credence to the idea that just maybe they are going to back the ACC. If so, it all begins to make sense, including the earlier reports about ESPN dumping truckloads of video equipment at NC State, taking bids for the construction of a studio for the "ACC Network", etc. Despite what Delaney says (since football drives the bus), having Michigan State lose to Alabama 38-0 and Iowa lose to Stanford 45-16 also, doesn't help their cause. The $ millions in payouts for conference networks I understand are also projections not guaranteed money, sort of like NFL contracts, so maybe the ACC is not facing some kind of BIG/SEC doomsday.

Again, I'm getting better information from Yahoo than anywhere else.

Last edited:
Wonder what our AD's thoughts are.

That guy was a ... wait, I don't want to offend people who keeps snakes for pets. Hope you guys get a better one next time.

As far as ESPN, that reported contract clause to give the ACC $45 million if no network is in place appears to have been very smart. It may be one of the things pushing things forward. A year or two ago, I remember reading that the ACC itself (not ESPN) gives each school $1 million per year every year there is no cable channel.

That guy was a ... wait, I don't want to offend people who keeps snakes for pets. Hope you guys get a better one next time.

As far as ESPN, that reported contract clause to give the ACC $45 million if no network is in place appears to have been very smart. It may be one of the things pushing things forward. A year or two ago, I remember reading that the ACC itself (not ESPN) gives each school $1 million per year every year there is no cable channel.
So is the $45M a one time or an annual thing?

So is the $45M a one time or an annual thing?

According to the original quote from Wes Durham of Raycom, and formerly a long-time announcer for Ga Tech, it is per year.

According to the original quote from Wes Durham of Raycom, and formerly a long-time announcer for Ga Tech, it is per year.
Wes has spent more time in the Carrier Dome, of late, than at Bobby Dodd.
We need to change that. ;)