Virginia Tech AD says ACCN To Launch later This Year | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Virginia Tech AD says ACCN To Launch later This Year

CuseLegacy said:

Weird. I was told that people will come back to cable and their bundles. ;)

TheCusian said:
Weird. I was told that people will come back to cable and their bundles. ;)

Sling TV
PlayStation Vue
Hulu
YouTube
etc.

Bundles of "TV" content will continue to exist. They'll just look differently. Direct-to-consumer services will exist too. We're in a fragmented world that will only get more and more fragmented.

Lots of choices for many different needs and preferences.

Anyone talking about things in monolithic terms is wrong.

Scooch said:
Sling TV PlayStation Vue Hulu YouTube etc. Bundles of "TV" content will continue to exist. They'll just look differently. Direct-to-consumer services will exist too. We're in a fragmented world that will only get more and more fragmented. Lots of choices for many different needs and preferences. Anyone talking about things in monolithic terms is wrong.

Yep. It was only a matter of time.

The flip side is that our final "media" tally may look similar to our old cable bill. But what I like about SlingTV, Netflix, HBO Now is the ability to go monthly pretty easily if need be. Strip things down to just what you think you'll watch. More choice is good for the consumer.

ISP is a whole different bag.

Between the Pac-12, Big 12 and ACC, the Big 12 could be viewed as the most vulnerable in its current state. With only ten teams, the Big 12 is the smallest league, the only one without a championship game and is one of two Power 5 leagues lacking a cable television network. (The ACC also lacks a network, but is expected to iron out the remaining issues and announce a network deal with ESPN that could be considered the model for future television deals in the cord-cutting era.)

-----

Without having seen the data, this is the hardest area to project. On the one hand, there's a narrative that says cord cutters (internet and mobile viewing experiences) are killing traditional cable. The Pac-12 Network's struggles have shown that just having a network doesn't guarantee success, as broadcasting has entered an era of stiffer distribution resistance. The counter-argument is the ACC's imminent deal. The Big 12's biggest problem—outside of its Longhorn Network albatross—is that it lacks leverage. ESPN owns all of the ACC's content, so there's a distinct incentive to create an outlet for it. The Big 12 content is owned by Fox and ESPN, and the third-tier rights are scattered throughout the league. (The Big 12 pays members about $23 million per school, a number that can be bumped to $27 million because of certain schools' third-tier rights.)

Last edited:

ESPN will pay an average of $190 million per year over six years for essentially half the conference’s media rights package, according to several sources close to the talks. Two months ago, Fox Sports agreed to take the other half of the package for an average of $240 million per year. CBS Sports also has told the conference that it will renew its basketball-only package for $10 million per year.

The six-year, $2.64 billion media rights haul represents a big win for the Big Ten Conference, of course, which will see its average media rights payout nearly triple when it takes effect next fall

--
Soon after news of Fox’s deal leaked in April, however, ESPN President John Skipper called Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany and said he wanted to re-engage. After a flurry of phone calls and emails, Skipper and Delany reached a broad agreement on price. John Wildhack, ESPN executive vice president of programming and production, and Burke Magnus, executive vice president of programming and scheduling, shook hands on an agreement with Delany and conference lawyer John Barrett during a May 19 meeting at the conference’s New York office.

440/14= 31.4 mil per school
Plus BTN 7 mil per school and Rose Bowl 5.5 ml per school

So they will be getting about 43.9 mil per year without the Big Ten office getting its share.

So they will be getting about 43.9 mil per year without the Big Ten office getting its share.
This news definitely should be putting the ACC into DEFCON 1 in terms of finding a way to make the ACC network a reality asap. The difference in payout is huge, and the b10 stands to make even more inside the life of the ACC contract.

Not sure this is true but I read the recent average of $26.4 or whatever was dependent on the MD payout, so the thought is that 2016 will be even or less for the member schools. Luckily the conference produced on the field, in football and hoops to generate capital, but this news is only gonna make Clemson and FSU more anxious. One of them winning the title in NCAAFB this year would be big.

This news derails any stalling on the ACCN (not that ESPN/ACC should not be prudent in development, just no stall tactics) because no one can argue that the B1G is worth 3X anyone else in TV viewing based on ratings, quality of programming and interest nationwide. Everyone will want a huge bump to 3X what they get now if for no other reason that proportionately speaking, every conference is underpaid.

I don't believe the $440 million number. The previously announced Fox deal was for at most $250 million. That was if they got most of the content available.

This deal says ESPN is getting half the content. Fox might pay more than ESPN for the same content, given that they are the Rutgers of television networks, but I will bet they aren't going to pay $60 million a year more than ESPN for the same exact content.

IMHO, it was a good move for the B1G to stay with ESPN. I hope this doesn't affect the rumored deal between ESPN and the ACC for an ACC network.

I don't believe the $440 million number. The previously announced Fox deal was for at most $250 million. That was if they got most of the content available.

This deal says ESPN is getting half the content. Fox might pay more than ESPN for the same content, given that they are the Rutgers of television networks, but I will bet they aren't going to pay $60 million a year more than ESPN for the same exact content.

IMHO, it was a good move for the B1G to stay with ESPN. I hope this doesn't affect the rumored deal between ESPN and the ACC for an ACC network.

I remain skeptic, too. The Fox deal was "up to XXX" and that included first choice of games for that price. If ESPN takes any of the top games, then the Fox price would presumably go down a bit. Still not convinced there are 50 games worth the value the two are paying but if so, this bodes well for all conferences as they are all being underpaid!

No matter how much ESPN cries poverty, there is no excuse for not tripling everyone's payout. The B1G ratings do not support a payout triple to everyone else unless the networks have been low balling everyone for many years. I have suspected that there is much more money available than we are often led to believe, this makes me believe there is much more available.

The Big Ten is publicly saying they signed 6 year contract with ESPN/FOX/CBS for 2.64 billion.
2.64B/6= 440 million per year.

I believe it. FOX needs inventory for FS1. They only have half of the Big XII FB package and half of the entire Pac-12 package and Big East basketball.

Even though I bet ESPN keeps Ohio State-Michigan every year like they keep Oklahoma-Texas from Big XII. The Wisconsin-Iowa or Nebraska-Minnesota games will help FOX get ratings.
ESPN was paying 100 million a year for the entire Big Ten package. So the conference didn't get the overpay it got from FOX in 250 million for half but getting 180 million from ESPN for half was good negotiations for both sides.

The Big Ten is publicly saying they signed 6 year contract with ESPN/FOX/CBS for 2.64 billion.
2.64B/6= 440 million per year.

I believe it. FOX needs inventory for FS1. They only have half of the Big XII FB package and half of the entire Pac-12 package and Big East basketball.

Even though I bet ESPN keeps Ohio State-Michigan every year like they keep Oklahoma-Texas from Big XII. The Wisconsin-Iowa or Nebraska-Minnesota games will help FOX get ratings.
ESPN was paying 100 million a year for the entire Big Ten package. So the conference didn't get the overpay it got from FOX in 250 million for half but getting 180 million from ESPN for half was good negotiations for both sides.
I don't think this is correct, I believe that fox has the right to select which games it wants. Hence the mark up on the price

I don't think this is correct, I believe that fox has the right to select which games it wants. Hence the mark up on the price
The SBJ article from last month didn't say that. It made it seem like FOX bid 250 just half the B half of the schedule and that the Big Ten for leveraging reasons didn't want to shut out ESPN who didn't want to pay as much as Fox did. ESPN played the Big Ten well they weren't going to give them 250 million so they let the Big Ten take the FOX money and then come down to the 180 mill figure they deemed fair and will still get the games they want.

The SBJ article from last month didn't say that. It made it seem like FOX bid 250 just half the B half of the schedule and that the Big Ten for leveraging reasons didn't want to shut out ESPN who didn't want to pay as much as Fox did. ESPN played the Big Ten well they weren't going to give them 250 million so they let the Big Ten take the FOX money and then come down to the 180 mill figure they deemed fair and will still get the games they want.
The content is being split, at least according to this article.

Report: Big Ten getting $2.64 billion in new TV deal

Again, the $250 million was the maximum Fox would spend for their share of the B1G content up for grabs. That was if they got more than 50% and had clear preferential treatment.

I haven't seen the B1G say they are getting $440 million. If they do, and Fox really pays $60 million more annually than ESPN does for the same content, wow. It would be a remarkable admission from Fox how undesirable they are to work with compared to ESPN.

ESPN will pay an average of $190 million per year over six years for essentially half the conference’s media rights package, according to several sources close to the talks. Two months ago, Fox Sports agreed to take the other half of the package for an average of $240 million per year. CBS Sports also has told the conference that it will renew its basketball-only package for $10 million per year.

The six-year, $2.64 billion media rights haul represents a big win for the Big Ten Conference, of course, which will see its average media rights payout nearly triple when it takes effect next fall

--
Soon after news of Fox’s deal leaked in April, however, ESPN President John Skipper called Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany and said he wanted to re-engage. After a flurry of phone calls and emails, Skipper and Delany reached a broad agreement on price. John Wildhack, ESPN executive vice president of programming and production, and Burke Magnus, executive vice president of programming and scheduling, shook hands on an agreement with Delany and conference lawyer John Barrett during a May 19 meeting at the conference’s New York office.
This article has the information on the Fox champ game and preferable game selection

The content is being split, at least according to this article.

Report: Big Ten getting $2.64 billion in new TV deal

Again, the $250 million was the maximum Fox would spend for their share of the B1G content up for grabs. That was if they got more than 50% and had clear preferential treatment.

I haven't seen the B1G say they are getting $440 million. If they do, and Fox really pays $60 million more annually than ESPN does for the same content, wow. It would be a remarkable admission from Fox how undesirable they are to work with compared to ESPN.
Fox as the non-incumbent broadcaster has to overpay to get the rights. So the extra 60 million makes sense as ESPN has higher rating and is in ore homes. For Fox to move up in the ratings they need the content. Just like the Big East got overpaid from FOX and the USGA did as well. Fox is using its money to try and build up its FS1 property. They paid for Skip Bayless, Colin Cowherd, Jason Whitlock from ESPN.

So I get why the Big Ten was able to get more money fro FOX than ESPN.