Wayne Williams off the team | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Wayne Williams off the team

This isn't good. DT isn't a position you want to see true freshmen play, but now we have no choice but to see a couple of them in the 5-6 man rotation (if we can even line up that many).

LSU OL and Leonard Fournette, that's not going to be fun for them.

Funderburke... Huge back shoulder catch vs BC in 2013, not on the game winning drive but the scoring drive prior. Not sure we go to the Texas Bowl without that catch.

That Texas Bowl is easily one of my low key favorites. F Minnesota.

and Bc.

I think we will see a ton on 3-3-5 'Okie', best use of our young, fast talent.
Thompson- Raymon- Slayton
Bennett-Franklin-Hodges
Whigham-Blair(Okie)-Williams-Cordy-Morgan

Clark, Slayton, Simmons, Pickard, Thomas, Vigille, Winfield, Scissum and Doewels all see time.

It stinks that we are now depleted at DT and unproven at DE at the same time. Thompson might have to play some inside [like last year] to help mask lack of depth -- but that puts pressure on the pass rush, since we don't have any proven commodities on the edge, either.

I think we will see a ton on 3-3-5 'Okie', best use of our young, fast talent.
Thompson- Raymon- Slayton
Bennett-Franklin-Hodges
Whigham-Blair(Okie)-Williams-Cordy-Morgan

Clark, Slayton, Simmons, Pickard, Thomas, Vigille, Winfield, Scissum and Doewels all see time.

That's ok for passing downs, but we don't have the size for a 3-4, and will get beat up on 1st downs. Really don't want to have to see Ron play inside. It's a waste of his skill.

Really wish HCSS let Sloan play another year, and did some convincing with Harvey to stay. I don't even want to think what happens if Raymon can't hold up, and we have another injury or 2 at the position.

How is it possible we are thin at DT, Safety, CB, and OT???? We have 85 scholarships right??
We're not thin at OT. Got 5 bodies there (Foy, Palmer, Lasker, McGloster, Burton) plus two Frosh.

Funderburke... Huge back shoulder catch vs BC in 2013, not on the game winning drive but the scoring drive prior. Not sure we go to the Texas Bowl without that catch.
But that was one of only three catches all year. I take WW.

That's ok for passing downs, but we don't have the size for a 3-4, and will get beat up on 1st downs. Really don't want to have to see Ron play inside. It's a waste of his skill.

Really wish HCSS let Sloan play another year, and did some convincing with Harvey to stay. I don't even want to think what happens if Raymon can't hold up, and we have another injury or 2 at the position.

They'd get gashed in the run without a doubt.

First downs:

Thompson- Samuels-Raymon-Simmons
Bennett-Franklin-Hodges
Whigham-Blair-Cordy-Morgan

This is how I see the two-deep in the traditional 4-3:

DE:
Thompson
Pickard

Simmons
Arcenegia

DT:
Samuels
Slayton

NT:
Raymon
Clark

SLB:
Bennett
Thomas

MLB:
Franklin
Vigilla

WLB:
Hodges
Taylor

SS:
Cordy
Scissum

FS:
Blair
Williams

CB:
Whigham
Winfield

Morgan
Doewels

This defense will be very good in two years. This year... I hope I am pleasantly surprised.

But that was one of only three catches all year. I take WW.
Interesting, that's why I like OttoinGrotto 's comparison. Even though I think it's supposed to shine light on how unproductive both were, it's actually a good question.

3 catches 50 yds vs. 9 tkls and a FR. Most of WW's stats came during inconsequential time. QF's catch, although disappointingly 33% of his overall production, meant much more to the team.

So it goes for me, but, that's why this board exists...

Last edited:
I wonder if the staff would consider moving Donnie Foster to DT. He's big, strong and a decent athlete. Doesn't need to be a starter there but would add depth. He probably won't make the 2 deep at Center so why not try and make the move.

I wonder if the staff would consider moving Donnie Foster to DT. He's big, strong and a decent athlete. Doesn't need to be a starter there but would add depth. He probably won't make the 2 deep at Center so why not try and make the move.

Not a bad thought [and if not Foster, perhaps another OL who might be able to shift to the opposite side of the ball]. How's Foster's mobility speed?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom