When’s the last season you were this excited for a team? | Syracusefan.com

When’s the last season you were this excited for a team?

I honestly don't remember the last time I was excited. Maybe 2013 or 2014?

My excitement now is guarded. I like what's developed the last couple months, but I'll have to see what we actually look like on the court before all pessimism is gone.

I've been a fan since 5th or 6th grade when I first started palying basketball and I started watching louie and bouie, I've had so many seasons of being excited that i know i've been lucky and i've been spoiled, but to answer your question, I cant even remember when I was this excited...I cant believe that Red just filled our roster with guys we would have killed for a couple years ago...I lived and died with Autry, Griff and G-mac for years and I cant wait to see what they do as they bring us into the future of syracuse basketball. I cannot wait

I would have to go all the way back to maybe 2013 or 2014, same as sufandu. Been a long time. And while I'm super stoked for what this coming season could be, there's also that part of me that recognizes it could also be a very bumpy road.

I think the most excited I’ve ever been for a recruiting class (which I know was not the question) is the 2002 class with Melo and Gerry. Second has to be Derrick Coleman and Stevie Thompson’s 1986 class.

What is exciting to me now is that the juju is finally back for Syracuse basketball and our new recruits will be more likely to stick. Now if we can add Boogie to next years class…

Probably goes back to Lydon, Richardson, Roberson etc for me
I’m nervous short term and optimistic for year two/three.

We needed to move in, but as a game coach, Boeheim is brilliant. No way Red can match his predecessor in year one and there will be What coaching moments next year.

But with recruiting, we will see the benefits of TTO in year two plus with strong portalling. Better talent makes all head coaches look better.

I'm surprised at the '18-'19 comments. People actually thought we had something there? It seemed pretty clear to me that the tourney run the previous year was the anomaly, not the regular season.

I'm surprised at the '18-'19 comments. People actually thought we had something there? It seemed pretty clear to me that the tourney run the previous year was the anomaly, not the regular season.

They brought back everyone from a tournament quality team, albeit one that barely snuck in. And they added a highly rated Jalen Carey (who people thought could contribute right away) as well as Hughes (who I was high on because of JB’s success with transfers). Also Dolezaj and Brissett looked good at the end of the season that gave me hope that at least one of them would take a big step forward (unfortunately didn’t materialize).

I didn’t think they were contenders to cut down the nets or anything, but I thought a 4 or 5 seed was realistic heading into that season.

They brought back everyone from a tournament quality team, albeit one that barely snuck in. And they added a highly rated Jalen Carey (who people thought could contribute right away) as well as Hughes (who I was high on because of JB’s success with transfers). Also Dolezaj and Brissett looked good at the end of the season that gave me hope that at least one of them would take a big step forward (unfortunately didn’t materialize).

I didn’t think they were contenders to cut down the nets or anything, but I thought a 4 or 5 seed was realistic heading into that season.
I just didn't see it. An 11 seed to a 4 or 5 seed is a big jump. Some people put way too much weight on the tournament as if we turned a corner when it was really just a hot run. We didn't finish the season strong. We lost 3 of our last 5 and 6 of our last 10 in the regular season and UNC drilled us in the second game of the ACC tournament. The marathon of a season is a better indicator than a single elimination tournament of how good a team actually is.

I think people had forgotten what actual elite talent looked like and tried to convince themselves that our very good players were great players. The best players on that team would've been nice 2nd or 3rd options on a team with a legit national star, but none of them were that guy. Put a Carmelo, Wallace, Owens, DC, etc. level talent on that team and it's a different story.

Always excited to watch my favorite team. Just going to be more excited-er.
Me too. I always look forward to each season starting. Unfortunately my optimism for a potential, good tournament team has disappeared too early each season recently.

2016-2017

Coming off the Final Four. After the Andrew White insanity. I remember there basically being the (sensible) guarded and cautious camp and the Final Four or bust camp.

I was firmly in the latter.

The difference here obviously is there’s nothing remotely resembling Final Four expectations. Just excitement over the Autry era getting off the ground with legitimate talent on the roster.

Last edited:
Admittedly, I feel we (the SU fanbase), get "this excited" about the prospects of the team EVERY year (myself included)

I just didn't see it. An 11 seed to a 4 or 5 seed is a big jump. Some people put way too much weight on the tournament as if we turned a corner when it was really just a hot run. We didn't finish the season strong. We lost 3 of our last 5 and 6 of our last 10 in the regular season and UNC drilled us in the second game of the ACC tournament. The marathon of a season is a better indicator than a single elimination tournament of how good a team actually is.

I think people had forgotten what actual elite talent looked like and tried to convince themselves that our very good players were great players. The best players on that team would've been nice 2nd or 3rd options on a team with a legit national star, but none of them were that guy. Put a Carmelo, Wallace, Owens, DC, etc. level talent on that team and it's a different story.

Your view in hindsight was obviously correct. And certainly that team wasn’t the equivalent of the late 80s or early 10s glory years. But I think coming into the season there was reason to be optimistic that it was a legit top 20 team, which I think puts it about equivalent to this year. Battle and Brissett looked like two potential nba players and there was a bunch of returning talent around them. Brissett ended up having a pretty disappointing sophomore season, imo, and has since shown he was capable of much more.

This year too there is a lot of talent but if some of the key guys (starling, westry) don’t improve as sophomores the team is going to struggle.

Obviously looking back you were closer to being correct in your preseason predictions for that team. Was just explaining why there was reason for real optimism. Unfortunately didn’t materialize.

Your view in hindsight was obviously correct. And certainly that team wasn’t the equivalent of the late 80s or early 10s glory years. But I think coming into the season there was reason to be optimistic that it was a legit top 20 team, which I think puts it about equivalent to this year. Battle and Brissett looked like two potential nba players and there was a bunch of returning talent around them. Brissett ended up having a pretty disappointing sophomore season, imo, and has since shown he was capable of much more.

This year too there is a lot of talent but if some of the key guys (starling, westry) don’t improve as sophomores the team is going to struggle.

I know preseason rankings are somewhat a crapshoot, but Syracuse was ranked preseason at 16 that year. So there was some buzz nationally about that team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom