Wildhack | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Wildhack

Turned over two of the big three (this one matters a lot clearly) and is dumping a quarter of a billion into facilities ignored for generations.
And fought tooth and nail to secure funding for upgrades to assistant coaching staffs, facilities and support positions coming out of a covid period drowining in red ink. Did not bear fruit, but ensured Dino had everything he needed to succees within reason before making a move.
The Gait hire was a win-win. Doc Hollywood had us saddled with a women's lacrosse coaching salary that peer schools laughed at. We moved Gait to men's lax, were able to bring in a successful men;s head coach to assist in the transition to the men's game and hired Kayla and probably REDUCED payroll.

I agree, there is a way to convey a point, maybe he had his feelings hurt previously? Is he a former player?

He was a LB who enrolled at SU near the end of Shafer’s tenure.
He was on the team for 2-3 years but transferred to another school. Apparently he still holds some resentment for Dino.

And fought tooth and nail to secure funding for upgrades to assistant coaching staffs, facilities and support positions coming out of a covid period drowining in red ink. Did not bear fruit, but ensured Dino had everything he needed to succees within reason before making a move.
The Gait hire was a win-win. Doc Hollywood had us saddled with a women's lacrosse coaching salary that peer schools laughed at. We moved Gait to men's lax, were able to bring in a successful men;s head coach to assist in the transition to the men's game and hired Kayla and probably REDUCED payroll.
So the woman coach got less than gait? That wouldn’t fly and shouldn’t fly. Syracuse isn’t stupid to do that

So the woman coach got less than gait? That wouldn’t fly and shouldn’t fly. Syracuse isn’t stupid to do that

I’m sure experience and years at SU plays a role.

Please expound?
AD is responsible for running a nine figure enterprise. Much more complex than whether a failing football coach is replaced in early November vs, late November.

We went through covid without cutting staff or sports. John has developed proteges that have gone on to man AD and Deputy AD positions at other schools. We have upgraded facilities more in the last seven years than in the previous 30. We've replaced iconic coaches in two of our three major revenue sports in the last three years and both seem to be trending in the right direction. We've focused holistically on the wellness of 600 student athletes in a way that few of our peers can match.

There was no financially viable way to make a paradigm change to the football program until this year given the extension that was given to Dino after the 2018 season - an extension that EVERYONE in the fan base was demanding for fear of losing our hot coach to a West Coast school, so he ensured that he did everything in his power to give Dino the components he needed to succeed before making a move. Take a look at the football coaching and support staff roster from 2017 and compare to today if you don't believe that.

Football coaching success is not the sole evaluation criterion when looking at an AD's preformance. I'll give him an incomplete there but high marks in every other aspect of his tenure to date. Easily the most influential AD we have had since Jake.

Gary Gait as women's lacrosse coach was at one point the fourth highest paid employee of Syracuse University. Yes, that should fly. It's not because Kayla is a woman. It's because Gait was being paid a stupidly inflated salary.

No they wont. Still a hard pass on the sleazy bastard.
Slick Rick is a good coach, but his past transgressions make him a poor fit for Syracuse and i am glad he is not our Coach. Let a young man have a chance and grow. Coach P. has done his thing and had his time. St. Johns was desperate to become relevant again, so he was a good choice for them.

There aren’t many, in baseball maybe Bobby Bonds? Not sure he was a superstar though.
Off the top of my head:
Barry/Bobby Bonds
Ken Griffey JR/SR
Fernando Tatis JR/SR

And now we are seeing the next wave of young players with famous dads:
Guerrero JR
Bichette
etc

Off the top of my head:
Barry/Bobby Bonds
Ken Griffey JR/SR
Fernando Tatis JR/SR

And now we are seeing the next wave of young players with famous dads:
Guerrero JR
Bichette
etc
I was thinking Griffey also, but when he said superstar it kind of stopped me in my tracks. Don’t think I’d put the elder Griffey and Bonds into the superstar category.

There aren’t many, in baseball maybe Bobby Bonds? Not sure he was a superstar though.
Can we also look at the Mannings? Peyton for sure had a better career than his father, can argue Eli did too.

I was thinking Griffey also, but when he said superstar it kind of stopped me in my tracks. Don’t think I’d put the elder Griffey and Bonds into the superstar category.
That's fair ... they were both All-Stars and Griffey was a cog on the big red machine in the 70s which I think hurt him because that roster was loaded.

That's fair ... they were both All-Stars and Griffey was a cog on the big red machine in the 70s which I think hurt him because that roster was loaded.
Those lineups top to bottom in Cincy we’re insane, especially for that era.

Those lineups top to bottom in Cincy we’re insane, especially for that era.
I know ... the talent they had was outrageous! Hell they had a few decent teams and players into the 80s and 90s. Sabo, Larkin, Eric Davis et al

I’m sure experience and years at SU plays a role.
Not only that but you can't tell me they draw equal revenue either, let's be honest.

Wildhacks non revenue track record has been great. Obviously we needed to make Gait the HC a decade earlier but it’s not really on him and alums kept buying desko an extra year it happens.

Doesn’t mean much if anything when it’s time to pick a new FB coach.

Regardless he’s been a great AD in that regard. These programs like soccer aren’t tax payer financed and still win big it’s impressive in its own right.

Can Ball unpack his boxes yet before you fire him?
He is number 2? By his job description that isn’t the case. It has nothing to do with what I described. If JW is spending all his time fundraising he needs to delegate the actual running of the athletic department. That is where we are failing. So whomever has been doing that meds to go. If he is giving that to Ball, great. But then Ball cannot have time for what we hired him for.

A quarter of a billion dollars for the facilities, but we can’t afford to buy out a coaches contract extension that he agreed on the terms to offer. smh.

Only thing to consider here. A quarter of a billion dollars for the facilities, but we can’t afford to buy out a coaches contract extension that he agreed on the terms to offer. smh.
I think we can … I think ADJW is being prudent. I don’t expect him to work on my time table he has far more inside knowledge than I. Which is why I have never said anything regarding the AD … I’ll wait to see what happens in spite of the fact I’d like to see the change I am sure he has a reason.

I agree, there is a way to convey a point, maybe he had his feelings hurt previously? Is he a former player?
He was a pretty nice prospect out of a big program in Ohio - we beat out Nebraska and Cincy for him.

Many were high on his potential and who knows how things would have played out for him had there not been a coaching change.

He is number 2? By his job description that isn’t the case. It has nothing to do with what I described. If JW is spending all his time fundraising he needs to delegate the actual running of the athletic department. That is where we are failing. So whomever has been doing that meds to go. If he is giving that to Ball, great. But then Ball cannot have time for what we hired him for.
Ball essentially replaced Andrew Goodrich who is now the AD at Gardner Webb and doing very well. Herm is basically a figurehead riding out his time. When Andrew left his duties were split between several of the Associates. I believe Jamie Mullen took on a lot of the administrative tasks. Torrey has taken some of that back and I believe he is managing the Legends partnership, the Learfield agreement, everything associated with licensing and marketing. Kristen Jones Kolod acts as a quasi CFO. Head coaches have a lot of discretion in their budgets, but Kristen oversees and handles exceptions.

A quarter of a billion dollars for the facilities, but we can’t afford to buy out a coaches contract extension that he agreed on the terms to offer. smh.
Need to understand where the money comes from. The facilities are financed almost entirely by earmarked private donations headlined by the Lally gift. The Dome and other facilities like athlete housing are not under athletics but under the general University fund. There is no money budgeted for contract buyouts. IF Wildhack determines a change needs to be made he needs to come up with any funding that exceeds his budget, either from the General University fund with BoT approval, or donor funds. Can certainly be done, and a lot less daunting with reportedly just one year left on contract, but an exceptional circumstance.

Wildhacks non revenue track record has been great. Obviously we needed to make Gait the HC a decade earlier but it’s not really on him and alums kept buying desko an extra year it happens.

Doesn’t mean much if anything when it’s time to pick a new FB coach.

Regardless he’s been a great AD in that regard. These programs like soccer aren’t tax payer financed and still win big it’s impressive in its own right.
This hire will ultimately define his tenure. He inherited Dino and appropriately extended him after the 10-3 season. But he now needs a home run hire here. If this goes down the tail end of Dino’s tenure / GRob esque, Wildhack will ultimately be remembered as a failure.

Winning all the small battles doesn’t matter if you ultimately lose the big one. And this is the big one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom