Wildhack | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Wildhack

Ball essentially replaced Andrew Goodrich who is now the AD at Gardner Webb and doing very well. Herm is basically a figurehead riding out his time. When Andrew left his duties were split between several of the Associates. I believe Jamie Mullen took on a lot of the administrative tasks. Torrey has taken some of that back and I believe he is managing the Legends partnership, the Learfield agreement, everything associated with licensing and marketing. Kristen Jones Kolod acts as a quasi CFO. Head coaches have a lot of discretion in their budgets, but Kristen oversees and handles exceptions.
Again that role has nothing to do with the day to day stuff.

This hire will ultimately define his tenure. He inherited Dino and appropriately extended him after the 10-3 season. But he now needs a home run hire here. If this goes down the tail end of Dino’s tenure / GRob esque, Wildhack will ultimately be remembered as a failure.

Winning all the small battles doesn’t matter if you ultimately lose the big one. And this is the big one.
Extending Dino was appropriate. However, the terms in that package (which we don’t know the full extent of) is proving to have not been appropriate. If it was, we would’ve made a move last Friday.

This hire will ultimately define his tenure. He inherited Dino and appropriately extended him after the 10-3 season. But he now needs a home run hire here. If this goes down the tail end of Dino’s tenure / GRob esque, Wildhack will ultimately be remembered as a failure.

Winning all the small battles doesn’t matter if you ultimately lose the big one. And this is the big one.
Agreed.

But I don’t think we should swing for the fences. Portal options might not be that great if everyone has portalled already and can’t portal again without sitting out.

If White rights the ship at 7-5 give me that over some guy with a ‘higher upside’ that goes 2-10. Ala P to grob.

How bad we are right now on 11/5/2023 shouldn’t be understated I know we had respectable years before this but what we saw the last5 and what’s coming up the next 3 aren’t mirages. We’re handing over a serious dumpster fire. I’d rather put it out than let it burn for a couple more years.

Our situation is really bad we’re the worst P5 program this year by far but don’t get first overall pick. Who is comparable Arizona st? Everyone in the ACC is way better.

Need to understand where the money comes from. The facilities are financed almost entirely by earmarked private donations headlined by the Lally gift. The Dome and other facilities like athlete housing are not under athletics but under the general University fund. There is no money budgeted for contract buyouts. IF Wildhack determines a change needs to be made he needs to come up with any funding that exceeds his budget, either from the General University fund with BoT approval, or donor funds. Can certainly be done, and a lot less daunting with reportedly just one year left on contract, but an exceptional circumstance.
It really shouldn’t be that difficult though to have that money ready at any moment to make a change in your revenue programs. I don’t think the program is in bad shape at all. In fact, I think arguably the best it’s been this century. Which is why a move asap makes more sense to try to salvage and put the team in the best shape possible to have a chance at a bowl and hit the ground running to get ready for next year.

There is zero chance we win two more James if Dino is the coach but I think we have a shot if he isn't the coach. Should have been done by today.
ESPN FPI still has Syracuse as a favorite to win 2 out of the last 3. Before BC, they were favored to win out. Don’t know how the methodology works, it’s a computer model, but they got to be underperforming at an extraordinary level. Shocked given the offensive numbers the last 5 games, that Syracuse still remains on a reasonable path to a bowl. If they play to the expectation of the model.

ESPN FPI still has Syracuse as a favorite to win 2 out of the last 3. Before BC, they were favored to win out. Don’t know how the methodology works, it’s a computer model, but they got to be underperforming at an extraordinary level. Shocked given the offensive numbers the last 5 games, that Syracuse still remains on a reasonable path to a bowl. If the play to the expectation of the model.
The D

ESPN FPI still has Syracuse as a favorite to win 2 out of the last 3. Before BC, they were favored to win out. Don’t know how the methodology works, it’s a computer model, but they got to be underperforming at an extraordinary level. Shocked given the offensive numbers the last 5 games, that Syracuse still remains on a reasonable path to a bowl. If they play to the expectation of the model.
We've turned into Iowa but with just a really good defense instead of an elite one. They are going to crack one or two of these games if the offense keeps leaning on them this hard.

Computer models are trying to catch up but we are falling quicker than they can move us.

Again that role has nothing to do with the day to day stuff.
Not sure what exactly you consider day-to-day. He directs the staff responsible for all of those functions. He is the liaison with University facilities and administrative services. I expect he will become more visible on local media as Goodrich did. He doesn't do scheduling. He doesn't interact with coaches and given specific sport day-to-day direction. No AD does. And he is recognized as second in command in the department along with Herm, but much more engaged. I believe Paulus is still a direct report to John and is pretty autonomous woth the CAF.

It’s a non revenue sport. It has to be in same galaxy

Not sure what you mean but someone who’s been a HC at SU for 17 years is gonna make a lot more than someone in their first year.

Dovetailing off this

Anyone think it's time to move on from Pete Sala and Tom Forgione?
Do u know how hard it is gonna be to replace Pete. He does three jobs and spends 14to 17 hrs there every damn day. No one and I mean no one nowadays will do that. Be careful what u ask for. He is a great guy on top of all that.

Do u know how hard it is gonna be to replace Pete. He does three jobs and spends 14to 17 hrs there every damn day. No one and I mean no one nowadays will do that. Be careful what u ask for. He is a great guy on top of all that.

What are those 3 jobs? One can't take a stance one way or another without listing them. Is he good at all three? Why does it take him so long (17 hours) to perform those jobs? Why does he even have three jobs? SU is cheap? Mismanagement by the AD? Chances are he can't give 100% to any one job which in turn makes him worse at all three.

AD is responsible for running a nine figure enterprise. Much more complex than whether a failing football coach is replaced in early November vs, late November.

We went through covid without cutting staff or sports. John has developed proteges that have gone on to man AD and Deputy AD positions at other schools. We have upgraded facilities more in the last seven years than in the previous 30. We've replaced iconic coaches in two of our three major revenue sports in the last three years and both seem to be trending in the right direction. We've focused holistically on the wellness of 600 student athletes in a way that few of our peers can match.

There was no financially viable way to make a paradigm change to the football program until this year given the extension that was given to Dino after the 2018 season - an extension that EVERYONE in the fan base was demanding for fear of losing our hot coach to a West Coast school, so he ensured that he did everything in his power to give Dino the components he needed to succeed before making a move. Take a look at the football coaching and support staff roster from 2017 and compare to today if you don't believe that.

Football coaching success is not the sole evaluation criterion when looking at an AD's preformance. I'll give him an incomplete there but high marks in every other aspect of his tenure to date. Easily the most influential AD we have had since Jake.
I really appreciate you well thought out, insightful post. Thank you

AD is responsible for running a nine figure enterprise. Much more complex than whether a failing football coach is replaced in early November vs, late November.

We went through covid without cutting staff or sports. John has developed proteges that have gone on to man AD and Deputy AD positions at other schools. We have upgraded facilities more in the last seven years than in the previous 30. We've replaced iconic coaches in two of our three major revenue sports in the last three years and both seem to be trending in the right direction. We've focused holistically on the wellness of 600 student athletes in a way that few of our peers can match.

There was no financially viable way to make a paradigm change to the football program until this year given the extension that was given to Dino after the 2018 season - an extension that EVERYONE in the fan base was demanding for fear of losing our hot coach to a West Coast school, so he ensured that he did everything in his power to give Dino the components he needed to succeed before making a move. Take a look at the football coaching and support staff roster from 2017 and compare to today if you don't believe that.

Football coaching success is not the sole evaluation criterion when looking at an AD's preformance. I'll give him an incomplete there but high marks in every other aspect of his tenure to date. Easily the most influential AD we have had since Jake.
Your penultimate passage, with which I agree, describes the puzzle. Dino was given the extension that Dungey earned for him, the AD has increased the budget so we now have better facilities and an improved coaching and support staff and yet we keep repeating essentially the same season year after year. The notable constant in this equation is Dino and it is difficult to reject the conclusion that Dino is the central problem with the program or at least the problem that is easiest for the AD to address.

Fair enough.

I realize this can be somewhat subjective. However, FWIW, there’s some articles/info out there on this subject in regards to quantifying what “seasoned” professional may be, and that is one who has 15-20 + years in the ‘same dedicated’ field. In that regard, with his 7 years, he’d fall short.

As with anything in life, one is free to believe what they chose to believe.
15-20 years seems crazy to me. Actually, it’s preposterous. There are people who launch, build and sell wildly successful companies in far less than 15 years. They’re not “seasoned”? Whatever that’s supposed to mean, anyway.

Anyone is free criticize Wildhack. But I find the suggestion that he’s some kind of newbie rube to be silly at this point. He’s been in the job for 7 years. People may not like what he’s doing, but he knows what he’s doing.

Extending Dino was appropriate. However, the terms in that package (which we don’t know the full extent of) is proving to have not been appropriate. If it was, we would’ve made a move last Friday.
Do you think that these terms are somehow wholly unique in college football? That SU wrote a contract that had clauses that were unprecedented in todays environment?

Or, more likely, that the terms were likely to be pretty standard boilerplate stuff that most schools and agents agree to?

Either way, the terms likely have nothing to do with firing him a couple days ago or a couple weeks from now.

What are those 3 jobs? One can't take a stance one way or another without listing them. Is he good at all three? Why does it take him so long (17 hours) to perform those jobs? Why does he even have three jobs? SU is cheap? Mismanagement by the AD? Chances are he can't give 100% to any one job which in turn makes him worse at all three.
Well he runs dome, then they added all construction being done on the hill that goes thru him, and he does all machine work in dome when they have dirt week or changeover from football to basketball. When he retires soon he will be missed dearly.

Well he runs dome, then they added all construction being done on the hill that goes thru him, and he does all machine work in dome when they have dirt week or changeover from football to basketball. When he retires soon he will be missed dearly.
Tom Forgione is supposed to be director of dome operations

If Pete is still getting involved managing all that, then what is Tom doing?

Anyone on this board who criticizes Pete Sala doesn’t understand what he’s accomplished at SU. He’s one of the most important employees at the University. When he retires, he will be a huge loss. Take a look at old pictures of the Dome when it was built in 1980 and compare it to today. There has been so many upgrades that it doesn’t even look like the same facility. He still has ideas how he can improve it. The University spent $11 million to build the Dome with another $15 million coming from the state. Carrier put down a couple million too. This stadium actually cost SU under $10 million to build. That’s unheard of. The upgrades that Pete is responsible for are numerous. They should name the place after him. He’s done a remarkable job and you won’t ever find a greater guy.

So the woman coach got less than gait? That wouldn’t fly and shouldn’t fly. Syracuse isn’t stupid to do that
She 100% should be making less than gait was his last year. She’s what? 27 years old and never was a HC?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom