Worst loss in JB era? | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Worst loss in JB era?

Colgate is better than a lot of those teams. They are KenPom 106. If they get in the top 100 it’s not going to be a bad loss. I also expect them to have a high NET. They were a tougher game on the schedule than people are giving credit for. I don’t care if they’re athletic or not. They knew how to play.

There’s a lot more to basketball than being an athlete. Some of the best basketball players in the world are below average athletes…
A decent man to man defense takes away 50% of those open looks for 3. They will look and fare much worse against teams with a defensive mindset.

A decent man to man defense takes away 50% of those open looks for 3. They will look and fare much worse against teams with a defensive mindset.
Sure. They didn’t shoot 46% against NC State from 3. That never happened.

It already happened.

they were 6 for 32 from 3 against the defensive juggernaut

* looks at notes *

cornell

DePaul 2006. St. John’s in the 2017 season. The 2nd UMass loss at the Dome in 07 or 08. We were up big there too.
All of these were far worse, losing teams and the games were never close

It already happened.

they were 6 for 32 from 3 against the defensive juggernaut

* looks at notes *

cornell
They were 12/28 (42%) against NC State, they’re a man to man team…? Thoughts?

They were 12/28 (42%) against NC State, they’re a man to man team…? Thoughts?
my thoughts are they shot well vs NC state. I didn’t watch the game, so I have no idea what the level of defensive pressure was. nc state was picked to be 9th in the ACC i believe.

"Decent" is the operative word here. If they can't cover out of a 2-3 zone (with mtm principles :)), they sure wouldn't be able to maintain man coverage.

He’s never lost to Colgate. I can’t think of a worse loss under JB. Sure, we’ve had a few bad losses. Cleveland St at the buzzer. But this one seems like the worst because we got completely drilled by a team that we’ve feasted on since for the past 6 decades.
DePaul (whenever that was)

DePaul (whenever that was)
Very apropos that you don’t remember as the following week was the GMAC-driven miracle run to the Big East title. THAT is what you remember from 2006, not the 39 point loss to the Blue Demons.

Things can change in a hurry.

Colgate can play. Not even close to the worst. The worst was DePaul in Devo era. They were horrible. There was also a really bad BC team we lost to.

Very apropos that you don’t remember as the following week was the GMAC-driven miracle run to the Big East title. THAT is what you remember from 2006, not the 39 point loss to the Blue Demons.

Things can change in a hurry.
I do remember. In fact I was in MSG (and the Blarney) all week, but that wasn’t the question.

Why didn’t JB go man to man against a team that kills a zone with their 3 pointy shooting. Would any coach play zone against Syracuse. Maybe only JB
Didn't we stop practicing M2M?
Seems like trying to go to it in the middle of a game, unprepared, would have resulted in an even greater humiliation than this goodly humiliation. I mean, the reasons why we sucked out loud in the zone were because we don't have the skills and characteristics to play man.

It wasn't zone...it was they didn't play the zone well. Gotta play it better.

The boys have to defend and rebound with urgency on every possession. The margins for success are thin and it’s gonna take great effort, focus and execution to win on any given night. We can be good and I expect that JB will get things squared away.

I do think Colgate is a good team. I also think they exposed several weaknesses with this Syracuse team that give me great concern for how this season will play out.

So Colgate is at least the same as they were last year. The question we’re all trying to figure out is if this version of Syracuse basketball is equal or worse to last year’s squad. I’m leaning toward worse, based who we lost and who replaced them.
Both starting guards are a year older and more experienced. Both centers are a year older and more experienced. So your opinion is that the forwards of Cole, Jimmy and Benny are worse than Griffin, Guerrier and Braswell? I’m not disagreeing. I just felt going into the season that they could be roughly equal—better offensively, worse defensively. So maybe a wash. Now I’m not so sure, but the jury is still out. Also, we lost Kadary, so backup guard is a downgrade. But Buddy and Joe are a year older and hopefully better (and hopefully no lost time to Covid), so that’s an upgrade.

I'd take losing to Colgate, who is probably making the NCAA Tournament, over losing to a team like BC or Pitt.

This loss doesn’t hold a candle to that one where we lost by a boatload to DePaul

This loss doesn’t hold a candle to that one where we lost by a boatload to DePaul
I was living in West Palm around then, I remember wearing a long sleeve Cuse T, luckily I had another shirt underneath because I took it off after that loss before I continued my day. Was a day game if I recall and I was already pretty sauced up.

I was living in West Palm around then, I remember wearing a long sleeve Cuse T, luckily I had another shirt underneath because I took it off after that loss before I continued my day. Was a day game if I recall and I was already pretty sauced up.
I was in Maui of all places and it was like over even I woke up

Didn't we stop practicing M2M?
Seems like trying to go to it in the middle of a game, unprepared, would have resulted in an even greater humiliation than this goodly humiliation. I mean, the reasons why we sucked out loud in the zone were because we don't have the skills and characteristics to play man.
The way we press you might be correct

I missed the game, did they do the press when fallen behind? Was the press effective in any way shape or form?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom