wouldn't you love to be a fly on the wall for a lester-shafer conversation? | Syracusefan.com

wouldn't you love to be a fly on the wall for a lester-shafer conversation?

Millhouse

Living Legend
I still can't stand the offense we tried last year and I love this year's offense. you see improvement with dungey in there beyond the improvement that comes with his experience

that said, the differences between those offenses matter a whole lot less than the differences between qbs

i know what i'd be saying if i were them - SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU HAVE TO PLAY MAHONEY BLESS HIS HEART

Shafer was a good guy but it was never going to work.
He recruited the QBs we have now. We would be 4-7 right now with him?
AET won us the UConn game.
We would have beaten BC or VPI?

Shafer was never going to recruit well enough or out scheme the opponent. If he is saying see how hard it is and I doubt he is then I would say you recruited this team. Shafer was not going to shut down the offenses that have lit us up this year.

Shafer was never going to recruit well enough or out scheme the opponent. If he is saying see how hard it is and I doubt he is then I would say you recruited this team. Shafer was not going to shut down the offenses that have lit us up this year.

I think we'd have the exact same record. I give Dino the benefit of the doubt for giving the system an enema and knowing it would create some struggles. I think Shafer, lesser of a coach, would have had the benefit of another season of his system. I think it's a push for season 1.

It's such a stupid argument b/c if we were 4-7 w Shafer, he'd be canned this year and we'd be one year behind.

I still can't stand the offense we tried last year and I love this year's offense. you see improvement with dungey in there beyond the improvement that comes with his experience

that said, the differences between those offenses matter a whole lot less than the differences between qbs

i know what i'd be saying if i were them - SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU HAVE TO PLAY MAHONEY BLESS HIS HEART
I've convinced myself that the season ended after we got to 4 and 4 and were one of the national leaders in passing yards per game and had one of the nation's most productive wide receivers. That's it. That's the year.

I think we'd have the exact same record. I give Dino the benefit of the doubt for giving the system an enema and knowing it would create some struggles. I think Shafer, lesser of a coach, would have had the benefit of another season of his system. I think it's a push for season 1.

It's such a stupid argument b/c if we were 4-7 w Shafer, he'd be canned this year and we'd be one year behind.
and we would likely not be able to land Babers, not sure he would have stuck around Bowling Green for this season given all of the openings last year.

This thread makes no sense. It's almost Thanksgiving. Everyone has moved on. The only people bringing up this topic seem to be the people who loudly wanted Schafer to be fired.

This is Babers' team now, and I support Babers. I won't even consider being critical for at least another year. And if you look at my posting in the past, I've always been like that. I say that now because that approach makes being a fan a whole lot more enjoyable, at least to my mind. Go Cuse!!

This thread makes no sense. It's almost Thanksgiving. Everyone has moved on. The only people bringing up this topic seem to be the people who loudly wanted Schafer to be fired.

This is Babers' team now, and I support Babers. I won't even consider being critical for at least another year. And if you look at my posting in the past, I've always been like that. I say that now because that approach makes being a fan a whole lot more enjoyable, at least to my mind. Go Cuse!!

Moved on yes, but its only human nature for someone to root against the place that fired him.

Yes, makes zero sense . Dino came in and needs 2 years of recruits. If ED could stay healthy , Dino could have success during the "rebuilding". Shafer did somehow recruit some talent : ED, Ish , Erv, Conway , Zaire, Ellison. also Custis if healthy and able to practice and develop.

In all fairness, Scott Shafer recruited Eric Dungey - who I believe won the UConn and BC games- and Steve Clark and Zaire Franklin and Parris Bennett and Ervin Phillips and Brisley Estime and others.

The rest is speculation.

I've convinced myself that the season ended after we got to 4 and 4 and were one of the national leaders in passing yards per game and had one of the nation's most productive wide receivers. That's it. That's the year.

The season ended when Dungey ran a QB keeper versus Clemson.

Ironically, Lester's offense seems to have masked Mahoney's deficiencies a bit better.

Ironically, Lester's offense seems to have masked Mahoney's deficiencies a bit better.

He was hand-picked to run Lester's offense along with ED and Kimble. They all could run well, but Mahoney is def more of an option QB and it shows. That's 100% why we look worse on O with him vs last year.

I'm not being critical of babers. I'm just saying that no one succeeds with a 45% passer

I'm not being critical of babers. I'm just saying that no one succeeds with a 45% passer

I hope that you didn't think that I said you were being critical of Babers because I never meant that.

I get your point about Mahoney. I went ahead and checked the numbers. Mahoney completed 44% of his passes against FSU, but on the season he has completed 52% of his pass attempts.

Also, on Saturday Michigan beat Indiana even though O'Korn competed 44% of his passes.

Last edited:
I imagine that HCSS looks at HCDB and says he has 3-4 years to show improvement. That's the bar both coaches were expected to meet.

In all fairness, Scott Shafer recruited Eric Dungey - who I believe won the UConn and BC games- and Steve Clark and Zaire Franklin and Parris Bennett and Ervin Phillips and Brisley Estime and others.

The rest is speculation.
Greg Robinson recruited Ryan Nassib, Justin Pugh, Chandler Jones, Alec Lemon, Delone Carter.
So this exercise goes both ways. We never going to be good under Greg Robinson just like it wasn't going to work under Shafer.

Greg Robinson recruited Ryan Nassib, Justin Pugh, Chandler Jones, Alec Lemon, Delone Carter.
So this exercise goes both ways. We never going to be good under Greg Robinson just like it wasn't going to work under Shafer.

By good do you mean top-25, top-15? If Babers stays, do you see SU being ranked pre-season? If so, how long will it take?

Lot of truth here... LOVE our offense.

But, this game is less about the x's and o's, more about the Jimmy's and Joe's.

By good do you mean top-25, top-15? If Babers stays, do you see SU being ranked pre-season? If so, how long will it take?
By good I mean winning 8 games in a season.
Gerg was never going to win 8 games in a year.
With Shafer we were hoping for 7-6 years.
That 2013 season was Syracuse maxing out under Shafer.
We never beat a ranked team in those 3 years.
Under Marrone we beat a ranked team every year and Dino has done it in his
First year.
I get the Shafer people love the guy and are now with Dino but I have no problem saying his hiring as HC was unmitigated wrong decision. We are paying for it now.

Preseason rankings aren't going to happen unless we recruit really unexpectedly well.
As preseason rankings are all talent and hype. By year 4 I expect we will be on an upswing a la wWashington State/Colorado. We weren't on an upswing with Shafer. We are mediocre in year 4 and the program is year behind in the rebuild. Dino has our highest recruiting class in 5 years

First year.
I get the Shafer people love the guy and are now with Dino but I have no problem saying his hiring as HC was unmitigated wrong decision. We are paying for it now.

Preseason rankings aren't going to happen unless we recruit really unexpectedly well.
As preseason rankings are all talent and hype. By year 4 I expect we will be on an upswing a la wWashington State/Colorado. We weren't on an upswing with Shafer. We are mediocre in year 4 and the program is year behind in the rebuild. Dino has our highest recruiting class in 5 years

I agree it will take 4 years, even a proven HC like Leach had struggles as well, and WSU isn't an easy place to recruit. Just have to keep recruiting and implementing the system. 6 wins next year would be a fantastic improvement. I think the freshman this year will need to be seniors, u basically have to flip the roster

I'm hoping for 9 win seasons myself, and if SU can avoid the revolving door at the QB position that goes back to 2014 I don't see why Babers won't win 9. Not sure what you mean by being mediocre in year 4. Do you mean right now? This season is Babers' opening act, and this rebuild looks just fine at this point.

I agree it will take 4 years, even a proven HC like Leach had struggles as well, and WSU isn't an easy place to recruit. Just have to keep recruiting and implementing the system. 6 wins next year would be a fantastic improvement. I think the freshman this year will need to be seniors, u basically have to flip the roster

I think it'll take as long as our talent improves and our scheduling maximizes our opportunities. What is glaring to me over the past 15 years or so is how behind the 8 ball we are once conference play begins. Schiano built Rutgers up by playing crap teams and gaining confidence going into conference play. This will be harder b/c the ACC is tougher than the Big East but that blue print will allow us to get into conference play on a high note and probably less injured.

I have faith b/c the scheduling seems to be in line now. If we could get rid of the LSU game (we won't be able to), that would allow us to start this next year.

First year.

Colorado and Washington State had terrible 3rd years , it took both coaches 4 years . Shafer only got 3 and made a bowl in one of the years .

I hope that you didn't think that I said you were being critical of Babers because I never meant that.

I get your point about Mahoney. I went ahead and checked the numbers. Mahoney completed 44% of his passes against FSU, but on the season he has completed 52% of his pass attempts.

Also, on Saturday Michigan beat Indiana even though O'Korn competed 44% of his passes.
yeah, i was just guessing. he's 49% for his career

michigan shut down indiana, that's what michigan does to indiana.

Lot of truth here... LOVE our offense.

But, this game is less about the x's and o's, more about the Jimmy's and Joe's.
it's still x's and o's as long as you're not playing walkons who aren't accurate

it's really unusual that someone like mahoney ever sees the field in d1