wow, big get for the Clippers | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

wow, big get for the Clippers

They have minimal cap flexibility, right? Would PP have to sign for the MLE?

I don't follow the Clips cap space closely, but I do know Doc put them in a bind.

they are down to $59M at the moment. They can let Jamal's team option expire & slot Pierce into that slot ($5.7M), give DJ a max deal and still be under the luxury tax ($81M). They will end up over the tax line when they fill out the roster, but will be under it again next season when it balloons over $100M.

Agreed--and Doc is one of the best in the business at handling big personalities and getting them properly motivated. If anyone can handle a player like Stephenson, it is Doc Rivers.

Yeah, but he is a crap GM.

Yeah, but he is a crap GM.
he just reduced his salary exposure by over $11M, retained the ability to give his marquis free agent a max deal and still got the most talented player in the deal, who also happens to fill a the team's biggest need.

give me more of that "crap."

I get that and see the value, but you have limited time with CP3's knee. Losing one year because Lance takes down the team is a big deal. This is a huge gamble.
It's a huge gamble to stand pat though. Lance has talent. They need to take a risk because they can't "afford" literally and figuratively not to.

Also frees up cap space much earlier. I think it's a great trade by LAC.

he just reduced his salary exposure by over $11M, retained the ability to give his marquis free agent a max deal and still got the most talented player in the deal, who also happens to fill a the team's biggest need.

give me more of that "crap."

Have you seen his other moves? He's been awful as a GM, this move isn't that great either.

This is exactly the type of a team as desperate as the Clippers has to make. They got rid of crap on long-term deals for a guy with a ton of talent. When you have no cap space and no draft picks, this is the best type of move you can make.

If it doesn't work, the team probably wasn't going to get over the hump anyways because they have nothing outside of CP3, Blake, and most likely DeAndre.

Have you seen his other moves? He's been awful as a GM, this move isn't that great either.
Hindsight from peanut gallery is crystal clear, and from those seats we can now judge trading Dudley and signing Hawes as blunders. But the fact is, in their totality, his moves turned his team into one of the 4 or 5 best squads in the Association.

you can quibble with some of his moves, but to look at where his team sits and call it "crap" is either ignorant or just agenda-driven.

Hindsight from peanut gallery is crystal clear, and from those seats we can now judge trading Dudley and signing Hawes as blunders. But the fact is, in their totality, his moves turned his team into one of the 4 or 5 best squads in the Association.

you can quibble with some of his moves, but to look at where his team sits and call it "crap" is either ignorant or just agenda-driven.

I actually thought the Hawes signing was fantastic at the time. A stretch five that can give you another three point threat on the second team? Open up the lane? Seemed like a unique asset to be able to use on an exciting team.

Didn't work out.

The issue is that he's in a real tough spot with the cap now and while they may be one of the top five teams in the league, without a bench, they aren't real contenders.

You can't win with 7 guys, especially trying to come out of the west.

I actually thought the Hawes signing was fantastic at the time. A stretch five that can give you another three point threat on the second team? Open up the lane? Seemed like a unique asset to be able to use on an exciting team.

Didn't work out.

The issue is that he's in a real tough spot with the cap now and while they may be one of the top five teams in the league, without a bench, they aren't real contenders.

You can't win with 7 guys, especially trying to come out of the west.

of course, but it's far from a finished project; if they decline Crawford & Hudson (likely), they've only got 6 under contract; re-sign DJ and it is 7. Balmer is willing to pay the repeater tax, so if they are creative, they are not as capped as it appears (you can go over the cap to re-sign you own guys, so they have room to add people before DJ's deal gets added).

They are going to be adding another half dozen new pieces in the next few weeks; this is where Doc makes his name as a GM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom