Yale Game Thread... | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Yale Game Thread...

Its a good thing only one stat matters, the final score, the team was dominated by Yale last night. Just looking over the box score you would think Cuse lost by 5+. They need to improve on these things if they want to win next Sunday.

GBs: 33-20
Shots: 42-29
SOGs: 25-16
Faceoffs: 18-4

Agreed but almost if not most of the disparity can be traced back to the X. Yale had a huge GB disparity their and they also peppered Molloy early as they had 20 shots at the end of the 1st quarter but only had 22 the rest of the game. Clearly we need to be better at the X because there's no way we will hold up like that against Ohio State or Duke should we beat Towson.

Its a good thing only one stat matters, the final score, the team was dominated by Yale last night. Just looking over the box score you would think Cuse lost by 5+. They need to improve on these things if they want to win next Sunday.

Meh...when I look at those stats the first thing that comes to mind is how incredibly inefficient Yale is.

Meh...when I look at those stats the first thing that comes to mind is how incredibly inefficient Yale is.
Right, which means any efficient team (read anybody else left in the tournament) will kill SU if they don't solve the F/O problem.

Right, which means any efficient team (read anybody else left in the tournament) will kill SU if they don't solve the /O problem.

I said this earlier in the game. It would be really helpful if the officials would put on an earlier shot clock. This is true for both teams. So many of the Yale shots were significantly over the net or not close to the cage just to keep the perception that they were working it to the net. Most of the goals seemed to happen right as the team was tiring near the end of the possessions. The defense must be in good shape.

Right, which means any efficient team (read anybody else left in the tournament) will kill SU if they don't solve the /O problem.

One would think, but they haven't been killed yet. People have been saying this all year long. If I remember correctly they weren't expected to be here at all this year. But they keep digging deep and finding a way. They have lots of work to do, problems to solve, and a tough road ahead but from what I've seen if anyone can do it, it's this team!

and they were. A lot of their shots were just garbage shots, nowhere near the cage, and the ground ball disparity was in good part because of all the ground balls from the face offs. the also had a bunch of errant passes that they got ground balls on with no defense around them. All the stats except at the X were very deceiving.

will kill SU? not quite and who exactly are those highly efficient teams? Syracuse has already beaten 3 out of the 7 teams left.

will kill SU? not quite and who exactly are those highly efficient teams? Syracuse has already beaten 3 out of the 7 teams left.

Yes, but as an highly respected (read: Overpaid, arrogant) ESPN announcer has pointed out, they were one-point games that do not really count. We're still waiting on the NCAA to determine whether the win last night counted because this announcer determined that one-point games do not really count... ;) :bat:

Agreed, These kids keep finding ways to win, which is what champions do. I would like an improvement at the X and I believe that BW is hurting, but I would not count these kids out until the final horn sounds and they less points on the board. These kids did well in OT, too, if I recall.

Top remaining faceoff guys

#1 Trevor Baptiste – Denver

#2 TD Irelan – Albany

#3 Jake Withers – Ohio State

#9 Alex Woodall – Towson – questionable

#13 Kyle Rowe – Duke

#28 Ben Williams - Syracuse

at the end of the day aren't faceoffs a coaching thing?

no it isn't. you can teach guys different techniques and moves but at the end of the day it's about individual speed, quickness and/or strength. A guy with the best moves can be .000001 seconds late on the whistle and that's all the advantage the other guy needs.

there are moves to counter moves but again it comes down to the individual. some guys are just better and no amount of coaching is going to change that.

the one thing I will say about coaching is who they run out there on the wings and where those wings are placed. It made ZERO sense to have our short stick all the way down on the defensive side of the ball and the Yale guy lining up right on the 50 yard line. He picked up at least 2 unchallenged ground balls because of it. I get it you want to prevent a fast break but you might be conceding the possession. Their wing guy A) has a shorter distance to run to the ball and B) isn't being challenged. Yale wasn't winning the faceoffs and then charging into a fast break so I would've played them evenly on the wing.

One big play at X last night was at the end. We lost the last draw but Williams (whoever it was) forced them to throw it back to the goalie and have to clear it. That was huge and they spent a lot precious time just trying to clear the ball after that draw.

Last edited:
no it isn't. you can teach guys different techniques and moves but at the end of the day it's about individual speed, quickness and/or strength. A guy with the best moves can be .000001 seconds late on the whistle and that's all the advantage the other guy needs.

there are moves to counter moves but again it comes down to the individual. some guys are just better and no amount of coaching is going to change that.

the one thing I will say about coaching is who they run out there on the wings and where those wings are placed. It made ZERO sense to have our short stick all the way down on the defensive side of the ball and the Yale guy lining up right on the 50 yard line. He picked up at least 2 unchallenged ground balls because of it. I get it you want to prevent a fast break but you might be conceding the possession. Their wing guy A) has a shorter distance to run to the ball and B) isn't being challenged. Yale wasn't winning the faceoffs and then charging into a fast break so I would've played them evenly on the wing.

One big play at X last night was at the end. We lost the last draw but Williams (whoever it was) forced them to throw back to the goalie and have to clear it. That was huge and they spent a lot precious time just trying to clear the ball after that draw.

Your 100% right on the wing placement and our wing strategy once the whistle blows. Several times last night the faceoff became a scrum and it ended up being a 2 on 3 because our other wing player was so far away.

Your 100% right on the wing placement and our wing strategy once the whistle blows. Several times last night the faceoff became a scrum and it ended up being a 2 on 3 because our other wing player was so far away.
Wing placement likely result of average wing play this year That will have to improve going forward. Think Ben is not 100% but healthy enuff to play. Week off can only help

All the stats except at the X were very deceiving.[/QUOTE]

well the possession time wasn't deceiving. can't score without the ball !

williams and mellen were both preseason all americans. mellen is gone and BW hurt.

You want to see a tale of deceiving stats ... Look up the 2013 Bryant game.

Massa won 22-23 FOs, and Bryant had a 35-23 advantage in ground balls.

Yet Syracuse won 12-7.

You want to see a tale of deceiving stats ... Look up the 2013 Bryant game.

Massa won 22-23 FOs, and Bryant had a 35-23 advantage in ground balls.

Yet Syracuse won 12-7.

The following year SU won nearly half the draws and lost the game. Sometimes faceoffs aren't the whole story but the 2013 champ game shows at other times it is. You have to evaluate it on a game by game basis.

our X factor was malloy. he was superb and the ONLY reason we won. hope he's got a couple more stops in him. this is a game we should have lost. dodge bullit and move on.

All the stats except at the X were very deceiving.

well the possession time wasn't deceiving. can't score without the ball ![/QUOTE]

And that's because Yale plays so slow going 3 and 4 minutes a possession. It was total crap that the officials let them play that way. Should have had about 8 stalls put on.

our X factor was malloy. he was superb and the ONLY reason we won. hope he's got a couple more stops in him. this is a game we should have lost. dodge bullit and move on.

Why should we have lost the game? We were up 2 goals late.

malloy had 15 saves. practically the entire game was played with yale on attack.
what game did you watch ? we got a buzzer beater that was reviewed and an open gift to evans. we were outplayed yesterday. and lucky to move on. that's what i saw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom