Class of 2014 - Zaire Franklin | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Zaire Franklin

Does anyone understand how points are assigned on the other sites?

How can two teams with the same exact number of recruits with the same exact star-ratings have different "point" totals? Is there some kind of subjective scoring going on?
Rivals 3 stars are 5.5-5.7 Franklin is high 3 , aj is mid, and nas is low. I believe that's the difference? I believe some do bonuses and stuff , but I get really lost there

Different point values which have nothing to do with stars. The lowest ranked 4 star isnt worth much more than the highest ranked 3 star. Pretty sure it goes on overall ranking so the #20 ranked 3 star is worth more than the #70 ranked 3 star. Most sites have some sort of explanation of their scoring system.
I had no idea that's how it worked. So say Zaire is a high 3, but is the #20 LB, does that mean his point value is higher then say a low 4 star tackle who is only ranked 55 at his position?

I had no idea that's how it worked. So say Zaire is a high 3, but is the #20 LB, does that mean his point value is higher then say a low 4 star tackle who is only ranked 55 at his position?

It won't work out that way. The reason the star system is flawed is those site give out x amount of stars per year. Might be 10 5stars, 50 4 stars, and 200 3 stars or whatever so the #55 tackle won't be a 4 star even if he's a superior prospect to the #20 LB. Doesn't matter if that particular position is loaded one year and barren the next. Essentially a 4 star in 2012 might not actually be as good as a 3 star in 2013 if the 2013 class has 4x as many elite prospects at said position.

Looking at the old site it appears they give ~50 WR's 4 star or higher grades. The 5 stars might be given out as a total number across all positions like the top 50 overall?

I thought Sco.uts.com's point value system also took in consideration position need.

I thought Sco.uts.com's point value system also took in consideration position need.

Not sure at this point honestly. Looked at 2012 and 2013 WR's briefly and between 3-5 5 stars each year and ~50 per year get 4 star or higher. The 52nd ranked WR would get a 3 star but is he really that much worse than the 44th ranked WR?

Sorry I have developed a bad habit of thread hijacking.

I'm ecstatic we landed Franklin. This guy looks like a great player/athlete and I feared he was holding out for a Penn State offer being a PA kid. Looks like PSU landed another OLB about a month ago and hasn't offered any others since so this may be a case of where their scholarship loss is our gain. Franklin appears to have had a lot of big schools circling but not yet offering so he may have been option 1a on a lot of boards after their presumed bigger fish make decisions. Most selector schools aren't machine gunning offers out this early in the process. Hope we keep him until signing day!

For arguments sake let's say that is a true statement...where the hell does skout or ryvals get off determining a "position of need" for any college team?

I'll take our coaches evaluation any day, thank you very much! Most of those guys (i.e. Farrel, 30-second Bob, et al) are hucksters.

I will love to get Custis out of Philly too.

What do you think our chances are with Custis? Kind of neat w/ the Scoop and RJ connection w/ his high school and wonder if that helps us at all here.

I'm ecstatic we landed Franklin. This guy looks like a great player/athlete and I feared he was holding out for a Penn State offer being a PA kid. Looks like PSU landed another OLB about a month ago and hasn't offered any others since so this may be a case of where their scholarship loss is our gain. Franklin appears to have had a lot of big schools circling but not yet offering so he may have been option 1a on a lot of boards after their presumed bigger fish make decisions. Most selector schools aren't machine gunning offers out this early in the process. Hope we keep him until signing day!

That's ok. At least it was an informative hijacking. :)

What do you think our chances are with Custis? Kind of neat w/ the Scoop and RJ connection w/ his high school and wonder if that helps us at all here.

I know when ever we had a kid go to a good school for any sport it made all the athletes pay attention to how they did at that school which then made us all aware of that school. I would expect the same in this case, and since Scoop and Rick were big names for 4 years that must at least give us a little edge, right?

I was wrong. Here's how Sc.out does their ranking by team:

How does Scout come up with the player rankings?
Scout works from the grass roots and then reports up. We have a Team of Scouts around the country including local scouts that work smaller areas that submit their rankings to a regional manager. The regional manager will compile the rankings from the local scouts in his area then submit his compiled list to the National Editors. A final conference call between the regional managers and the national editors results in a compiled list of national rankings.

Team Rankings
Team Rankings are a math formula that based on a player's rating and his rankings. 5-Star is a rating, No. 1 quarterback is his ranking.

5 Star = 200 points
4 Star = 120 points
3 Star = 40 points
2 Star = 20 points

The No. 1 player at a position is worth 100 points, counting down to the last ranked player at his position to 0.

For Example, assuming Scout ranks 100 quarterbacks.

5-Star, No. 1 QB = 300 points
4-Star, No. 10 QB = 210 points
3-Star, No. 50 QB = 90 points
2-Star, No. 75 QB = 45 points

The Team Rankings are compiled of the Top 25 players per class. Some teams will over-sign, but only 25 count towards the Team Rankings.

Not sure. I know he is well aware of the connection his school has with Cuse. We offered him last week so it may take some time for the staff to the develop that relationship.

I know when ever we had a kid go to a good school for any sport it made all the athletes pay attention to how they did at that school which then made us all aware of that school. I would expect the same in this case, and since Scoop and Rick were big names for 4 years that must at least give us a little edge, right?

I'm hoping so. It's a nice recruiting area to get into. I live in SE PA and there is more than just hoops talent down here.

I'm hoping so. It's a nice recruiting area to get into. I live in SE PA and there is more than just hoops talent down here.
yeah it seems like SE PA kids gets all the comparisons of NYC kids.

Michigan was starting to show increased interest with Franklin during the past couple weeks. I thought I remembered seeing ND as well.

yeah it seems like SE PA kids gets all the comparisons of NYC kids.

Perhaps Nassib and Pugh have the staff convinced to look harder at this area? Shady McCoy is from Harrisburg but from McDevitt across to Philly there are players to be had. A lot of lineman out of coal country which served us well with Emerich. It's similar to the blue collar, hardnosed guys we pull from Pittsburgh. It's a smaller population but they live and die with football there. On my way up to Cuse on friday nights there is high school football all across the AM radio waves.

Michigan was starting to show increased interest with Franklin during the past couple weeks. I thought I remembered seeing ND as well.

Yeah sounds like a numbers game and I'm glad he committed when he did because eventually other big schools would offer and potentially delay the process.

Perhaps Nassib and Pugh have the staff convinced to look harder at this area? Shady McCoy is from Harrisburg but from McDevitt across to Philly there are players to be had. A lot of lineman out of coal country which served us well with Emerich. It's similar to the blue collar, hardnosed guys we pull from Pittsburgh. It's a smaller population but they live and die with football there. On my way up to Cuse on friday nights there is high school football all across the AM radio waves.
Thanks for the info. Wasnt aware of that.

Thanks for the info. Wasnt aware of that.

Sure thing. Quick glance of bigger schools (AAAA and AAA) that are very good every year in that region:

Central Dauphin (Harrisburg)
Lasalle College HS (Wyndmoor, NW Philly suburb) where Zaire Franklin plays
North Penn (Lansdale)
Easton (Allentown area)
Wilson (Reading) Alum Kerry Collins built them a new gym a few years back
Cumberland Valley (Harrisburg)
Bishop McDevitt (Harrisburg) McCoy and many other D1 players
Lancaster Catholic (Lancaster) A/AA enrollment school but plays AAA since they embarass smaller schools and have been doing the same in AAA. BC has grabbed some from here in recent memory and likely other schools. Private school that recruits the entire county.
Manheim Central (Lancaster) sends most of it's elite players to Penn State, sent Jeff Smoker to Michigan State. Public school that recruits behind the scenes.
Pottsgrove (Pottstown)

Not sure what all of them have as far as D1 talent year to year but all seem to be in the state playoffs year to year and likely have rosters worth skimming each year. I grew up and played HS football in Lancaster which is how I know of Central and Catholic trying to recruit players. Im not as familiar with the top Philly football schools but likely some other board members can help out there.

Smaller schools (coal region) are tougher to sort through. If you watch the state rankings you can see which schools have one or more stud athlete in a given year usually being a house of an O/D lineman like Emerich from Blue Mountain HS outside of Pottstown.

Paqualoni used to recruit the heck out of the Philly area, so it's nice to get back down there. Great get. Welcome aboard Zaire Franklin.

Sure thing. Quick glance of bigger schools (AAAA and AAA) that are very good every year in that region:

Central Dauphin (Harrisburg)
Lasalle College HS (Wyndmoor, NW Philly suburb) where Zaire Franklin plays
North Penn (Lansdale)
Easton (Allentown area)
Wilson (Reading) Alum Kerry Collins built them a new gym a few years back
Cumberland Valley (Harrisburg)
Bishop McDevitt (Harrisburg) McCoy and many other D1 players
Lancaster Catholic (Lancaster) A/AA enrollment school but plays AAA since they embarass smaller schools and have been doing the same in AAA. BC has grabbed some from here in recent memory and likely other schools. Private school that recruits the entire county.
Manheim Central (Lancaster) sends most of it's elite players to Penn State, sent Jeff Smoker to Michigan State. Public school that recruits behind the scenes.
Pottsgrove (Pottstown)

Not sure what all of them have as far as D1 talent year to year but all seem to be in the state playoffs year to year and likely have rosters worth skimming each year. I grew up and played HS football in Lancaster which is how I know of Central and Catholic trying to recruit players. Im not as familiar with the top Philly football schools but likely some other board members can help out there.

Smaller schools (coal region) are tougher to sort through. If you watch the state rankings you can see which schools have one or more stud athlete in a given year usually being a house of an O/D lineman like Emerich from Blue Mountain HS outside of Pottstown.
besides marvin harrison who are some other notables players we got out of the philly area?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom