“I don’t care about the record…” - Jim Boeheim | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

“I don’t care about the record…” - Jim Boeheim

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get what you're saying, but I'll chime in.

I think we would have killed for a guy like this coming off the bench on some of those Tyus Battle teams, to provide depth and complimentary scoring.

Maybe, and those teams were lacking in that department...but looking over the rosters Matt Moyer, limited as he was, gave more on the interior; Dolezaj obviously was well-rounded; he couldn't have played over Brissett; and even Braswell was arguably superior on offense. And all of those guys weren't net negatives on defense.

It probably can't be stated enough just how far the talent level has dropped; I'm looking at names like Matt Moyer and Taurean Thompson and thinking "wow, relative to ACC peers, he'd be one of the three or four best players on this team."

No.

Your post I replied to was about how most programs would kill for our decline. And my point, again, was that most programs don’t have a head coach who has picked up two major probations and still kept said coach employed.

Many people here suggested that our “decline” was triggered by probation. A probation that JB is fortunate didn’t cause his termination.
Agreed. He's fortunate to have kept his job. His record to the point of the sanctions probably worked in his favor with the AD and chancellor.

Maybe, and those teams were lacking in that department...but looking over the rosters Matt Moyer, limited as he was, gave more on the interior; Dolezaj obviously was well-rounded; he couldn't have played over Brissett; and even Braswell was arguably superior on offense. And all of those guys weren't net negatives on defense.

It probably can't be stated enough just how far the talent level has dropped; I'm looking at names like Matt Moyer and Taurean Thompson and thinking "wow, relative to ACC peers, he'd be one of the three or four best players on this team."

Good point overall, even though we disagree on behind being a bench contributor.

Given the talent drop I find it humorous that people are talking about what great recruiters the two guys in the bench will be if they had the opportunity to run the program.

It's a joke.

No.

Your post I replied to was about how most programs would kill for our decline. And my point, again, was that most programs don’t have a head coach who has picked up two major probations and still kept said coach employed.

Many people here suggested that our “decline” was triggered by probation. A probation that JB is fortunate didn’t cause his termination.
I don’t think many fans of other programs would care about inheriting past probations.

Maybe this will add a positive note to this thread if you care to look at this authors take on our 9 best teams all time.

Want great players or have memories of some of the best, it's here.

Thank you for posting, that article/ranking is a fantastic walk down memory lane.

At 77, Syracuse’s Jim Boeheim Is Still Confounding And Inspiring His Coaching Brethren
Adam Zagoria

Contributor

I'm a basketball and tennis insider

Jay Wright has won two of the last five NCAA championships, but he still had to break out some old film to prepare his No. 6-ranked Villanova team for facing the Syracuse zone on Tuesday night in the Jimmy V Classic at Madison Square Garden.

“You don’t play against anybody that plays the zone as well as they do, and this year they’re even adding a 1-3-1 which is pretty effective,” Wright said. “It brings a whole new challenge to playing them.”

Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim turned 77 on Nov. 17 and has been the head coach at his alma mater since 1976 — when Gerald Ford was in the White House — yet he’s still finding new ways to confound and inspire opposing coaches.

While his 70-something colleagues Roy Williams and Mike Krzyzewski have either retired or are about to, Boeheim has shown no indication that he will retire anytime soon. Unlike Coach K, who designated Jon Scheyer as his heir apparent a full year in advance, Boeheim has no succession plan in place.

While other former Big East schools like Pittsburgh and Boston College have struggled in the ACC, Boeheim has led the Orange to two Sweet 16s (2018, ‘21) and a Final Four (2016) in the last five years the NCAA Tournament was held. Last spring, led by Buddy “Buckets” Boeheim, the Orange reached the Sweet 16. This season, Jimmy Boeheim joined his brother as a graduate transfer from Cornell, so Jim is now coaching both of his sons at once. Their mother, Juli, some 20-plus years younger than Jim, is a fountain of positive energy for the family.

“Do you know how many people would dream about going to two Sweet 16s, two Final Fours and an Elite Eight? In 10 years, I think that’s pretty good,” Buddy Boeheim said last March. “He continues to do it. He’s one of the best coaches in all of sports. There’s no doubt about it.”

Boeheim’s 987 career wins rank second all-time to Coach K (he would have well over 1,000 had the NCAA not penalized him 101 wins as a result of a multi-year investigation into the university's athletic programs). After some early struggles this season — the Orange lost at home to Colgate by 15 points last month — Syracuse enters the Villanova game on a two-game winning streak with a double-overtime win over Indiana and a victory at ACC rival Florida State.

“It’s not just that he’s still going, it’s the way that he does it,” Wright, 59, said of Boeheim. “I wish people would know how hard he works in recruiting. You see him at all the events, you see him out all the time at games, seeing guys play.

“It’s always kind of motivating to me. At his age, if he’s still doing it like this, he‘s still working hard, we’ve gotta keep going to keep up with him. .That’s really the way you look at it, you gotta try to keep up with him.”

Wright has lived and traveled with Boeheim as part of USA Basketball and said a big key to his longevity is the way he takes care of himself.

“Jim is amazing to me and I have spent enough time with him to know his energy,” Wright said. “He’s actually a pretty healthy guy. He takes care of himself, he’s smart. In USA Basketball, I lived with him, went to Brazil with him, watched how he operates.

“He eats healthy, he doesn’t drink, he works out, he’s smart and he’s a really, really competitive guy. He’s one of the guys I’ve learned as much from him as anybody. A lot of the experience I had in USA Basketball was because of him. He got me the opportunities, he got me with the National team. He’s been great to me so he’s one of my idols.”

To be clear, Boeheim still has his trademark grumpy moments with reporters, referees and players — and has a penchant for being brutally honest at times.

While some have speculated that Boeheim might hang it up after his sons leave the program — Buddy is a senior and Jimmy a graduate student transfer — Boeheim told me in June he’s not going anywhere.

“I’m definitely coaching longer, definitely coaching, I’m not thinking about not coaching at all.”

Asked if he could coach until he’s 80, Boeheim said, “I could. I’m going to try. If it works, it works. They said in 2011-12, I’d be done in two years, so I guess they weren’t right, you know?”

Boeheim has a complete five-man recruiting class coming in next year that he has said is his best ever. He’s already told those recruits he will be here to coach them.

In the meantime, Boeheim will keep going and keep confounding opposing coaches with the zone.

“These guys haven’t seen it and it really is rare so it will be a difficult challenge for our guys,” Wright said. “It’s always a tough game when you play Syracuse.”

Asked if he could imagine coaching until he’s 77, the Villanova coach said with a smile, “No, not because I wouldn’t want to. I know I don’t take care of myself as well as he does.”

Adam Zagoria
Follow

Adam Zagoria is a Basketball and Tennis insider who contributes to The New York Times, NJ Advance Media and newspapers nationwide...

The board may be the judge with any comments on this article or not. I think it's a more revealing look at JB esp. from Jay Wright's comments.

*W 1098, L 425, .721

* excludes 101 vacated wins by NCAA

At 77, Syracuse’s Jim Boeheim Is Still Confounding And Inspiring His Coaching Brethren
Adam Zagoria

Contributor

Jay Wright has won two of the last five NCAA championships, but he still had to break out some old film to prepare his No. 6-ranked Villanova team for facing the Syracuse zone on Tuesday night in the Jimmy V Classic at Madison Square Garden.

“You don’t play against anybody that plays the zone as well as they do, and this year they’re even adding a 1-3-1 which is pretty effective,” Wright said. “It brings a whole new challenge to playing them.”

Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim turned 77 on Nov. 17 and has been the head coach at his alma mater since 1976 — when Gerald Ford was in the White House — yet he’s still finding new ways to confound and inspire opposing coaches.

While his 70-something colleagues Roy Williams and Mike Krzyzewski have either retired or are about to, Boeheim has shown no indication that he will retire anytime soon. Unlike Coach K, who designated Jon Scheyer as his heir apparent a full year in advance, Boeheim has no succession plan in place.

While other former Big East schools like Pittsburgh and Boston College have struggled in the ACC, Boeheim has led the Orange to two Sweet 16s (2018, ‘21) and a Final Four (2016) in the last five years the NCAA Tournament was held. Last spring, led by Buddy “Buckets” Boeheim, the Orange reached the Sweet 16. This season, Jimmy Boeheim joined his brother as a graduate transfer from Cornell, so Jim is now coaching both of his sons at once. Their mother, Juli, some 20-plus years younger than Jim, is a fountain of positive energy for the family.

“Do you know how many people would dream about going to two Sweet 16s, two Final Fours and an Elite Eight? In 10 years, I think that’s pretty good,” Buddy Boeheim said last March. “He continues to do it. He’s one of the best coaches in all of sports. There’s no doubt about it.”

Boeheim’s 987 career wins rank second all-time to Coach K (he would have well over 1,000 had the NCAA not penalized him 101 wins as a result of a multi-year investigation into the university's athletic programs). After some early struggles this season — the Orange lost at home to Colgate by 15 points last month — Syracuse enters the Villanova game on a two-game winning streak with a double-overtime win over Indiana and a victory at ACC rival Florida State.

“It’s not just that he’s still going, it’s the way that he does it,” Wright, 59, said of Boeheim. “I wish people would know how hard he works in recruiting. You see him at all the events, you see him out all the time at games, seeing guys play.

“It’s always kind of motivating to me. At his age, if he’s still doing it like this, he‘s still working hard, we’ve gotta keep going to keep up with him. .That’s really the way you look at it, you gotta try to keep up with him.”

Wright has lived and traveled with Boeheim as part of USA Basketball and said a big key to his longevity is the way he takes care of himself.

“Jim is amazing to me and I have spent enough time with him to know his energy,” Wright said. “He’s actually a pretty healthy guy. He takes care of himself, he’s smart. In USA Basketball, I lived with him, went to Brazil with him, watched how he operates.

“He eats healthy, he doesn’t drink, he works out, he’s smart and he’s a really, really competitive guy. He’s one of the guys I’ve learned as much from him as anybody. A lot of the experience I had in USA Basketball was because of him. He got me the opportunities, he got me with the National team. He’s been great to me so he’s one of my idols.”

To be clear, Boeheim still has his trademark grumpy moments with reporters, referees and players — and has a penchant for being brutally honest at times.

While some have speculated that Boeheim might hang it up after his sons leave the program — Buddy is a senior and Jimmy a graduate student transfer — Boeheim told me in June he’s not going anywhere.

“I’m definitely coaching longer, definitely coaching, I’m not thinking about not coaching at all.”

Asked if he could coach until he’s 80, Boeheim said, “I could. I’m going to try. If it works, it works. They said in 2011-12, I’d be done in two years, so I guess they weren’t right, you know?”

Boeheim has a complete five-man recruiting class coming in next year that he has said is his best ever. He’s already told those recruits he will be here to coach them.

In the meantime, Boeheim will keep going and keep confounding opposing coaches with the zone.

“These guys haven’t seen it and it really is rare so it will be a difficult challenge for our guys,” Wright said. “It’s always a tough game when you play Syracuse.”

Asked if he could imagine coaching until he’s 77, the Villanova coach said with a smile, “No, not because I wouldn’t want to. I know I don’t take care of myself as well as he does.”

Adam Zagoria
Follow

Adam Zagoria is a Basketball and Tennis insider who contributes to The New York Times, NJ Advance Media and newspapers nationwide...

The board may be the judge with any comments on this article or not. I think it's a more revealing look at JB esp. from Jay Wright's comments.

*W 1098, L 425, .721

Zags. Amazing he gets bylines in The NY Times.

Adam Zagoria

Contributor

Adam Zagoria
Follow

*W 1098, L 425, .721

Great article by Zags. Thanks for posting! You are lighting it up, SWC75 is wondering how you’re getting these before he finds them.

The only thing more depressing than this season’s disappointing record has been this ‘fan’ message board. Anyone with half a brain, maybe a quarter of a brain, knew that JB was speaking as a father after his sons last game at home. Of course he didn’t like this year’s record as he clearly stated, but he has EVERY right as Buddy and Jimmy’s father to be proud of his sons. Who wouldn’t be? Nice how many like to parse anything he says and convolute it into supposedly something just horrific. So strange how way too many cheer for those who leave SU yet jeer for those who stay.

This thread is absurd. Obviously none of you have children. Coach was talking about his kids on Senior day and expressed what a joy it’s been to coach them. You are taking his comment way too literally. He was emphasizing point of how special the memories of coaching his kids will be for him and them.

Buddy’s career has been pretty remarkable. You guys talk about him like he’s junk and just the coaches son. He’s a top 30 player all time here. Considering where he started, I’m proud of that. I’m proud of that and I’m not his dad. That should be the talking point here, not Boeheim’s comment

Great article by Zags. Thanks for posting! You are lighting it up, SWC75 is wondering how you’re getting these before he finds them.

Because it's an article from last December.

i believe jb wants to win more than most of us. he just couldn't win. he has been a bad coach for while. this year he was horrible. he has not recruited well, or Allowed players to develop. he has deteriorated to publicly humiliating and degrading players. i hope that he will review his behavior and coaching. he will need to dramatically change including his recruiting and retention thereof.
Maybe he will just call it a day--and become a elder statesman bball show personality. that would be best ---he would be very good at that.

He doesn't like the record we had this year but it was a pleasure coaching his sons. The poor record doesn't change that.

Nothing to see here. Move on.

Go to the 3:20 mark and see if winning this game mattered to Jim:

Last edited:
Or maybe -- hear me out -- maybe the fans who want the coach to go away aren't just focused on "the first losing season in 46 years" as a micro issue, but on the macro problems associated with the program being on an extended period of substantial decline over an eight year span.

Stuff that the perspective you express above purposely ignores, since you're wearing these:

shopping

I'm tired of the polyanna-ish head in the sand avoidance of the elephant in the room. The program is not performing at an acceptable level. The dysfunction within the program is manifesting in what we're seeing play out on the court. And nothing is going to change as long as the person responsible for running the program steps away.

My point was that people looking at this program without whatever glasses you and I were wearing might find getting rid of a coach after his first losing record in 46 years might find that a strange thing to do.

By the way, I'm the Upside/Downside guy. You seem to just be the Downside guy lately.

Last edited:
My point was that people looking at this program without whatever glasses you and I were wearing might find getting rid of a coach after his first losing record in 46 years might find that a strange thing to do.
Again you are making the frustration appear like its about one losing year.

It’s not.
This HC is 77 years old. The program has gone 2 ENTIRE CLASSES of students without playing a conference game as a ranked team at the Dome.

When does that stuff factor in.

There is a portion of this fanbase which acts like loyalty is a one way street.
The loyalty has been returned.

I bet if a poll was conducted an over majority of fans would be ready for change at HC. While appreciating all the current HC has done.

Don't care about the record??

I don't care to watch anymore.

Went skiing with a bunch of diehard SU fans on Saturday and we skied through the entire game.

Think we made a good decision.

I'm not so diehard I've never missed a game or whatnot... happens when traveling, family event conflicts, etc., but this is the first time in forever I decided to do something else with my time instead of watching the game... and it wound up being a lot more fun.

Last edited:
Again you are making the frustration appear like its about one losing year.

It’s not.
This HC is 77 years old. The program has gone 2 ENTIRE CLASSES of students without playing a conference game as a ranked team at the Dome.

When does that stuff factor in.

There is a portion of this fanbase which acts like loyalty is a one way street.
The loyalty has been returned.

I bet if a poll was conducted an over majority of fans would be ready for change at HC. While appreciating all the current HC has done.

I know what the frustration is about. I share it. The fact remains that getting rid of a coach after his first losing season after 45 winners in a row seems a bit intolerant when you look at it, even with the frustration.

I know what the frustration is about. I share it. The fact remains that getting rid of a coach after his first losing season after 45 winners in a row seems a bit intolerant when you look at it, even with the frustration.
Your framing isn't fair, IMHO.

Many people aren't saying to get rid of JB because he had one losing season. Rather, they're noting that the program's results have been eroding for several seasons now, both on the court, and in recruiting.

There is also a fear that with every passing season of said erosion, it'll be more difficult to return to our previous level of success. Personally, I think that fear is overblown.

And I'm a realist, there's zero chance JB is ousted before he's good and ready to go.

But the framing isn't fair.

And the fact that you ignore everything else to myopically focus on that one data point shows that you aren't seeing the bigger picture.

Honestly, you‘ve been the one concerned about the losing season more than anyone else.

Should SU wait until next year when he has his second? How many losing seasons in a row will cause you to finally call for him to retire?

I can’t believe we are having this discussion about a coach who will be older than most of the grandfathers of the recruits we are bringing in next year.

Can we please dispense with the "wanting to win". Everyone everywhere wants to win at whatever they do.

I have no doubt JB wants to win. That and $2 gets you a cup of coffee.

His job isn't to want to win, it's to win.

Should SU wait until next year when he has his second? How many losing seasons in a row will cause you to finally call for him to retire?

I can’t believe we are having this discussion about a coach who will be older than most of the grandfathers of the recruits we are bringing in next year.

JB is one of my sports heroes. He's been the coach longer than I've been alive, and I don't know anything else than him being at the helm.

That doesn't mean that I always agreed 100% with everything he does, just that I revered the man for all of the joy he's indirectly brought to my life, given that SU is my main sports passion.

There was a time on this forum when there were very few detractors. JB was kicking butt, our teams were competitive nationally, etc. Sure, he might not have had the highest of highs that some coaches have, but he always avoided the lows that they experience, as well. We were good -- consistently good. And for most, that was enough.

It used to be that JB's detractors were few and far between on the forum. Sure, you had outliers like Igor -- but they were usually agenda driven [such as Moose being consistently anti-zone]. And for a long time, that's kind of how it was. Sure, people might express dissatisfaction here and there, but mostly everyone was behind JB.

I remember feeling panicked when the scandal broke in 2011, fearing that JB would be fired. And being jubilant that the team responded with a 30-1 regular season record that felt like a giant FU to ESPN, and making the final four in 2013. I loved the UVa game in 2016 -- reveling in not just the joy of winning, but loving our team / players and the coach.

But all good things eventually come to an end. And the current has begun to turn -- not because our fanbase is anti-JB or being "childish" as SWC claimed, but rather because we're tired of the results not being on par with what they once were. And this isn't "one bad year," it's rapidly approaching a decade of decline.

So when I see an ever-increasing group of posters who are being honest about the state of the program and expressing a desire for change, they aren't being "unfair" or "mean" to JB, their concerns are valid.

And now the outliers are a small group of people who refuse to acknowledge what everyone else is seeing -- that the coach has hung on for too long, and the program has suffered for it. It's almost like they're living in the past.

Can we please dispense with the "wanting to win". Everyone everywhere wants to win at whatever they do.

I have no doubt JB wants to win. That and $2 gets you a cup of coffee.

His job isn't to want to win, it's to win.

I’m sure you’re just as upset then at all the posts accusing him of not caring about winning because he got to coach his kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom