“I don’t care about the record…” - Jim Boeheim | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

“I don’t care about the record…” - Jim Boeheim

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the coach says he places a higher priority on his family than wins and losses and he is selfish. Says he hates losing but having the chance to spend the year with his sons is a net positive that he truly appreciated. The bastard!

This board has officially reached the need to be flushed with a full can of air freshener. I’m done.
This is twisting the argument.
I don’t think an overwhelming majority of the fanbase has an issue with sons on the team.
Most see Buddy as a legit good player who is a weapon.

Most see Jimmy could be a rotational piece on a Syracuse Basketball team.

The issues come up when they are 1-2 in minutes played and shots per game.
Their is no depth on the roster and legit frustration and legitimate reasons why can’t even be discussed.
Plus JB is defiant in how he does things when it’s obvious we need some change.

Again if Jimmy was Kristoff Ongunant 2.0 and Buddy was Andy Rautins 2.0 the board is super happy for JB getting the added bonus. Doug Gottlieb said it well when describing this situation.

I don’t think an overwhelming majority of the fanbase has an issue with sons on the team.

Their is no depth on the roster and legit frustration and legitimate reasons why can’t even be discussed.

Again if Jimmy was Kristoff Ongunant 2.0 and Buddy was Andy Rautins 2.0 the board is super happy for JB getting the added bonus. Doug Gottlieb said it well when describing this situation.
Pot calling the kettle black. You know I agree with almost 100% of your post.

Some people consider your success rate going down by 15% something to pay attention to. Obviously you're not one of those. I'd probably not want to go in business with you.
Oh, you want to view this program like a business? Yes, let’s do that:

So we’re still one of the most profitable businesses in the industry, but you want to ditch the CEO because we’re not winning enough awards.

So the coach says he places a higher priority on his family than wins and losses and he is selfish. Says he hates losing but having the chance to spend the year with his sons is a net positive that he truly appreciated. The bastard!

This board has officially reached the need to be flushed with a full can of air freshener. I’m done.
It has nothing to do with his kids for me. Buddy is a very good college player and Jimmy can contribute on a good team. I just wish he was playing 20mpg.

I don’t think JB wants to deal with some of the drama he used to deal with when he was younger and thats preventing him from putting together the best possible team.

If we kept Richmond, Braswell, and Guerrier we probably are looking at being a 4 seed in two weeks, but JB just hasn’t shown an interest or ability to setup a roster for the most success possible going on 8 years. That’s why he should retire.

If this season was a one off and the previous 7 did not happen I would give him more leeway, but the last 7 years DID happen. This was supposed to be a year we finished near the top of the conference. If we can’t do it when the ACC is this bad when will we ever?

It’s time for him to go and it really has zero to do with his kids.

Last edited:
I wouldn't put too much emphasis on these quotes. It was probably poorly stated. He meant he is a proud parent to have the opportunity to coach his kids, the results are not what he wanted but it is what it is.

To be honest I didn't even watch the game. I had stuff to do and didn't think twice about skipping it. There were times I would drive to a bar to watch a game my provider didn't carry, and this year in particular Comcast has ACCN and I didn't even watch half the games because the product on the court isn't enjoyable anymore. I did check this board a half dozen times during the game. The frustration has nothing to do with chest bumping. it is just a bad product.

I am happy that he got to coach his sons. I am frustrated about how far the program has fallen. I don't care about the winning record or non losing record whatever you call it.

I have a strange feeling after the ACCT JB will retire. Just a feeling.

Watch the presser. He was doing a full court press on the reporters. Not one of them was able to finish the question before he started answering. Everyone can see he was on edge and knew better to ask the obvious questions on their minds. That was defense, that was the defense we needed on the court, not on the presser.

It has nothing to do with his kids for me. Buddy is a very good college player and Jimmy can contribute on a good team I just wish he was playing 20mpg.

I don’t think JB wants to deal with some of the drama he used to deal with when he was younger and thats preventing him from putting together the best possible team.

If we kept Richmond, Braswell and Guerrier we probably are looking at being a 4 seed in two weeks, but JB just hasn’t shown an interest or ability to setup a roster for the most success possible going on 8 years now and that’s why he should retire.

If this season was a one off and the previous 7 did not happen I would give him more leeway, but the last 7 years DID happen. This was supposed to be a year we finished near the top of the conference. If we can’t do it when the ACC is this bad when will we ever?

Very well said!
Was writing my similar response -but yours is perfect.

It has nothing to do with his kids for me. Buddy is a very good college player and Jimmy can contribute on a good team. I just wish he was playing 20mpg.

If we kept Richmond, Braswell and Guerrier we probably are looking at being a 4 seed in two weeks, but JB just hasn’t shown an interest or ability to setup a roster for the most success possible going on 8 years now and that’s why he should retire.

Great post.

If I was a fan from somewhere else on the map, I would tend to think that fans who want the coach to go away after the first losing season in 46 years are being rather childish.

Living here I'm aware of the frustration the last eight years have produced, the disappointment of this season and the fear that the losing season is the beginning of a further slide, (although my own guy feeling is that we've bottomed out and will begin to pull out of this next year).

But the detached perspective can be valuable, too.

Anecdotal but FWIW, my conversations with friends detached from Syracuse that follow sports no one thinks the school/fans haven’t been appreciative or generous with the retirement timeline. They think the situation is funny and almost sitcomish.

They just see a grumpy, legendary coach past his prime in his late 70’s who trends on Twitter for taking unnecessary shots at players (both in and outside his program) and gives “certain”players free reign while the losses pile up but sneaks into the tournament and gives people fits.

It’s some of the Syracuse fans who approach this situation like it’s the first of its kind, when in reality legendary leaders aging out of their positions happens quite often without it being viewed as disrespectful.

All I know is, this is the worst conference of any year we have been in a conference. We just went 9-11 in that conference. It isn't like this was 2011 Big East. That I can live with had we gone 15-16 (9-11).

That being said I totally expect SU to make an ACCT run this year. We have become March spoilers. We are the bad guys stealing bids. Duke is distracted with end of Coach K, and we cannot play with them. We are winning that game. Then JB can be snarky to the fans as if that one game makes up for the prior 32.

It's not if you win or lose, it's if the "boys" play.
Jim's record as is obvious to most of us, is the schools record.

Last edited:
All I know is, this is the worst conference of any year we have been in a conference. We just went 9-11 in that conference. It isn't like this was 2011 Big East. That I can live with had we gone 15-16 (9-11).

That being said I totally expect SU to make an ACCT run this year. We have become March spoilers. We are the bad guys stealing bids. Duke is distracted with end of Coach K, and we cannot play with them. We are winning that game. Then JB can be snarky to the fans as if that one game makes up for the prior 32.
Honestly if we beat Duke on Thursday we should win if all.
Get a 12 seed and win 2 games.

I want these sons to have a winning season. They need and deserve to not be part of JB’s first losing seaaon.

On a traditional SU basketball team (one that routinely finished in the upper half of its league), none of our current starters would get on the floor except maybe as an 8th or 9th man getting an occasional cameo appearance. That may be an exaggeration but you can't exaggerate the talent drop off that has taken place from the program's halcyon days to today.

Honestly if we beat Duke on Thursday we should win if all.
Get a 12 seed and win 2 games.

I want these sons to have a winning season. They need and deserve to not be part of JB’s first losing seaaon.
The league is weak but SU winning four straight games with no bench is a big ask. Not to mention that Dook is a horrible matchup for us.

Oh, you want to view this program like a business? Yes, let’s do that:

So we’re still one of the most profitable businesses in the industry, but you want to ditch the CEO because we’re not winning enough awards.
Ok since you want to play dense. Say we’re dealing with an elderly relative, Apparently you’re the type to wait for them to plow through the house before you take away the car keys. But the couple smaller accidents leading up to that are enough to get my attention.

Ok since you want to play dense. Say we’re dealing with an elderly relative, Apparently you’re the type to wait for them to plow through the house before you take away the car keys. But the couple smaller accidents leading up to that are enough to get my attention.
My grandma lost her license because she drove into the side of the office building of her eye doctor

how many games this year can you say he outcoached an opponent to get the win?

maybe nc state? indiana? idk...not many

and how many times did the opponent outcoach him?

how many double digit leads were blown this year?

A LOT

I dont think the issue was only talent this season.
To play devils advocate. With the lack of athleticism on this team, how many other coaches might not have won ten games with this talent?

On a traditional SU basketball team (one that routinely finished in the upper half of its league), none of our current starters would get on the floor except maybe as an 8th or 9th man getting an occasional cameo appearance. That may be an exaggeration but you can't exaggerate the talent drop off that has taken place from the program's halcyon days to today.
Buddy and Jesse at their current level would have been in the top 7 rotation of almost any traditional SU team.

Buddy and Jesse at their current level would have been in the top 7 rotation of almost any traditional SU team.
We had plenty of teams where nether guy would have broken the top seven. Although who knows? Buddy and Jimmy probably would have started on some of those teams. :confused:

If Buddy and Jesse are so good then why is this year's team so lousy? And don't forget, college hoops is so watered down today compared to years past where teams were laden with NBA worthy upperclassmen.

Last edited:
She should sue the eye doctor for not having the proper subscription. :)

Just like when fans blame JB because kids don’t put the ball in the hoop, blame the eye doctor because Gram didn’t have a subscription to a taxi service. LOL. Sorry, couldn’t help myself.

Just like when fans blame JB because kids don’t put the ball in the hoop, blame the eye doctor because Gram didn’t have a subscription to a taxi service. LOL. Sorry, couldn’t help myself.
Thinking you could play Buddy Boeheim and Joe Girard at the top of a zone defense and have successful results would be an unconscionable thought but that has been the course chosen for 2 years

We lost a ton of coin flip games and most of them were due to coaching mistakes by JB, no question.

Did he chose heads when he should have chosen tails?

Very, very few games come down to an in game coaching decision. They come down to players making or missing shots, rebounding or giving up rebounds, taking care of the ball or turning it over, committing bad fouls etc.

Cry me a river with the decline. A decline which included a Final Four run and one of the best tournament records in all of college basketball over the same time period. Most programs would kill for that decline. Some elite programs like Indiana would kill for that decline. Get over yourselves.
How many programs let their head coach rack up two major probations and let him continue on coaching?

This stuff works both ways. For all the "JB is the program" talk, which I'm fine with by the way, there is also the fact that a lot of schools would have pushed him out after the second probation.

That analogy is even less relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors