1 knock about our schedule | Syracusefan.com

1 knock about our schedule

CorduroyG

Hall of Fame
And it's not even our fault, but we have not beaten 1 tournament team on the road. We'll get plenty of chances in the next month.

And it's not even our fault, but we have not beaten 1 tournament team on the road. We'll get plenty of chances in the next month.
I think we would all agree that we have played a decent OOC schedule but when you look and see our SOS is ranked north of 60 you just have to hope that somewhere down the line it doesn't come back to us. I believe Pitt even has a better SOS now and everyone was saying that they hadn't beat anyone yet.

I think we would all agree that we have played a decent OOC schedule but when you look and see our SOS is ranked north of 60 you just have to hope that somewhere down the line it doesn't come back to us. I believe Pitt even has a better SOS now and everyone was saying that they hadn't beat anyone yet.

SOS is an useful metric. But let's not apply meaning that isn't there--your opponents relative strength doesn't have much correlation to how good YOUR team is.

It's one data point; not the ONLY one.

That's because we don't have to play us.

eh. tournament games aren't played on the road. I don't get why people put so much stock in these games.
True, but beating tournament caliber teams on the road is significant. It's something the the committee looks at with bubble teams. Ultimately, it won't matter with us unless we have a late season losing streak.

eh. tournament games aren't played on the road. I don't get why people put so much stock in these games.

Well they are harder than home games.

Our SOS hasn't been great, a lot of t hat is because we've played some really terrible teams. I don't think the SOS number, by itself, is a totally useful metric. (Well if you're first you have played a badass schedule and if you're last not so much, but you know wh at I mean). To me it is more about the individual teams you've played. We haven't played an amazing schedule, but it's a solid schedule, and we've been awesome against it

It's been such a weird schedule so far. On paper, an absolute barrage of big name teams: Duke, UNC, Indiana, Nova, Pitt. And a handful of other pretty decent teams - St. Johns, Minnesota, Cal, Baylor. You look at that and think it must be a murderer's row of a schedule. But they've nearly all been at home, and the few that weren't were at neutral sites or (in the Johnnies' case) what might as well have been neutral sites. It's actually kind of amazing that there hasn't been a good road game yet - the chances that all of Duke, Indiana, Pitt, Nova, and UNC (which granted isn't a particularly good team, but would at least be a prestige road win) would all be at home so far just given random chance has to be pretty low.

We've beaten some tournament teams at neutral locations and if all goes accoring to plan, we'll be playing home games all the way to the Final 4. Analysts are just looking for some kind of talking point to use against us. Right now its that we don't blow people out and haven't beat a tournament team on the road.

I have total confidence that BOTH of those will change soon. Time to start shutting these dudes up.

SOS is an useful metric. But let's not apply meaning that isn't there--your opponents relative strength doesn't have much correlation to how good YOUR team is.

It's one data point; not the ONLY one.
I realize that. It's just crazy when you look at other teams SOS: Duke, Pitt, Nova, Zona, Creighton, Virginia, Kansas. That's when that old tired argument pops it's ugly head that Boeheim doesn't play anyone. People will be looking for anything to denigrate the Cuse.

I believe Clemson (who was a 7seed) was Duke's only road win vs a tournament team in 2010.

I forgot where I read it probably ESPN awhile ago, but of all the major pro and college sports, college bball has far and away the most statistically significant homecourt advantage. I think the authors may have even corrected for things like strong programs playing a bunch of home games against cupcakes early in the season for ticket sales. So ability to win on the road is a real measuring stick of a team's quality.

We've beaten some tournament teams at neutral locations and if all goes accoring to plan, we'll be playing home games all the way to the Final 4. Analysts are just looking for some kind of talking point to use against us. Right now its that we don't blow people out and haven't beat a tournament team on the road.

I have total confidence that BOTH of those will change soon. Time to start shutting these dudes up.

I completely agree.

I had my doubts we could beat Pitt or Duke and we beat both. We also have proven we can win at crunch time .. the team will be ready for any challenges ahead.

Our low SOS is due to Cornell, Binghamton and High Point. You just can't play teams with 300+ RPI they're RPI killers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom