12-6 (5-2) does not suck | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

12-6 (5-2) does not suck

I want UNC badly. Zero excuse for ever losing to GT. And I don’t care if Miami is supposedly good - they play garbage ball and just run around fast.
Larranaga hasn’t really figured out the zone yet.

“SU hoops, 2023: Eh, we could we worse.”

Honestly that’s our motto at this point. Obviously it’s much better to be 12-6 than worse. Just a bummer that we know we’re not capable of doing anything special. Call me spoiled but it’s hard to muster up excitement beyond rooting for the team in-game, because I know it’s not leading to anything meaningful.

I want UNC badly. Zero excuse for ever losing to GT. And I don’t care if Miami is supposedly good - they play garbage ball and just run around fast.
I think Miami is a better matchup for us this year than they have been in the past. They aren’t a great shooting team and with Judah we shouldn’t have issues if they show us pressure. There’s no reason to think we should lose to VPI or Georgia Tech. UNC and UVA in the dome are very doable this season.

Your story is changing. You guys don't just pretend I said something different, you change what you said

"I can assure you that there are many - in fact, a vast majority - in the college basketball ranks that think Syracuse University are idiots for not canning Boeheim"

"I do this for a living, believe it or not. I can list any number of coaches in the Division I ranks that I know for a fact are laughing at us and do not respect SU anymore as a threat."

I told you that your friends/ clients/ whatever we idiots months ago. What are their records? Combine them if you don't want to give away who
Yes. And that reigns true. Just because I use different language in another post to reply to your premature celebration, doesn’t mean anything I said has changed. Your semantics are ridiculous.

People in the business know that SU is not a real threat anymore. And the majority of college basketball believes Boeheim should be done. But won’t say it because they know he’s washed up.

15-6 in league play, for the record. And even if it was flipped, their opinions would be valid. Institutional situations and where they fit in league matter. If a school like Boston College finished .500 in the ACC, that would be a great job. And that, smart guy, is why Boeheim’s results are not acceptable. Syracuse should not be a .500 program in any league. Period. Most especially for this prolonged a stretch. 8.5 years, 5 games above .500 (including this inflated 5-2 stretch where we have beaten nobody in the top 2/3 of the league).

Last edited:
“SU hoops, 2023: Eh, we could we worse.”

Honestly that’s our motto at this point. Obviously it’s much better to be 12-6 than worse. Just a bummer that we know we’re not capable of doing anything special. Call me spoiled but it’s hard to muster up excitement beyond rooting for the team in-game, because I know it’s not leading to anything meaningful.
The team can beat anyone else on the schedule. There’s really nothing more we can ask for at this point.

the cupcake OOC was mandatory. which meant conference play was always going to be decisive. a couple of losses early in the season really hurt, especially since acc is a bit down, but it is what it is.

nov/dec was always going to be rough with this roster...that was obvious from day 1.

the season starts now.

any goal the team has is still on the table.

no 12-6 (5-2) team in the country has been eliminated from the postseason yet.

still need to get better from here but these freshman have game no doubt about it.

anything can happen from here...very hard to predict...but I wouldnt be shocked if the team starts picking up some impressive wins.

And realistically, that’s true.
I think I’ve said I want JB to retire like 800 times the past two seasons, but if that’s your opinion I think it’s quite uninformed and not realistic of this years ACC.

If you think we have no shot against a UNC team that was blasted by Virginia Tech or a Duke team that’s been blown out a couple times and should have lost to BC then the only opinion I can have is you have zero idea about the landscape in this years ACC.

This team would crush Bryant today. This team is growing up and it’s to our advantage we have some potential quality wins on the schedule.
I think we would beat Bryant maybe 7 times out of 10. Bryant is much better than Louisville who we barely escaped a week ago.

I think I’ve said I want JB to retire like 800 times the past two seasons, but if that’s your opinion I think it’s quite uninformed and not realistic of this years ACC.

If you think we have no shot against a UNC team that was blasted by Virginia Tech or a Duke team that’s been blown out a couple times and should have lost to BC then the only opinion I can have is you have zero idea about the landscape in this years ACC.
We have lost to Duke the last 7 times, with none being closer than a 9-point margin.

We are 2-8 in the last 10 matchups with UNC. One of those wins was a blowout in Brooklyn the day before the pandemic shut down everything. And UNC had their worst team ever.

Call me crazy but I don’t really like our chances and I don’t think I’m being ridiculous when I say I don’t see a path to beating either of those teams. Hope I’m wrong.

We have lost to Duke the last 7 times, with none being closer than a 9-point margin.

We are 2-8 in the last 10 matchups with UNC. One of those wins was a blowout in Brooklyn the day before the pandemic shut down everything. And UNC had their worst team ever.

Call me crazy but I don’t really like our chances and I don’t think I’m being ridiculous when I say I don’t see a path to beating either of those teams. Hope I’m wrong.
What does Duke and UNC of past years have to do with this season? They don’t have the same talent or even coaching for the matter.

Ha ha, ok crazy, you're already hedging your original, extreme view, trimming your list of 5 teams SU has no chance against down to 2. Nice capitulation. How much game time of Duke have you seen this year?

The team can beat anyone else on the schedule. There’s really nothing more we can ask for at this point.
I don’t see virginia because… well we know that story. Most likely to me is actually UNC. Hopefully Love shoots like 25 times.

I don’t see virginia because… well we know that story. Most likely to me is actually UNC. Hopefully Love shoots like 25 times.
Punchers chance in the dome against UVA, but likely a difficult game. The good thing is Edwards can’t play any worse than he did the first time.

UNC is incredibly inconsistent.

I’m not sure the team “sucks,” which is a subjective term, but losing to Colgate and Bryant in any year let alone the same season, is terrible (another subjective term).
Would you feel much better if we beat Bryant and Colgate earlier in the year and lost to Va Tech and Notre Dame?

the cupcake OOC was mandatory. which meant conference play was always going to be decisive. a couple of losses early in the season really hurt, especially since acc is a bit down, but it is what it is.

nov/dec was always going to be rough with this roster...that was obvious from day 1.

the season starts now.

any goal the team has is still on the table.

no 12-6 (5-2) team in the country has been eliminated from the postseason yet.

still need to get better from here but these freshman have game no doubt about it.

anything can happen from here...very hard to predict...but I wouldnt be shocked if the team starts picking up some impressive wins.
Colgate and Bryant. That could end up being the difference in the season. Sad, but too late now. I am happy to see the improvements and I am enjoying the different rotations JB is trying. Regardless of the rest of the season, there's hope for the future.

Would you feel much better if we beat Bryant and Colgate earlier in the year and lost to Va Tech and Notre Dame?
“Feel better” in what regards...if you mean as far as making the tourney, yes. Those first two losses are worse for the resume

Colgate and Bryant. That could end up being the difference in the season. Sad, but too late now. I am happy to see the improvements and I am enjoying the different rotations JB is trying. Regardless of the rest of the season, there's hope for the future.
I think if you went into the season knowing this was, at best, a bubble team. You are pleased watching the improvement throughout the season. I know I’ve enjoyed the games much more accepting where this program is at. If you were expecting normal Syracuse basketball, then ya, it sucks.

that said...am I happy where the program is at? Of course not. I think this should be JBs last season and I’ve said it numerous times, but no reason to beat the dead horse in season.

I think Miami is a better matchup for us this year than they have been in the past. They aren’t a great shooting team and with Judah we shouldn’t have issues if they show us pressure. There’s no reason to think we should lose to VPI or Georgia Tech. UNC and UVA in the dome are very doable this season.
How many of those you think we will be favored to win?

“Feel better” in what regards...if you mean as far as making the tourney, yes. Those first two losses are worse for the resume
i realize my personal sentiments have no bearing on what the NCAA does BUT early season games for a team with a freshman-laden roster shoud be weighted less...and shouldnt be decisive imo

its like charging a juvenile as an adult

Candidly, our Program should be routinely beating all four. They are all inferior in resources and tradition.

This next stretch will be very telling. This is still a team that had trouble with a bad Louisville and trailed a not great ND for a good bulk of the game yesterday. But there is enough good stuff going on that I'm cautiously intrigued to see how we do. That's much better than I felt not that long ago when I was just watching games because SU is my team and that's what I do, but it wasn't a ton of fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom