12-6 (5-2) does not suck | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

12-6 (5-2) does not suck

My expectation set for this year were what they are every year for Syracuse Basketball…a good and competitive team. The string of historic horrid losses are unacceptable. I’ve been a Syracuse basketball fan for a long time and this current iteration is poor. (Even though the record seems better)

I realize that recent years have run very contrary to my expectations but I refuse to water down my expectations. as Leo Durocher once said “ you show me a good loser, and I’ll show you a loser”. the irony is that you are calling me out for being a Debbie downer but I was just responding to the original post that was trolling people who want to hold JB accountable for a mediocre program that is substandard to the standards that ironically… he established.

however, I respect your positive spin and I hope the kids continue to develop and improve. I truly hope that Millhouse can legitimately spike the ball after we go on a tear the rest of the year. I can’t wait for the day when we are debating what our seed in the tournament is going to be or God forbid what we have to do to get a one seed. However, until then I am going to juxtapose what we have vs. our traditional standards. Right now we are woefully short. Cheers
You appear to be a relatively new poster, so here goes. Many many people on here are angry and disappointed in JB for his poor recruiting, player retention, lack of transfer portal mining and overall roster construction. He’s largely been failing at it for 6 or 7 years now, maybe 5 if you give him a pass for the impact of sanctions. But as Cheriehoops said, we all went into this season knowing JB was planning to rely on freshman (in the hopes of building a foundation for the future, I guess) and most of us have tempered our expectations this season with this roster and are just hoping that the freshman will grow up faster than expected and maybe sneak us into the tourney or at least show that we have a foundation to build on for next season. Very few people are happy with the recent season results or JB’s job performance. We’re trying to enjoy and appreciate the continued steady improvement of the freshman and the star quality of Judah Mintz and hoping we can keep the improvement happening and maybe, just maybe we can sneak into the tourney. But no one has any illusions that it’s not going to be a massive hill to climb to make the tourney.

Last edited:
We barely beat 2-12 Louisville and we were down 12 against 1-5 ND on our own floor. The Patriot League and Bryant owned us. And we are getting into the thick of real ACC competition.

For a data guy, it’s odd you haven’t looked at our body of work to see what we are and against who. We are *far* from being good let alone surpassing expectations.
Notre Dame had a very good ooc schedule... They didn't turn into a "bad team" until they started playing in the ACC. So which is it? They blew out MSU days before we played them the first time, and haven't really won since.

Honestly, I don't know. The ACC doesn't seem to have any great teams, but it's the conference that might be better than appears. Either way, this Syracuse team isn't the same team that lost those early games to lower conference opponents.

The team can beat anyone else on the schedule. There’s really nothing more we can ask for at this point.
Meh. They could lose a bunch too. They’re fine, which is better than dreadful.

Unfortunately our only halfway decent win is Virginia Tech who has lost 5 straight. We feel like a team that is not particularly good at any aspect of the game. We nearly beat Pitt and the Johnnies and things would feel a little different if we had those Ws.

I'm critical of Boeheim for reasons stated numerous times on this board. That said, I'd also rather be on the optimistic side of things where I can enjoy the wins without discounting them. Some here almost seem like they want to be miserable. I don't think anyone here thinks we're a great team, but hey, I'll take the W's starting with Miami and sneak into the ncaa tournament.

,,,. Either way, this Syracuse team isn't the same team that lost those early games to lower conference opponents.
That must be the hope.
Losses to Colgate (again!) and Bryant are deadly.

Boeheim was asked a question after ND to the effect of when was the last time he had 4 freshmen on the floor at crunch time.
And he said never.

The only hope is that this freshman crew plus Jesse & Joe keeps getting better and gelling enough to make a run in the ACC and then in the ACC tournament.

Right now we can only (make?) believe it could happen because besides Tony Bennett and apparently Clemson there are no great ACC opponents right now . Only good ones. Let's see where the Orange are against one of those good ones...Miami.

Thinking back to earlier this season and laughing at the temper tantrums again

I thought we'd be on the wrong side of being a bubble team. Based on that expectation, I am happy where we are, regardless of my complaining.

We win tonight, I'll stupidly convince myself we can make the S16.

Listen, I haven't been rational about Syracuse basketball, ever.

9-2 against sisters of the poor is still 9-2 in our last 11. Can just play who is on the schedule. Win tonight, I think we can start actually considering a better season than expected, but it's house money tonight if you're expectations are like mine and we are a bubble team on the wrong side.

I'm critical of Boeheim for reasons stated numerous times on this board. That said, I'd also rather be on the optimistic side of things where I can enjoy the wins without discounting them. Some here almost seem like they want to be miserable. I don't think anyone here thinks we're a great team, but hey, I'll take the W's starting with Miami and sneak into the ncaa tournament.
I would rather be optimistic and be let down than feel pessimistic all the time. To me, the relatively constant state of optimism broken up by the occasional something ”bad” is just an easier state for me to maintain.

To that point, I think SU could beat Miami tonight!

I’m not sure, if just the UM game, as underdog +3 pts equals about 150 ML I think
Ended up be -300 for Miami currently.

I'll track what it ended up being for the 4 games, just curious.

FWIW, I think we win at least one, prob at home, maybe optimistic though

Ended up be -300 for Miami currently.

I'll track what it ended up being for the 4 games, just curious.

FWIW, I think we win at least one, prob at home, maybe optimistic though
Sure, sounds good. And to calculate that original what was it, 6 ? ML, you must have had odds for the other games too. What were you using there?

Unfortunately our only halfway decent win is Virginia Tech who has lost 5 straight. We feel like a team that is not particularly good at any aspect of the game. We nearly beat Pitt and the Johnnies and things would feel a little different if we had those Ws.
Let’s say Syracuse scored the game winner in both of those games - I’m not sure why that would make them seem any better then they seem right now

Notre Dame had a very good ooc schedule... They didn't turn into a "bad team" until they started playing in the ACC. So which is it? They blew out MSU days before we played them the first time, and haven't really won since.

Honestly, I don't know. The ACC doesn't seem to have any great teams, but it's the conference that might be better than appears. Either way, this Syracuse team isn't the same team that lost those early games to lower conference opponents.
I think in those early games the age and experience of the ND players really stood out and provided an advantage. Now that players have gotten a lot more reps and teams have had time to develop some cohesion, I think we're seeing that ND hit their ceiling in the preseason.

Let’s say Syracuse scored the game winner in both of those games - I’m not sure why that would make them seem any better then they seem right now
Should have clarified. We'd feel better about the resume

I think if you went into the season knowing this was, at best, a bubble team. You are pleased watching the improvement throughout the season. I know I’ve enjoyed the games much more accepting where this program is at. If you were expecting normal Syracuse basketball, then ya, it sucks.

that said...am I happy where the program is at? Of course not. I think this should be JBs last season and I’ve said it numerous times, but no reason to beat the dead horse in season.
I dont think this is his swan song

FmmdaaKWQAEW3ji

Who is marketing this sad gem?

Your agenda is showing. Likely odds for tomorrow are UM giving a field goal, hardly heavy odds. I’ll take the bet, SU will not go 0-4 in those games, you set the amount.
Miami -7.0

I thought we'd be on the wrong side of being a bubble team. Based on that expectation, I am happy where we are, regardless of my complaining.

We win tonight, I'll stupidly convince myself we can make the S16.

Listen, I haven't been rational about Syracuse basketball, ever.

9-2 against sisters of the poor is still 9-2 in our last 11. Can just play who is on the schedule. Win tonight, I think we can start actually considering a better season than expected, but it's house money tonight if you're expectations are like mine and we are a bubble team on the wrong side.

That's right -- I feel the same way.

But I also think it's important to look at the quadrant wins we have, in assessing how "good" the team is. Saturday's win was encouraging -- but I feel like this week sets up exactly like last week. Need to win BOTH games to stay near the top of conference rankings.

Beat Miami, get a much-needed Quadrant 1 victory, and then things get interesting.

Thinking back to earlier this season and laughing at the temper tantrums again
I . . . uh . . . we're ranked between Ole Miss and Duqusane in the net rankings. That's BAD. We're a mid-seed NIT team.

Easy money. Terribly unbalanced line with too much credit to a good, not great home team.

See a path to an “unexpected” win in the next 3 yet?
Honestly, GT stinks and we have already beaten VT. But I expect 1-3 over the next 4.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom