12-6 (5-2) does not suck | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

12-6 (5-2) does not suck

Ha ha, ok crazy, you're already hedging your original, extreme view, trimming your list of 5 teams SU has no chance against down to 2. Nice capitulation. How much game time of Duke have you seen this year?
4 teams buddy. And Miami and Virginia are ranked in the top 20. I saw the UVA game - we were blown out regardless of score. I hope we beat Miami but I would say odds are heavily against it happening.

“Feel better” in what regards...if you mean as far as making the tourney, yes. Those first two losses are worse for the resume
Colgate is currently 40 spots better than ND in the net, and Bryant is only 2 spots lower

I would.
Why?

Both scream mediocrity (or worse) but at least the current situation gives a plausible development/improvement situation as more recent games have been positive and earlier games were more disappointing

Would love to see the Venn diagram of people who thought we had no chance vs Ville, Purdue and NCST this year in football with those claiming with certainty the next 5+ games will be a dumpster fire

4 teams buddy. And Miami and Virginia are ranked in the top 20. I saw the UVA game - we were blown out regardless of score. I hope we beat Miami but I would say odds are heavily against it happening.
Your agenda is showing. Likely odds for tomorrow are UM giving a field goal, hardly heavy odds. I’ll take the bet, SU will not go 0-4 in those games, you set the amount.

Your agenda is showing. Likely odds for tomorrow are UM giving a field goal, hardly heavy odds. I’ll take the bet, SU will not go 0-4 in those games, you set the amount.
That’s prob, what, 6-1 odds for ML

I feel very confident about Miami, maybe not a win but should be a close game at the very least. They have no high volume 3 point shooters shooting over 40% and are 125 in adjusted D from Kenpom (for comparison, syracuse is is 130 and Virginia Tech is 61). Their offense is obviously good, but their driving nature does play into Syracuse’s hand a bit

i realize my personal sentiments have no bearing on what the NCAA does BUT early season games for a team with a freshman-laden roster shoud be weighted less...and shouldnt be decisive imo

its like charging a juvenile as an adult
Ha! Gave you the laugh emoji for the last sentence.

Why?

Both scream mediocrity (or worse) but at least the current situation gives a plausible development/improvement situation as more recent games have been positive and earlier games were more disappointing

Would love to see the Venn diagram of people who thought we had no chance vs Ville, Purdue and NCST this year in football with those claiming with certainty the next 5+ games will be a dumpster fire
Because I hate that we lost to those two programs. And to lose to Colgate two years in a row is insane. Those losses will go down as among our worst losses in the JB era.

UVA still has their knickers in a knot from the Orange knocking them out of the NCAAT when they felt, probably rightly so, that they could have won the championship. I watch them play other teams and they look pedestrian, but when they see Boeheim and that Orange jersey, they are triggered. Next game in the dome is high time for Syracuse to give them some of their own medicine, and I think they will.

Not sure how you come up with that number of Miami -3 (which implies the teams are even since Miami is at home), but the line is going to come out between Miami - 7 to -9. Based on KenPom the line will would be 8, and the Vegas lines almost always match up within 1 point either way.

I think its a good bet for us at that number, but that will be the opening line.

Last edited:
Glass half full: I'm happy with how we have been playing as of late. We look a lot better than earlier in the year.

Glass half empty: we are still in a massive resume hole right now. I don't think we have been this far off the bubble on January 15th of any season in the Boeheim era.

Beating Miami tomorrow is a must if we want to turn this thing around.

Glass half full: I'm happy with how we have been playing as of late. We look a lot better than earlier in the year.

Glass half empty: we are still in a massive resume hole right now. I don't think we have been this far off the bubble on January 15th of any season in the Boeheim era.

Beating Miami tomorrow is a must if we want to turn this thing around.

Agree in the main.

This has nothing to do with your post, Eric15, but a general reaciton -- 12-6 does in fact suck.

Agree in the main.

This has nothing to do with your post, Eric15, but a general reaciton -- 12-6 does in fact suck.
And obviously, not all 12-6s are created equal.

UNC is 12-6 also, but their NET ranking is 34 (ours is 117) and they're projected as an 8 seed at the moment.

UVA still has their knickers in a knot from the Orange knocking them out of the NCAAT when they felt, probably rightly so, that they could have won the championship. I watch them play other teams and they look pedestrian, but when they see Boeheim and that Orange jersey, they are triggered. Next game in the dome is high time for Syracuse to give them some of their own medicine, and I think they will.
all the refs gotta do is call handchecking and UVA has zero chance of winning any game

Not sure how you come up with that number of Miami -3 (which implies the teams are even since Miami is at home), but the line is going to come out between Miami - 7 to -9. Based on KenPom the line will would be 8, and the Vegas lines almost always match up within 1 point either way.

I think its a good bet for us at that number, but that will be the opening line.
it was a swag, based solely on UM leveling off with losses to GT and NCST, plus SU coming off a win, 9-2 in their last 11. 8 points would be a gift, I agree, I would suspect it to drop up to game time if that's where it opens.

it was a swag, based solely on UM leveling off with losses to GT and NCST, plus SU coming off a win, 9-2 in their last 11. 8 points would be a gift, I agree, I would suspect it to drop up to game time if that's where it opens.

Well it just opened at +7.5
Maybe it drops a point max. Vegas doesn't move its college basketball regular season lines too much.

UNC is 12-6 also, but their NET ranking is 34 (ours is 117) and they're projected as an 8 seed at the moment.

Yup.

Computer sees us lose to Bryant and Colgate. This will put a ceiling of 80 for the rest of the season even we won most of games this year.

We barely beat 2-12 Louisville and we were down 12 against 1-5 ND on our own floor. The Patriot League and Bryant owned us. And we are getting into the thick of real ACC competition.

For a data guy, it’s odd you haven’t looked at our body of work to see what we are and against who. We are *far* from being good let alone surpassing expectations.
You really think we’re remotely the same team as we were in the first few weeks of the season when we lost those games? A young, inexperienced team with so many freshman playing key roles has a chance to improve a lot during the season, and that’s what we’re hoping for. Let’s try to enjoy the journey and see where this team can end up. We’re all aware we have a long way to go.

Did I say we were good?

You guys just keep doing it!

Either this place struggles to read, thinks there is no space between "does not suck" and"good" , or is just so damn emotional that idea that we don't suck gets your dander up
I thought your take was clever and nuanced.

“SU hoops, 2023: Eh, we could we worse.”

Honestly that’s our motto at this point. Obviously it’s much better to be 12-6 than worse. Just a bummer that we know we’re not capable of doing anything special. Call me spoiled but it’s hard to muster up excitement beyond rooting for the team in-game, because I know it’s not leading to anything meaningful.
SU Hoops 2023: Hey, you never know!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom