12-6 (5-2) does not suck | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

12-6 (5-2) does not suck

This week’s fox sports bracketology had 8 ACC teams in the field. It has the allusion that the conference is down but that’s because the traditional powers aren’t at the top. We’ve dug ourselves a hole but we’re not dead yet.

My favorite thing about the bubble every year is how collectively everyone forgets how bad the bubble teams are. Every year it’s “the worst bubble in recent memory.”

Most important thing is to win games, especially road games. Miami is a big opportunity to get on the right track.

Can only beat who is on the schedule

Wow, thanks for such enlightenment, who knew?

In my opinion, I do not think that it’s unreasonable in contemplating an accurate assessment relative to how good we’ve been playing or how much we have truly been improving when playing against such inferior opponents.

Had 4 of our conference wins to date not come against the aforementioned putrid 3-18 combined opponents conference record, and at least be remotely respectable, I’d feel differently about same.

What makes me laugh are posts like this when we have a triple digit RPI coming into this game and this home win (over a bad ND team) will barely move the needle. Our “signature” win right now is over #62 in the RPI Va Tech.

I enjoyed watching the freshman lead us back tonight as much as anyone but jeez louise. Get a grip on reality. This 12-6 is not the same as 12-6 when we played in the Big East or even a marginal league.
Have you ever had a positive post? Seriously it’s easy to search - sad. Why be so upset when people are having a decent night after a win? Why does it bother you so much?

Thinking back to earlier this season and laughing at the temper tantrums again
We barely beat 2-12 Louisville and we were down 12 against 1-5 ND on our own floor. The Patriot League and Bryant owned us. And we are getting into the thick of real ACC competition.

For a data guy, it’s odd you haven’t looked at our body of work to see what we are and against who. We are *far* from being good let alone surpassing expectations.

Have you ever had a positive post? Seriously it’s easy to search - sad. Why be so upset when people are having a decent night after a win? Why does it bother you so much?
Yes, I have. When the program warranted it. I have had season tickets in Section 123 for 20 years not to mention many, many years of donations to the athletic department that my company matched. Forgive me that I am tired of this dreck and the rationalizations. Like I said, I was happy to see the freshman lead the comeback. BUT spiking the football because we are 12-6 against a historically bad schedule was a bridge too far.

We barely beat 2-12 Louisville and we were down 12 against 1-5 ND on our own floor. The Patriot League and Bryant owned us. And we are getting into the thick of real ACC competition.

For a data guy, it’s odd you haven’t looked at our body of work to see what we are and against who. We are *far* from being good let alone surpassing expectations.
Thank you for proving my point. When you get emotional, you start pretending I say things that I didn't

PS as soon as I do show with data that I'm right, the angry people tell me to use the eye test.

Last edited:
Thinking back to earlier this season and laughing at the temper tantrums again
Or think back to Colgate and some of the other games we pissed away

JB just said we aren’t good. Now, we are good enough for 90%+ of college basketball, but we are not good for Syracuse.

Wow, thanks for such enlightenment, who knew?

In my opinion, I do not think that it’s unreasonable in contemplating an accurate assessment relative to how good we’ve been playing or how much we have truly been improving when playing against such inferior opponents.

Had 4 of our conference wins to date not come against the aforementioned putrid 3-18 combined opponents conference record, and at least be remotely respectable, I’d feel differently about same.
I hear you, and time will tell. Syracuse has played 1 good team, 1 team who was on arguably the best run in the conference yet and 5 of the worst teams, they won 5, and lost 2. Right now they’re in the middle of the pack but they haven’t seen a good enough distribution of talent levels to show if they themselves are good or bad - hence you can only play who you play.

On the bright side, sometimes a team plays down to its competition. We finally have a real power forward and both Bell and Taylor can shoot. Jesse is much better when he has a Brown safety. We were too dependent on a streaky Girard. And finally, Mintz is playing more like a point guard. Tonight he was 8/1.

Notre Dame was red hot tonight. It was a good win.

Last edited:
Dont get upset that we don't suck
Im not at all. I bleed orange have since Roy was coach and i was watching Roys runts. Im glad the kids won. I just think and have posted many times that we need to mix it up. Press as a tool to change tempo vs desperation. Mix in some strategic man and i think we win 3 more games and cruise in the Ville game and actually this game.
Teams that are crushing the zone with 3s will not do so against man. Look it up. Its a fact.
Thats all. Glad we won and thrilled that we have a punchers chance at the dance.

This team would crush Bryant today. This team is growing up and it’s to our advantage we have some potential quality wins on the schedule.

Im not at all. I bleed orange have since Roy was coach and i was watching Roys runts. Im glad the kids won. I just think and have posted many times that we need to mix it up. Press as a tool to change tempo vs desperation. Mix in some strategic man and i think we win 3 more games and cruise in the Ville game and actually this game.
Teams that are crushing the zone with 3s will not do so against man. Look it up. Its a fact.
Thats all. Glad we won and thrilled that we have a punchers chance at the dance.
Idk, Colgate and Lehigh both did just fine against the man defense, i think the defense in general is still a weak point for the team, but it was especially troublesome early

While I agree, the caveat is this is a young team that appears to be improving and figuring out ways to win. I’m optimistic they can find a way to win 8 or 9 games and sneak into the Dance.

Yes, I have. When the program warranted it. I have had season tickets in Section 123 for 20 years not to mention many, many years of donations to the athletic department that my company matched. Forgive me that I am tired of this dreck and the rationalizations. Like I said, I was happy to see the freshman lead the comeback. BUT spiking the football because we are 12-6 against a historically bad schedule was a bridge too far.
What were your expectations for this year with 6 freshman? Was it realistic? The preseason ACC ratings put us finishing 8th in the league knowing our schedule etc. Notre Dame was picked 6th, they have 1 freshman starter and 4 grad student starters and 2 grad students coming off the bench. There are fan’s expectations but they may have nothing to do with reality. Below‘s link states the so called expert’s expectations. Of course I hope we have a great season and beat the heck out of their prediction. I may just be simple but I still cheer and am happy, (sometimes just relieved), after every single win. To me, it’s strange for ‘fans’ trying to shame fellow fans for seeing bright spots and being happy after a win.

I’m still cracking up at “suck ass brigade”.
What were your expectations for this year with 6 freshman? Was it realistic? The preseason ACC ratings put us finishing 8th in the league knowing our schedule etc. Notre Dame was picked 6th, they have 1 freshman starter and 4 grad student starters and 2 grad students coming off the bench. There are fan’s expectations but they may have nothing to do with reality. Below‘s link states the so called expert’s expectations. Of course I hope we have a great season and beat the heck out of their prediction. I may just be simple but I still cheer and am happy, (sometimes just relieved), after every single win. To me, it’s strange for ‘fans’ trying to shame fellow fans for seeing bright spots and being happy after a win.

My expectation set for this year were what they are every year for Syracuse Basketball…a good and competitive team. The string of historic horrid losses are unacceptable. I’ve been a Syracuse basketball fan for a long time and this current iteration is poor. (Even though the record seems better)

I realize that recent years have run very contrary to my expectations but I refuse to water down my expectations. as Leo Durocher once said “ you show me a good loser, and I’ll show you a loser”. the irony is that you are calling me out for being a Debbie downer but I was just responding to the original post that was trolling people who want to hold JB accountable for a mediocre program that is substandard to the standards that ironically… he established.

however, I respect your positive spin and I hope the kids continue to develop and improve. I truly hope that Millhouse can legitimately spike the ball after we go on a tear the rest of the year. I can’t wait for the day when we are debating what our seed in the tournament is going to be or God forbid what we have to do to get a one seed. However, until then I am going to juxtapose what we have vs. our traditional standards. Right now we are woefully short. Cheers

12-6 only sucks because of how we got here. Started the year with a bunch of games we thought were cupcakes. We have a team full of freshmen going up in many cases third and fourth year guys.

We have won a few games that we easily could have lost, but the fact is the guys didn't lose their composure and choke those games away-although there were a few I thought I was gonna choke with some late game bad decisions.

In the mean time take a look at records all around college basketball. The Big 12 by far seems to have by record the deepest conference, after that you can call it a coin toss between the Mountain West and SEC. Every other conference has very few teams with less than 6 losses.

Top 25 rankings have always been a joke. It's great when your team is on it, but there is always plenty of room to argue who should really be on it. Just because some guys on TV tell you who should be doesn't make it so.

This team is constantly improving, and JB has started narrowing his bench like he does every year. It isn't near as noticeable as in past years, but there has definitely been a change in the pecking order. It is great we have some good depth, even though they are young. The only player on this team I remotely worry/wonder about is-just like most others-Benny. He reminds me of Quincy. Not necessarily in what he has shown he can do, but in what he wants to do. Quincy transferred to play farther away from the basket and it isn't working as well for him as he had planned. We need Benny to play closer to the basket-work inside out- similar to what Brown does for us. In games he does this he shines. But his unwillingness to mix it up has hurt him and Brown has almost taken over his spot.

Once we play some of the "better" teams in the ACC we will see where we are at. But the young guys can play some ball and are showing it more and more. Hope for the best, expect the worst, and continue to root for them to learn and grow each game. There isn't much reason we can't get good enough to make a run through the ACC tourney.

What makes me laugh are posts like this when we have a triple digit RPI coming into this game and this home win (over a bad ND team) will barely move the needle. Our “signature” win right now is over #62 in the RPI Va Tech.

I enjoyed watching the freshman lead us back tonight as much as anyone but jeez louise. Get a grip on reality. This 12-6 is not the same as 12-6 when we played in the Big East or even a marginal league.
You said Jeez Louise.

My expectation set for this year were what they are every year for Syracuse Basketball…a good and competitive team. The string of historic horrid losses are unacceptable. I’ve been a Syracuse basketball fan for a long time and this current iteration is poor. (Even though the record seems better)

I realize that recent years have run very contrary to my expectations but I refuse to water down my expectations. as Leo Durocher once said “ you show me a good loser, and I’ll show you a loser”. the irony is that you are calling me out for being a Debbie downer but I was just responding to the original post that was trolling people who want to hold JB accountable for a mediocre program that is substandard to the standards that ironically… he established.

however, I respect your positive spin and I hope the kids continue to develop and improve. I truly hope that Millhouse can legitimately spike the ball after we go on a tear the rest of the year. I can’t wait for the day when we are debating what our seed in the tournament is going to be or God forbid what we have to do to get a one seed. However, until then I am going to juxtapose what we have vs. our traditional standards. Right now we are woefully short. Cheers
OK, but why do you have to do this tonight? Why is there a sense of urgency? You can let the rest of us enjoy the victory and hit us with your reality check tomorrow.

The combined ACC record of the Orange's 4 opponents where they've gotten their 5 wins is a horrible 4-23. The two times we've lost we've faced top 5 teams, facing deficits of 20+ points in each. We don't seem to be good enough to knock off anything but inferior, bottom-feeding teams. The Miami game Monday night will tell us a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom