14 games left. I think we win 10 | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

14 games left. I think we win 10

You’re right, but there is more to that, we can probably not get to end game situations if we had a lead guard playing all game, I’ve been preaching this for two years. That said we don’t have a lead guard or refuse to play one. We’ve lost a game because we had Jimmy at center, we lost a game because we refused to foul, call a timeout, or made a stupid decision, we almost lost another game because we couldn’t box out on a free throw because we didn’t put a bigger guy in off the bench.

Lead guard is a huge problem, but we suck at crunch time whether it’s coaching or execution or both.
Lets not forget the inbounds play

Your point is well taken. Your solution not so much. Clearly we need to spread the minutes, but other than arguably Torrence, who else could even be put in without a major talent drop off. Bennie and Frank both have a long ways to go to be anywhere near starting caliber players...and that only get us to 8. There just are not another two on the roster that you could even think about bringing in as part of a complete second five.
Not for nothing, but this is the type of self fulfilling prophecy that drives me nuts about JB.
He plays no one, develops no bench depth, does his Iron Man schtick with the starters, and then conveniently implies it’s because he has nothing beyond his first 5.
In his mind any player above #7 is “not ready”, or can’t be used or developed to get better and eventually, be ready.
Its a classic mind fucnk designed to fend off criticism at his lack of bench development. JMHO

Last edited:
Not for nothing, but this is the type of self fulfilling prophecy that drives me nuts about JB.
He plays no one, develops no bench depth, does his Iron Man schtick with the starters, and then conveniently implies it’s because he has nothing beyond his first 5.
In his mind any player above #7 is “not ready”, or can’t be used or developed to get better, and eventually be ready.
Its a classic mind fucnk designed to fend off criticism at his lack of bench development. JMHO
Reminder that, imo, we don’t get to the final four in 2013 without Grant whom Jb ”isn’t readied” until Southerland was suspended

I think we go 9-5 or 8-6 and preserve the winning streak. The league is just awful this year and I think Boeheim will figure out a way. Less optimistic about keeping the streak going next year.

I’m curious, what was everyone saying that season we started 25-0? We won a lot of close games that year. Some folks said it wouldn’t last and we would start losing those types of games. (Which, of course, we did.) How many of you thought our luck would change back then? How many of you said we were as good as our record and expected the run to continue?

It’s only been 3 years as well he makes it like they are Gonzaga in the WCC.
I said they were a power in the Patriot league, not a mis-major power, tho if Langel keeps going on this track they very well will become one.

It’s easy to be down on the program and I’ve been as guilty as anyone. We are all spoiled and frustrated. I hope we win the rest of our games and shock the world. You have to win one game before you can win two in a row. You keep playing the next game and hope we can get on a little run. JB has done it before. Our players are trying and that’s all you can ask. We need to find about a six point swing a game and we can win several games coming up.

I’m going to watch until they end to but what adjustments can we make that makes you think we can finish 10-4? If I posted they’ll go 14-0 or 0-14 and I’d put something behind my prediction. What adjustments do you think we make to go 10-4? This team has one win in its last five games and the first half against Pitt scares me enough not to put a W against them, what do you see that I don’t?

My prediction to win 10 out of the final 14 is not a statement that we are a good team. It’s more that the rest of the league is mediocre too. Despite our awful record, sickening late game play and overall defense we have been super close for the last 4 losses. Those 4 teams are towards the upper end of a very weak ACC.

Even if little adjustments are made I think we have enough to beat a very poor BC team twice, horrible shooting and coached Pitt team, free falling Louisville team at home, Wake at home. Miami at home, Ga Tech at home. That’s 7 wins.

Can you go 3-4 against (at ND, at Va Tech, at NC State, Clemson at home, at UNC and Duke twice).

No one on the schedule is scary (sans Duke) but of course everyone of those teams are probably looking at us as a solid win opportunity.

I don’t think Coach makes any adjustments besides maybe a few more minutes of the three guard lineup. Hope springs eternal but it’s getting tougher.

Cuse

Yeah….right.
Since you lack imagination I'll explain how mid-majors grow into a power. First you get a good coach, then you let him have time to get his program fully in hand and he gets the type of players he wants for his style of ball. Then, if he starts winning and better basketball players will come to play for him, then they win league titles and league tournaments and they make the NCAA. Then they get really good players and dominate their league every year and start to be on the radar as a rising mid-major power. That is the point Colgate is at now, if they keep progressing, they could become a serious basketball program.

Since you lack imagination I'll explain how mid-majors grow into a power. First you get a good coach, then you let him have time to get his program fully in hand and he gets the type of players he wants for his style of ball. Then, if he starts winning and better basketball players will come to play for him, then they win league titles and league tournaments and they make the NCAA. Then they get really good players and dominate their league every year and start to be on the radar as a rising mid-major power. That is the point Colgate is at now, if they keep progressing, they could become a serious basketball program.
Why is their record so bad? Why do they have such bad losses? You think P5 programs are knocking on his door? Give me a break.

Why is their record so bad? Why do they have such bad losses? You think P5 programs are knocking on his door? Give me a break.
Worse thing that probably happened to them was scoring a 100 points and beating Syracuse. That made THEM a mark.

Worse thing that probably happened to them was scoring a 100 points and beating Syracuse. That made THEM a mark.
Right now, as we speak, the athletic directors of Duke and NC are elbowing each other in a mad dash to the payphone to book a game on Colgate's home court for next season..

Right now, as we speak, the athletic directors of Duke and NC are elbowing each other in a mad dash to the payphone to book a game on Colgate's home court for next season..
I was terrified of Bozo as a child. Do you think St. Bonaventure is a rising mid-major power? Why not Colgate then?

I was terrified of Bozo as a child. Do you think St. Bonaventure is a rising mid-major power? Why not Colgate then?
St. Bonaventure : Colgate :: apples : aircraft carriers

Last edited:
I think 6-8.

We have played well most of our games but honestly even though we have had first half leads in most of them it never really felt like we had the better roster.

I think the first half of the season is going to end up being better than the second.

Toss out Auburn because they're a potential (likely in my opinion) Final Four team.
All the other games were winnable had the Orange responded or closed well.
They didn't.
Past performance doesn't guarantee future results.
But it's our only guide.
This is .500-ish team.
By that measure the most that can be expected is perhaps an 8-6 finish.

Last edited:
Any other Syracuse team but this one. It’s too bad they didn’t rattle off a bunch of good wins, it wouldn’t make that loss look so awful, unfortunately Colgate sucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom