14 games left. I think we win 10 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

14 games left. I think we win 10

Please, please, please get me some of whatever you are drinking if you really believe this team goes 10 and 4 the rest of the way.

As Parcells said, you are what the record says you are......no excuses...the record says we are not very good. And for those who rationalize close losses against tough opponents, what about some of the WhatTF losses we have suffered ???

We can’t ignore how the 5 were lost, whether it be awful awareness, poor coaching, or extremely low iq. Bad teams find a way to lose games, until we can show we can win close games I have no faith that we can.
We are losing them because we lack a lead guard that can make plays in pressure situations.

Our 5 starters are SPENT at the end of each game. Let’s try subbing an entire new five off the bench at times, like FL State did. Oh wait……..
How long do we have to wait for this strategy?

Last edited:
In his first example Dick uses a fictional coach in a hypothetical situation. He is not using one of the greatest football coaches of all time. In the second example his is citing DB, and he is not a hall of fame coach either.

Actually, you read something into my post that was not there. I was not referring to either JB or Dino at all. Not remotely. I was using the examples of a football team missing scoring chances (and ultimately losing the game) as well as a football team losing games they could have won (and ultimately not making a bowl) and relating those scenarios to how our close basketball losses this month could be the deciding factor in our final post-season aspirations. It could just as easily have been a comparison to a baseball team leaving a ton of guys on base through the first five innings and then losing a close game. When you have your fate in your own hands and you fail to take advantage, it often does not end well.

The OP expressed optimism that we could have a good second half of the season. I think one could have some valid points to use in that prediction (as well as valid points the other way). My response had more to do with the idea that we have made our predicament vis a vis our final record much harder by blowing games (albeit against decent teams) that we could have won.

When you put yourself too far behind, even a good final sprint isn't always enough to win the race. That is also a metaphor that is not meant to have any reference to JB or Dino, nor does it imply that our hoops team even has a final sprint in them. Just a sports metaphor that I can use to avoid coming up with original words of my own...

We are losing them because we lack a lead guard that can make plays in pressure situations.
You’re right, but there is more to that, we can probably not get to end game situations if we had a lead guard playing all game, I’ve been preaching this for two years. That said we don’t have a lead guard or refuse to play one. We’ve lost a game because we had Jimmy at center, we lost a game because we refused to foul, call a timeout, or made a stupid decision, we almost lost another game because we couldn’t box out on a free throw because we didn’t put a bigger guy in off the bench.

Lead guard is a huge problem, but we suck at crunch time whether it’s coaching or execution or both.

Our 5 starters are SPENT at the end of each game. Let’s try subbing an entire new five off the bench at times, like FL State did. How long do we have to wait for this strategy?
Your point is well taken. Your solution not so much. Clearly we need to spread the minutes, but other than arguably Torrence, who else could even be put in without a major talent drop off. Bennie and Frank both have a long ways to go to be anywhere near starting caliber players.....and that only get us to 8. There just are not another two on the roster that you could even think about bringing in as part of a complete second five.

Our 5 starters are SPENT at the end of each game. Let’s try subbing an entire new five off the bench at times, like FL State did. Oh wait……..
How long do we have to wait for this strategy?
When I saw FSU sub the entire team I thought to myself, “how good is their recruiting that they can sub the entire lineup?” The related thought is “how bad are our athletes that we wouldn’t be able to do the same?” We just don’t seem to have the size and athleticism to compete with FSU recruiting in basketball?!

Either side, correct. So far it’s been on the losing side. If you’re talking about probability, we should start seeing more on the winning side.

You'd think that with such a large collection of high hoops IQ players, that we'd fare a little better in these close games?

Hmmm, maybe those hoops IQ's aren't Mensa level after all...

I guess the questions now are:
  • are they gym rats?
  • do they bring their lunchpails?
  • are they scrappy? gritty? hardnosed?
  • do they play the game 'the right way'?
  • would you want your daughter to date them?

Your point is well taken. Your solution not so much. Clearly we need to spread the minutes, but other than arguably Torrence, who else could even be put in without a major talent drop off. Bennie and Frank both have a long ways to go to be anywhere near starting caliber players...and that only get us to 8. There just are not another two on the roster that you could even think about bringing in as part of a complete second five.
good reply. I was a bit sarcastic. My hidden point was that we need to use all of our scholarships.

You'd think that with such a large collection of high hoops IQ players, that we'd fare a little better in these close games?

Hmmm, maybe those hoops IQ's aren't Mensa level after all...

I guess the questions now are:
  • are they gym rats?
  • do they bring their lunchpails?
  • are they scrappy? gritty? hardnosed?
  • do they play the game 'the right way'?
  • would you want your daughter to date them?
This is why I rarely look at “intangibles”, to they play a part sometimes, I guess, but unless there is data behind a take I deem the take pointless and useless. Just because I take the 4 people closest to me doesn’t mean I can go against 5 great players who hate each other and win. Some of the greatest teams of all time have the worst intangibles ever.

Colgate is 6-10. I mean I suppose it’s possible they could win the Patriot League tourney, but that could apply to any team.
E, Colgate is the reigning power of the Patriot conference. They really played a huge OOC for their level, but they are full of seniors and are still the team to beat there. With that OOC experience, if they get in the NCAAT, they could win a game, maybe 2.

FYI your top 5 matters none. The conference is awful. If you want to excuse a loss to an unranked team because they are top 5 in the conference- you are only further proving my point.

What part of being 8-9 and under .500 with a handful of bad losses already don't you understand? What part of being 223 in adjD (worst ever for a cuse team on Ken Pom that i can recall) don't you get?
We aren't a good basketball team.

Worst ACC since 1999. I hate storz but it was bullcrap that too many on TV that should know better were calling the 1999 title game one of the sport's bigger upsets. Duke went undefeated through an awful ACC, only losing to Cincinnati in a holiday tournament. Made a mint betting money I didn't have as a college senior on the storz spread and money line.

When I saw FSU sub the entire team I thought to myself, “how good is their recruiting that they can sub the entire lineup?” The related thought is “how bad are our athletes that we wouldn’t be able to do the same?” We just don’t seem to have the size and athleticism to compete with FSU recruiting in basketball?!
Also JB constructed the roster to not have the option of a hockey substitution.

It's funny. I first read this and though you were saying 10 wins total. Which is only 2 more. I thought that was not realistic. Now I realize you mean 10 out of our next 14 we win. Not sure which is crazier.

We don't want to open this can of worms.
Go ahead, we're grown & i can handle it. Besides we're allowed to disagree, i just present whatever facts there are to make my opinion.
with ur response im sure ur goin to say boeheim which is fine, i just disagree but i will say this, he had the potential to be cause he's obviously very intelligent but also very stubborn. I definitely feel if he adapted & mixed things up when he needed to he definitely would have won 1 or 2 more titles.

Worst ACC since 1999. I hate storz but it was bullcrap that too many on TV that should know better were calling the 1999 title game one of the sport's bigger upsets. Duke went undefeated through an awful ACC, only losing to Cincinnati in a holiday tournament. Made a mint betting money I didn't have as a college senior on the storz spread and money line.
Yeah i know! I looked thru the league and definately 1 of the worst and we still easily could have his 1st losing season

Yeah i know! I looked thru the league and definately 1 of the worst and we still easily could have his 1st losing season
We dont know about duke's transition yet besides that recruiting has definitely NOT fallin off at all but imo UNC could a done better with their coaching search but theres still time for him to get better.

ACC needs those teams and some others i didnt mention to continue to be in the present, future for the ACC to be good, the top conf.

We dont know about duke's transition yet besides that recruiting has definitely NOT fallin off at all but imo UNC could a done better with their coaching search but theres still time for him to get better.

ACC needs those teams and some others i didnt mention to continue to be in the present, future for the ACC to be good, the top conf.
The Duke "friends of the program" infrastructure is secure and won't miss a beat with Scheyer in charge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom