14 games left. I think we win 10 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

14 games left. I think we win 10

That is the conference we playin, those are the teams we have to defeat.

Yes that is a correct statement. It does not however do anything to help your point. It's a bad conference and outside Duke there isn't a team to excuse a loss to because of their ranking in the conference. Keep those goal posts in one spot.

They don’t look “into the season” now. I can’t even believe what I’m seeing game in and game out.

I don't disagree although there has been a little fight left.

A nice 10-4 finish puts us at 18-13. Even with that you would need to win the ACC tournament to get in unless two of those wins are against Duke.

Home games against Clemson, BC, Duke, Louisville, Wake, Georgia Tech, Miami

Road games: at BC, at Pitt, at NC State, at Va Tech,, at Duke at ND, at UNC

Regardless I will watch to the bitter end!

Cuse!
I rarely read the threads on the hoops board in-season although I read the links every day. Just a quick comment on your observation though.

I think your optimism isn't entirely unfounded, but it might not matter. In this month we have four losses against teams in the upper reaches of the conference, and they have been close losses. We have lost but we have been competitive. Despite what some proclaim, we don't suck.

However...there comes a time when you have to pull those out if you want to look ahead to the post season. I can think of two football metaphors: 1) how often do you see a game where a team gets in the red zone several times in the first quarter. However, they come away with nothing and that "nothing" bites them in the butt in the final score. 2) SU football had close losses a number of times this year before being blown out in the last quarter of the season. However, had they won even one of those close games, it would have gotten them a bid to "the official bowl-like event hosted by the chamber of commerce of some city in order to bring in $$$ and featuring two 6-6 teams that shouldn't be anywhere near the post season but now feel successful".

At the end of the football game or the end of the football season, you look back on those scoring drives or those closes losses that got away. My point is that SU hoops is playing competitively against decent foes, but you have to win more of those close ones. We may well win our share the rest of the way, but we have dug a pretty deep hole at this point and that hole may well likely prevent any semblance of overall success for the season.

I rarely read the threads on the hoops board in-season although I read the links every day. Just a quick comment on your observation though.

I think your optimism isn't entirely unfounded, but it might not matter. In this month we have four losses against teams in the upper reaches of the conference, and they have been close losses. We have lost but we have been competitive. Despite what some proclaim, we don't suck.

However...there comes a time when you have to pull those out if you want to look ahead to the post season. I can think of two football metaphors: 1) how often do you see a game where a team gets in the red zone several times in the first quarter. However, they come away with nothing and that "nothing" bites them in the butt in the final score. 2) SU football had close losses a number of times this year before being blown out in the last quarter of the season. However, had they won even one of those close games, it would have gotten them a bid to "the official bowl-like event hosted by the chamber of commerce of some city in order to bring in $$$ and featuring two 6-6 teams that shouldn't be anywhere near the post season but now feel successful".

At the end of the football game or the end of the football season, you look back on those scoring drives or those closes losses that got away. My point is that SU hoops is playing competitively against decent foes, but you have to win more of those close ones. We may well win our share the rest of the way, but we have dug a pretty deep hole at this point and that hole may well likely prevent any semblance of overall success for the season.
In the 2 examples given Dick, the coach of record wasn't in one case for sure and probably in the other as well, one the greatest coaches of all time. IMO THE GOAT.

10-4 lol not a chance, I wish we had that potential but thats just not a reality with this team. I appreciate all the effort the kids give game in and game out but they just are not able to win games at that level. A .500 season would be a huge success, huge.
Exactly! This team with this version of coach no shot in hell! Besides maybe a losing record will give coach a dose of reality & bend a lil bit in his unbreakable habit in his coaching regimen

The problem that some on this and the football board have that they like to point to the losses that got away and not remember the games we won that we could have lost...Virginia Tech in football is an easy example.

to me, you are what your record is. We’re 8-9. That’s bad, that means we are bad.

The problem that some on this and the football board have that they like to point to the losses that got away and not remember the games we won that we could have lost...Virginia Tech in football is an easy example.

to me, you are what your record is. We’re 8-9. That’s bad, that means we are bad.

PA

What in the absolute effe are you talking about here??
Please….translate.
In his first example Dick uses a fictional coach in a hypothetical situation. He is not using one of the greatest football coaches of all time. In the second example his is citing DB, and he is not a hall of fame coach either. Boeheim is a HOF coach and one of the GOATs, and I would give him a much better chance at righting the ship, as he has done numerous times before.

You’re right, the basketball team could have lost to Indiana and FSU. It does work both ways. We’ve still lost more close games than we’ve won. Our fortunes can change. That’s exactly the point.

You’re right, the basketball team could have lost to Indiana and FSU. It does work both ways. We’ve still lost more close games than we’ve won. Our fortunes can change. That’s exactly the point.

Yep. They can.

But the consideration should be if they are likely to change.

Of course we shouldn’t speak in absolutes (we’ll lose all the close games or win all the close games).

Saying something *can* happen really is a throw away. I think most people understand that we’re prob about as good as our record. I would wager we’ve lost more of the close ones than won bc we aren’t a good team.

So, yes, fortunes *can* change. People *can* win the lottery.

The likely situation is that we are just not a very good team. We aren’t a bottom feeder. We’re prob around a .500 team, five or take a few games on either side.

That should be the point.

Yep. They can.

But the consideration should be if they are likely to change.

Of course we shouldn’t speak in absolutes (we’ll lose all the close games or win all the close games).

Saying something *can* happen really is a throw away. I think most people understand that we’re prob about as good as our record. I would wager we’ve lost more of the close ones than won bc we aren’t a good team.

So, yes, fortunes *can* change. People *can* win the lottery.

The likely situation is that we are just not a very good team. We aren’t a bottom feeder. We’re prob around a .500 team, five or take a few games on either side.

That should be the point.
Either side, correct. So far it’s been on the losing side. If you’re talking about probability, we should start seeing more on the winning side.

Either side, correct. So far it’s been on the losing side. If you’re talking about probability, we should start seeing more on the winning side.

I don’t think we’ll see it, but that’s why we play the games.

A nice 10-4 finish puts us at 18-13. Even with that you would need to win the ACC tournament to get in unless two of those wins are against Duke.

Home games against Clemson, BC, Duke, Louisville, Wake, Georgia Tech, Miami

Road games: at BC, at Pitt, at NC State, at Va Tech,, at Duke at ND, at UNC

Regardless I will watch to the bitter end!

Cuse!
Please stop jinxing us. Your "we're gonna win the next 5 games" prediction was, yeah...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom