16-4 going into game at unc | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

16-4 going into game at unc

RF2044 said:
One game at a time...

I hope the players subscribe to this and strive to get better each game. I hope Buss and BJ get some good minutes to add to their comfort level and confidence, because they will be needed at some point this year and if they become contributors, this team can be very good.

Just of note, I'm not sold on Louisville being that good(better than us) this year. I'm sure they will get better like most, but they had a hard time putting 60 up on Long Beach State last night. Besides Harrell and Rozier, nobody else is really capable for them offensively. Jones and Blackshear have both shot below 40 percent overall and less than 30 from three. Virginia and Duke are much better IMO.

Cusefan0307 said:
Just of note, I'm not sold on Louisville being that good(better than us) this year. I'm sure they will get better like most, but they had a hard time putting 60 up on Long Beach State last night. Besides Harrell and Rozier, nobody else is really capable for them offensively. Jones and Blackshear have both shot below 40 percent overall and less than 30 from three. Virginia and Duke are much better IMO.

Have you watched Louisville this year?

Cusefan0307 said:

Louisville hasn't impressed me at all this year. Definitely not a top 5-10 team.

Have you watched Louisville this year?

Five or six games. Jones 30 % overall from the field, Blackshear 29% from three. They won't be able to overload the zone this year.

Louisville hasn't impressed me at all this year. Definitely not a top 5-10 team.

The problem is that their may not be 10 teams good enough to be top10 teams this year. I know that makes no sense because someone has to be but its really a sad sack of muddled middling teams after the top 7 or 8 IMO and Lville is one of those top 7 or 8 even though IMO they are beatable and have some issues of their own.

I don't think last years team was necessarily better than this years team. This team improving. Last years team kind of just stayed the same. If this years team continues to improve each game as they have been, I think this years team will be better than last year.
I agree. the big difference was last years team found a way to pull out 5-6 games in the last couple possessions, perhaps thats a sign of being better, but you dont do that every year . we could easily have started last year around 15-5 as can this team.

aftre

after duke/kent who has looked good most of their games?

Right and even those two have had a couple of real dopey dog halves against some crap teams.

Last edited:
the worst ACC team we play will be much better than anyone we have beat (outside of MAYBE Iowa). so i mean, yeah we could go 4-4 in the next 8. its far from a wild prediction (which i am not making by the way).

Not saying you're making the prediction. I just think 12-8 would require something catastrophic to happen. Miami's the only decent team coming up.

Strong, consistent D is the key. The O is starting to come along as long as G and TC can continue their recent trend of knocking down shots and aggressiveness. We'll see how KJ responds in conf play, but he is trending upward in overall confidence, less a few bonehead freshman plays. McC knows he needs to be more physical, and where better to start doing that than in conf play. Rak will remain a rock. Not sure about TR yet. If the O plays well like recently, then the key to Ws is the D, as it usually is.

Can we go on a streak like the OP says? Sure, but I agree with one game at a time and building on an upward trend.

the worst ACC team we play will be much better than anyone we have beat (outside of MAYBE Iowa). so i mean, yeah we could go 4-4 in the next 8. its far from a wild prediction (which i am not making by the way).

Iowa is inconsistent as heck. But they are way better than GA Tech, VA Tech, Clemson or Wake Forest especially if they can keep playing like they did at Ohio State yesterday.

Not saying you're making the prediction. I just think 12-8 would require something catastrophic to happen. Miami's the only decent team coming up.

i hope u are right.

Virginia. They go 9 deep. Wouldn't be surprised if they won the ACC again. They don't go to Duke.
and they looked awful most of the game yesterday, lucky they werent down 20, being at home saved them

If this team finds a way to make tough baskets in the halfcourt against tough defense I am conviced they could take anyone to the wire. It would be best for this team to stop expecting open looks for long stretches.

Last edited:
Blackshear is a glue guy that seems to make the correct play when they need it the most. Stats do no justice to a guy like that. They could use a shooter but they are pretty damned good.

Agree

Based on the season thus far, I'd say 15-5 is most likely. With that said, we go to 15-5 , we're getting some votes in the top 25.

Unfortunately I don't think we're capable of winning that many conference games in a row. It's not a slight on this team, it's very difficult to do regardless.

I think we can all agree that last years team was better than this years team and last years team lost to BC, NCST, and GTech. I mean it's just very difficult for me to add that many wins to our record without a blink of an eye. At the end of the day our best victory is against an inconsistent Iowa team. I wish I could share the optimism but I'd genuinely be happy if we walk out of this with two losses.

Ugh...you had to remind me about last year and the two most unacceptable losses in the regular season - BC and GT at home, no less. :bang:

I think the NC State loss in the ACCT was karma for beating them they way we did during the regular season.

This season has been more frustrating early on, but has the potential of surprising us if things go a certain way.

Time will tell.

Cheers,
Neil

Licking my chops looking at that schedule. 16-4 will be tough but certainly feasible.

By my estimation we need to go at least 14-6 because our February schedule looks pretty brutal. Dreading the stretch starting Feb 7th at Pittsburgh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom