#19 in Coaches / #14 in AP | Syracusefan.com

#19 in Coaches / #14 in AP

I'm a little surprised we didn't jump a little higher. I can't wait to see the list of the 5 or so teams in front of us. Obviously, none of this matters at this point, but I'm still interested in seeing who was slotted in front of Syracuse.

Yes, after the #13s and a #12 that I saw this morning, this is a bit disappointing. My expectations were soaring. How dare they only move us from no votes at all to #19. Not a big enough jump!!

I'm a little surprised we didn't jump a little higher. I can't wait to see the list of the 5 or so teams in front of us. Obviously, none of this matters at this point, but I'm still interested in seeing who was slotted in front of Syracuse.
I've got no problem with UC and X being ahead of SU still. Each just won their tournament they played in also and Xavier in particular is just flat out kicking butt (Missouri, Michigan, Alabama, USC and Dayton). Should be a great crosstown shootout this year.

Not over concerned about # 19 ranking. Not much shift at the top 10 or 12. Now Syracuse is in the top 25, need to solidify the ranking to weather challenging schedule out in front of us. Interesting to see that Texas A&M moved up 5 positions after beating Gonzaga. That really makes the Syracuse win over A&M look that much stronger.

I would have kept uconn in by virtue of playing gonzaga well. Nice to see aTm move up and providence make an appearance though.

How does the AP rank Wichita State at 20th with a 2-4 record? They haven't beaten anybody? Is that a mistake?

First time in history there's a four loss team in the AP poll at this time. ...getting serious duke caliber benefit of the doubt there.

How does the AP rank Wichita State at 20th with a 2-4 record? They haven't beaten anybody? Is that a mistake?
I'm not seeing that. I don't see them in the top 25 at all.

I know Van Vleet is hurt but you gotta drop Wichita State till he is healthy. If pollsters are going to give them the benefit of the doubt this early teams shouldn't drop when they lose on the road against higher ranked teams.

I could see ranking a 2-4 team if they played 2004 Michigan State's schedule. They played Kansas, UCLA, Oklahoma, Duke, Kentucky, Syracuse before January 4th.

That schedule I could rank a team with that many losses.

The AP fixed the error. It had Wichita State and West Virginia tied for 20th and no Baylor before.

No problem it made no sense now it does.

Wow. Very impressive jumps into both polls, well deserved IMHO given how we performed last week against two ranked opponents.

Seems like a good spot for us -- we're not "overrated," and we have room to climb if we close out what is shaping up as a quality out of conference schedule.

And while we're playing fairly well, we still have a lot of room for improvement. How much we improve will be the determinant of how this season goes. We're rated right about where we should be, IMO.

Not a surprise to see the AP higher than the coaches. The AP has always been the one to react to change much more quickly. I think many coaches just change the top 10, and pretty much use the same top 25 as last week. So it's slower for teams to move up.. and slower for teams to move out.

This has always been the case when any team just quickly into the rankings. The polls should even themselves out by next week.

We didn't receive any votes going in to the week, going to be hard to jump that high, top 20 is fine with me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom