1996 Syracuse vs. Virginia Tech | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

1996 Syracuse vs. Virginia Tech

We were one of the few teams that gave athletic qb's (yes they were often black) the chance to stay at qb when other teams only wanted them for other positions. It was mentioned often in the media in the late '80's and early '90's. By the time McNabb graduated many more peer schools had become more comfortable with them and we lost our preferred recruiting pitch.

That was su's moneyball edge. Once the big markets adapted it was game over

I'll (respectfully) disagree with your disagreement. Those schedules were made when Miami was among the greatest programs in college football history. And we scheduled THREE major conference teams OOC in each year. That's at least one too many, probably two. Granted, I didn't complain at the time, so I'm applying 20/20 hindsight. But it's clear that we were scheduling with an independent mentality years after we were not an independent anymore.

And FWIW, in '99 VaTech made the national title game by going 11-0 against a schedule where they beat four opponents ranked 16 and higher at the time they played them (#24 UVA, #16 SU, #19 Miami, #22 BC). Seeing as three of those were in-conference, I suspect compiling a similar resume would have been fine.
They also needed pedo st to lose and they got that help

Yeah, and our offense was so dependent on that athletic dynamic qb that we couldn't keep up when we didn't have that.
If there was a deeper market for LBGT quarterbacks then we could carve a new niche to greatness again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom