2015 NFL season general discussion thread | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

2015 NFL season general discussion thread

Manning played very poorly in the first half 8 for 21 72 yards, 0 TDs, 1 INT. Offense scored 0 points.
Manning played very well in the second half 202yards 2 TDs, 1 INT. Offense scored 17 points.

17 points, 2 turnovers against a mediocre D is mediocre play. However, if you go by Manning's boxscores for the year this probably his second best game.
Which isn't a great thing. Manning's QB rating is 30th out of 32 and his QBR is 21st out of 32.

Manning is what is holding Denver back right now. It is understandable because he is 39 but is the fact. With the weather getting worse I don't expect Manning's arm to get better in elements.

To play devil's advocate, he had a +5.3 from PFF this week, which will probably be somewhere around 3rd highest in the league this week.

To play devil's advocate, he had a +5.3 from PFF this week, which will probably be somewhere around 3rd highest in the league this week.
PFF is a source but I lost a lot of faith in them when in week 4 they gave Aaron Rodgers a negative grade when he threw for 5 TDs 0 INTs and 321 yards against KC on MNF.

PFF does do some good stuff but their +/- tool for QBs is insane sometimes.

BTW are you Packers or Bills fan? Cause I know you like the Bucks in the NBA.

PFF is a source but I lost a lot of faith in them when in week 4 they gave Aaron Rodgers a negative grade when he threw for 5 TDs 0 INTs and 321 yards against KC on MNF.

They did the same to Tannehill that week he blew up. But they explained it throw by throw. They did the same for that Rodgers game. Again not perfect, but I think it's the best system to get a real idea of how a players performance was. I would like some competition for them though.

And don't short him, it was +5.7. Lol, he needs all the plus points he can get.

They did the same to Tannehill that week he blew up. But they explained it throw by throw. They did the same for that Rodgers game. Again not perfect, but I think it's the best system to get a real idea of how a players performance was. I would like some competition for them though.
Munson is a tool. PFF is a information tool to look at and not trust. They put out good info. There is no way you could watch Rodgers against KC and give him a negative grade.
Tannenhill against Houston was throwing screens that Houston couldn't tackle. Rodgers played well and craved up KC. Munson tried arguing Brady wasn't a top 5 QB.

Looking at PFF is fine but I don't trust their rankings like they are the best. I can respect any opinion it doesn't mean its the right.

Not a fan of TNF?

Defense only gave up 14 but I agree that the low point total is misleading. Hughes showed up in the second half along with Darby's typical shutdown performance.

I'm fine with it but players, esp. on the road don't seem to like it (which of course I don't care about except when it's the Bills).

My family are all Bills fans so I watch them and root for them basically every week; the Tampa Bay Bucs are my favorite team though.

I do think the PFF QB numbers could use some tinkering, but regarding the Rodgers game for example, it's because they don't take into account stuff like calling the perfect audible at the line/getting the defensive line to jump offsides so that you can take a random shot down the field and stuff like that. Most of Rodgers' production in that game was just hitting guys in the flats and letting them do all the work/the stuff I referred to before that PFF has no way of taking into account.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...o-hire-dan-quinn-but-owner-wanted-joe-philbin

Came across this a month ago. Notice one in the comments section [ahem] seeing thru the B.S. in the midst of all of the predictable takes. As if anyone knew the guy with the best QB is the best 1st yr HC after 4 games.

How convenient for Tannenbaum this was leaked when ATL was 4-0 and not in the preseason, or now, after losing to TB & SF (and nearly Wash before that). Nice PR work Mike. Politic much?

TNF is terrible imo. There's enough going on every week without it. I think it waters down the product. And one thing I've heard over and over, by every single player to a man, is they can't stand it. And it doesn't matter if it's on the road or home. It interrupts their whole routine. Monday night games already do that.

Easily solution if the NFL insistent on TNF. Extend the schedule an extra week. Give every team 2 bye weeks and mandate every team playing on TNF is coming off a bye week. Now Dallas and Detroit would have the same bye week every year for one of their two bye weeks. However, this would add an extra Sunday broadcast window for FB and more TV money and make Thursday games between 2 rested teams.

Also, an extra bye week wouldn't be the worst thing for player safety to let them get rest.

I'm fine with it but players, esp. on the road don't seem to like it (which of course I don't care about except when it's the Bills).
Hopefully being 6-7 hours away, a short 30-40 minute flight negates the road aspect to a degree.

My worry is this team gets way too amped and as we saw against NE, that's not a good thing. Hopefully Rex can keep them focused and not turn them into a bunch of personal foul, undisciplined psychopaths out there.

Excited to see our offense, finally healthy, against the Jets defense. Also excited to see Gilmore/Darby vs Marshall/Decker. Hopefully our linebackers stop sucking and don't get run over by Ivory.

Can someone explain Miami's offense to me? I'm pretty sure they think they are a college team.
Miami needs to use their RB Miller and have Tannenhill throw short passes to his weapons Landry, Parker, Stills Matthews, Cameron.
I don't get their offense either. That team has playoff talent. However, losing Wake killed their D.

Miami's offense was 8th in Football Outsiders' ranks last year. I think Lazor would've been a hot HC candidate had their defense not collapsed at the end of the year. They seem to get the ball to their best players a fair amount. The OL is like most teams - which is not good but not as bad as their fans think.
Even though most people I respect seem to like him, I'm not sure Tannehill is any good. He's accurate on short stuff and has a good arm, but accuracy on deep stuff is awful (he overthrew Mike Wallace a lot which is hard to do) and probably not that bright. Butchering the clock at the end of the half like they did is more on the QB than the coach imo.
And ya their defense is stars & scrubs which makes injuries like Wake hurt even more than most teams.

Hopefully being 6-7 hours away, a short 30-40 minute flight negates the road aspect to a degree.

My worry is this team gets way too amped and as we saw against NE, that's not a good thing. Hopefully Rex can keep them focused and not turn them into a bunch of personal foul, undisciplined psychopaths out there.

Excited to see our offense, finally healthy, against the Jets defense. Also excited to see Gilmore/Darby vs Marshall/Decker. Hopefully our linebackers stop sucking and don't get run over by Ivory.

Exactly my concern! I'm real worried that they will be too hyped up about playing Rex's old team and lose control. I'm encouraged by this weekend. Sammy realized he will get targeted if he actually plays. Tyshawn seemed to be really solid from what I read and two 100 yard rushers.

Incidentally, I kept reading the preseason camp reports from Fairburn on syracuse.com and he kept referencing how bad Cassell and Manuel looked in practice at times. I had a hard time believing they could be that bad in practice. After watching EJ's turnover mania in London and Cassell playing in Dallas - well I can believe it now!

Is Denver the only road team to win on Thursday this year?

Is Denver the only road team to win on Thursday this year?
I like Thursday night and not sure about this year, but the Giants won on the road last year.

It's patsy week here, so make sure the home security system works and drive with with the car doors locked.

Cheaters and criminals are coming...

Last edited:
Baltimore, Denver, Seattle all won on TNF this year on the road.

BTW Kaiser the Patriots are very balanced this year. How good is the NYG OL and pass rush?
NE has a very good front 7 and they rested their best defensive player yesterday Jamie Collins. Chandler Jones is playing his best football of his career and is leading the NFL in sacks.

If the NYG can't get pressure on Brady they will this game. I am sure NYG and Eli will score some points. This is one of the two games I can see the Pats losing. What is the point spread?

Baltimore, Denver, Seattle all won on TNF this year on the road.

BTW Kaiser the Patriots are very balanced this year. How good is the NYG OL and pass rush?
NE has a very good front 7 and they rested their best defensive player yesterday Jamie Collins. Chandler Jones is playing his best football of his career and is leading the NFL in sacks.

If the NYG can't get pressure on Brady they will this game. I am sure NYG and Eli will score some points. This is one of the two games I can see the Pats losing. What is the point spread?
Pretty consistent at Patriots -7

Pretty consistent at Patriots -7
That seems high. The Pats were -7.5 at Indy. I think the Giants are more than .5 points better than the Colts in gambling circles.

I wouldn't lay a full TD and feel good. I thought it would start around 5.5 or 6.

That seems high. The Pats were -7.5 at Indy. I think the Giants are more than .5 points better than the Colts in gambling circles.

I wouldn't lay a full TD and feel good. I thought it would start around 5.5 or 6.
Yeah, it was pretty consistent across the different betting sites. We'll see what happens as the week progresses.

This is likely a loss, but we will size them up quite well.

I expect BB to expose jpp somehow embarrassingly.

Prince should be back, maybe Cruz and I think Beatty HAS to be activated, so he will help the OL.

OLs problem is run blocking and he's a decent grater.

Needed the pokes to win last night...

I just looked at the Giants schedule. Wow its hard
Pats, Jets, Panthers, Eagles at home
Redskins, Dolphins, Vikings on the road.

Eagles have Dolphins, Bucs, Bills, Cardinals, Redskins at home
Pats, Lions, Giants on the road.

9-7 for sure wins the NFC East. 8-8 is very likely to be good enough.
Pats/Dolphins could swing the NFC East.

This is likely a loss, but we will size them up quite well.

I expect BB to expose jpp somehow embarrassingly.

Prince should be back, maybe Cruz and I think Beatty HAS to be activated, so he will help the OL.

OLs problem is run blocking and he's a decent grater.

Needed the pokes to win last night...
Really needed the 'Girls' to win. :bang:

Bwaha. There's a reason everyone thought +5 in Philly was way too much when it wasn't. Every stat Vegas cares about indicates the Giants are an absolute fraud. Unsustainable turnover luck with return TD's. Tampa outgained them by 2 yards per play which is unheard of for the winning team and that was with Mike Evans dropping about 100 yards.