2015 NFL season general discussion thread | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

2015 NFL season general discussion thread

12240904_1025026007544087_3854163053388980468_o.jpg

HAHAHAHA

Sorry, this was posted over on the humor forum and I just had to share it.

Justin Tuck was the SB 42 MVP if I had a vote. He played possessed against a HOF OL in Logan Mankins. NYG DL is why they have beaten NE.
17-14, 28-24, 21-17. The Pats typically score in high 20's the NYG DL has shut down NE passing game.

With no Donnell the Pats can put Chung on Vereen. I think Pats will double Beckham w/Harmon which means whomever your 2nd and 3rd WRs will get single coverage.

This year Brady is getting rid of the ball on average 2.1 seconds if the NYG DL doesn't get pressure then unless OL gets more injuries they will score a lot.
looks like they cant put collins on vereen so if its chung, id like to think Tye catches a few at TE.

hate being right that i called cruz back after the bye week, same with Prince.

No JPP in the Saints game, so no pass rush, but the deep routes were open all day. Could of been 8 touchdowns if Brees didn't actually overthrow Brandin Cooks on the first play of the game on what would of been an 80 yd TD.

I could see LaFell having a big game for New England. Giants safeties are terrible.
Yeah Brees was special that game. JPP can't line up at RDE because of the oven mitt he is wearing. He can't put that mitt on the ground and pass rush thus he has to lineup at LDE the non-blind side. I am not worried about the health of the NE OL.

Gronk will probably be a decoy this week if the NYG suck against TEs. I would expect NYG to double him.

Brady is my opponent's in fantasy this week which sucks because wow the NYG D looks bad.

looks like they cant put collins on vereen so if its chung, id like to think Tye catches a few at TE.

hate being right that i called cruz back after the bye week, same with Prince.
Collins has a viral infection and is questionable not sure he is out yet. They wouldn't put Collins on Vereen unless the TE is a huge receiving treat and Chung would cover the TE. However, without Donnell I think the NE D will gameplan for Vereen and Beckham. Chung can cover Vereen and play de facto LB as a SS.

The key matchup in this one will be NYG OL vs. NE front 7. I don't expect NYG running game to be a threat. Shread is likely back for this game so the Pats will another good pass rusher in the rotation.

Slightly off (recent) topic - great line from SI.com:

This New York Jets-Buffalo Bills game promises to remind you why the New England Patriots win the AFC East every year.

Slightly off (recent) topic - great line from SI.com:

This New York Jets-Buffalo Bills game promises to remind you why the New England Patriots win the AFC East every year.
No no you are forgetting it is obviously because the Patriots cheat the best.

longislandcuse said:
Sweet! Already screwed on a call.

I'm in a bar, looked pretty clear from here with no sound

And 40 non-partisan football watchers thought no first down

I'm SURE they'll do the Bills a solid since they blew the call

Why was there no sense of urgency on that drive? We could have gotten a TD if we had moved a little quicker!

Last edited:
This is pathetic. 22-3 gone just like that.

Watkins almost gave the Jets a chance. McCoy getting a first down ended the game though.
Bills/Jets/Steelers 5-4
Raiders 4-4

Jets have a soft schedule coming up so this loss keeps the wild race open.

I'm gonna say this before the game is over. Late in the third right before the Jets' TD - I'm watching the game clock on the screen and it says 3:13 to go in the 3rd. Before my eyes it suddenly jumps to over 5 minutes. No drugs and no drinking I swear.

This is pathetic. 22-3 gone just like that.

Well I obviously spoke too soon and I'll own it. But sheesh, can we close the deal a little better for crying out loud? I'll take the win and shut up though!

upload_2015-11-12_23-29-38.jpeg

Bills jerseys looked like the Patriots throwbacks. The power of the red helped the Bills.

Rex looks like he was trying to break the world record for F bombs at the end. Wow I was surprised the TV producers showed that.

As a Bills fan that had all the hallmarks of the classic Bills choke job but they got just enough offense at the end, Mccoy is ridiculous. Good think Buffalo I was really hoping to have to rely on Syracuse on Saturday.

McCoy was insane tonight and the defense looked like how this defense is supposed to look. (And that was without Mario, Kyle and Aaron Williams).

Watkins numbers won't get much notice but 2 of his 3 catches he straight up worked Revis for a 3rd down conversion.

Can Roman stop with the roll out with short 2 yard patterns. It NEVER works.

longislandcuse said:
McCoy was insane tonight and the defense looked like how this defense is supposed to look. (And that was without Mario, Kyle and Aaron Williams). Watkins numbers won't get much notice but 2 of his 3 catches he straight up worked Revis for a 3rd down conversion. Can Roman stop with the roll out with short 2 yard patterns. It NEVER works.

Roman is pretty bad, let's just say it

Let's all say it together: in the NFL you may get away with an incredibly slow-developing play-action pass after you've established the run and maybe 1-2 times a game...but it can't be a staple of the offense. It just can't, there generally isn't time.

In addition to the poor play selection, it "seems" to take him forever to get them in the game.

I say "seems" because I'm pretty sure the play-clock operator was clicking the 25 second button instead of the 40 second button many times almost the entire 2H

They caught it once but it was very obvious to me in the bar.

Roman is pretty bad, let's just say it

Let's all say it together: in the NFL you may get away with an incredibly slow-developing play-action pass after you've established the run and maybe 1-2 times a game...but it can't be a staple of the offense. It just can't, there generally isn't time.

In addition to the poor play selection, it "seems" to take him forever to get them in the game.

I say "seems" because I'm pretty sure the play-clock operator was clicking the 25 second button instead of the 40 second button many times almost the entire 2H

They caught it once but it was very obvious to me in the bar.
Play clock did seem really fast. And I'm telling you (see above) 2 minutes were added to the game clock (as it appeared on TV) late in the 3rd Q.

Play clock did seem really fast. And I'm telling you (see above) 2 minutes were added to the game clock (as it appeared on TV) late in the 3rd Q.

Here I go again with the conspiracies, but I think/bet what was happening is this...and it really only happened in the later 3Q and early 4Q, which is ironically when the Bills were trying to burn clock (we can debate the merits of this strategy) and the Jets needed the ball back...

But what I think was happening:

The play clock operator was clicking the 25 second button and letting it tick for 4-5 seconds...and then it was like "Oh, no, there can't be just 20 seconds left before the next play", so he hits the 25 second reset

The net effect is there was just 30 seconds provided to the Bills between plays to get their snap off. I noticed this at least 3-4 times, maybe more. ONE time the refs noticed the clock was at like 5 seconds too soon and they reset it again, but the Bills really suffered here with TOs

Now, this is another thing I put on the Bills coaches, the dumb meatheads. Challenges and TOs need to improve.

Although, clearly, they should have won that challenge in the 1Q

Yep, really interesting situation I think after a quick analysis...

So, the Bills were up 22-3 and the Jets score a TD to cut the lead to 22-10. The Bills had had no major issues that I saw up until that point with getting plays in and executing before the play clock -- their wasted TOs in the first half were on challenges and so forth...

So, immediately after the Jets score to make it 22-10, all of a sudden the Bills' play-calling mechanisms go akilter and they are having trouble getting the plays in on time...in fact in those three drives after the Jets score their first TD, the Bills have the following things happen to them:

Drive 1 - Forced TO #1 due to play clock running down
Drive 2 - Delay of Game penalty on 3rd Down
Drive 3 - Forced TO #3 due to play clock running down

All the while the plays were getting run in a complete fiasco format at the last second, clearly the Bills timing was thrown off. Part of it certainly was crowd noise, but I think much of it was this play clock issue.

There should be an investigation...there was already a clock operator suspended by the NFL this season so it's not beyond the realm of possibility that something was "wrong"

Again, what I'm saying happened (and we know it happened at least several times, and once was corrected by the officials) was the play clock was immediately set to 25 seconds, then the "mistake" was recognized, and it was "reset" to 25 as that's the default reset about 5-6 seconds into the original, meaning the Bills have 9-10 fewer seconds to in between plays to get set up and burn more clock.

Actually kind of an ingenious move when you consider it...

there's also the issue of the clock not stopping at the end of the half, although the NFL felt it necessary to issue a statement about that particular situation which I disagree with but whatever

I wasn't paying much attention but did notice that somehow, in the second half, we were incapable of getting a play snapped before the play clock was down to 1 or 2 seconds and on one specific play Taylor straight up demanded they reset the clock because the previous play ended, we went into the huddle and before we could even fully huddle up, the clock was down to about 10.

I wasn't paying much attention but did notice that somehow, in the second half, we were incapable of getting a play snapped before the play clock was down to 1 or 2 seconds and on one specific play Taylor straight up demanded they reset the clock because the previous play ended, we went into the huddle and before we could even fully huddle up, the clock was down to about 10.

That's right, on one of the plays I believe the clock operator "forgot" to reset the 25 second clock and it was already at 10 and even the refs were like, uh, that's got to be reset. So back to 25 seconds

My guess is this happened on probably 9 plays (three drives, 3 three/outs)...led to 2 TOs, one Delay, one play where the refs intervened and 5 plays that looked like the Bills had never called a play before because their natural rhythym was upset.

There was one play that was a sack where Tyrod might have been slow.

Who knows, maybe I've hit the pipe again, but I don't think so